Moms and Maids

Junior Bridesmaids

How old should girls be before they can become a junior bridesmaid???

Re: Junior Bridesmaids

• squeakyducksqueakyduck member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on the individual girl. If you and her mother think that she's old enough, go for it. I'd talk to her parents first and see if they think she's old enough before saying anything to the girl. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Traditionally, girls who are too old to be comfortable as a flower girl but too young to be bridesmaids would be put in the junior bridesmaid role, but I'm pretty sure no one's going to card them and say they can't be a junior bridesmaid if they're not in middle school. :)

If you want a younger girl to be your junior bridesmaid, go for it.  There's no set age.
    Photobucket

Best granddaughter ever: Everleigh Brielle, born 01.04.2012

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing a bridesmaid has to do is get an appropriate dress, walk down the aisle, stand respectfully for the ceremony, and smile for pictures.  If she's old enough that she can make it through the ceremony and formal shots without getting fidgety or acting out, she's old enough to be a bridesmaid.  I think the "junior" addendum is silly.  Would you be referring to the others as "senior" bridesmaids?
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    edited December 2011
    There is no minimum age.  Ask them if you want them in the wedding.  It's not like there are wedding police roaming the country checking the IDs of WP members ;)
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • edited December 2011
    I would agree that it depends on the girl.  Flower girls just seem to get younger and younger...including some that can neither walk nor toss flower petals! 
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think there is any set age. I was a "junior bridesmaid" when I was 10 and was a 25 year old "flower girl" in my Uncle's Wedding this past november. I wasn't insulted when he asked us to be the flower girls (which is really what we were throwing pedals down the aisle), we were so excited to be a part of his special day. Like the other brides said, if you want her in it, just ask :) Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    edited December 2011
    How old are the girls you have in mind?  And ditto aerin.  I too had heard the term Jr. Bridesmaid, and didn't really think much about it. 

It wasn't until some here pointed out that it's kind of silly to add the descriptor "Jr." to someone who does exactly the same thing as the other BMs.  As aeirn said, we don't call the "older" BMs Sr. Bridesmaids.  So why add an unneccessary adjective to the younger girls?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to respectfully agree to disagree about the jr title.  FI and I are having 3 Jrs in our wedding.  They are all at or under the age of 13 (which in my personal opinion is the cut off for the "junior" title).  But to each their own.  If any of my jrs express any sort of opinion against the jr title I would have no problem dropping it and just listing them as bridesmaid or groomsman in the program but I see nothing wrong with the title in general.  :/ 

(At the time of our wedding they will be 10, 11 and 13.) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_junior-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:06377a1c-5187-4983-916e-3d1198139261Post:166d6ffd-24ca-4f21-855e-170ef840b4a9">Re: Junior Bridesmaids</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to respectfully agree to disagree about the jr title.  FI and I are having 3 Jrs in our wedding.  They are all at or under the age of 13 (which in my personal opinion is the cut off for the "junior" title).  But to each their own.  If any of my jrs express any sort of opinion against the jr title I would have no problem dropping it and just listing them as bridesmaid or groomsman in the program but I see nothing wrong with the title in general.  :/  (At the time of our wedding they will be 10, 11 and 13.) 
    Posted by deb84[/QUOTE]
    You haven't actually said why you disagree, except because you're using it.

What does adding "junior" in front of their title possibly add, value-wise?

As a 13 year old, I would have hated being called junior.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    edited December 2011
    "Junior" BM is a title created by the wedding industry to make brides think they have to fill more roles and, consequently, spend more money.  5 or 10 years ago, they were just called BMs.  

Fact.  (You should picture that in my best Dwight Schrute voice.)
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_junior-bridesmaids?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:06377a1c-5187-4983-916e-3d1198139261Post:166d6ffd-24ca-4f21-855e-170ef840b4a9">Re: Junior Bridesmaids</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to respectfully agree to disagree about the jr title.  FI and I are having 3 Jrs in our wedding.  They are all at or under the age of 13 (which in my personal opinion is the cut off for the "junior" title).  But to each their own. <strong> If any of my jrs express any sort of opinion against the jr title I would have no problem dropping it and just listing them as bridesmaid or groomsman in the program but I see nothing wrong with the title in general.</strong>  :/  (At the time of our wedding they will be 10, 11 and 13.) 
    Posted by deb84[/QUOTE]

So you're going to list the over-13 BMs as "senior bridesmaids" in your program, right?

Why do they have to complain in order for you to treat them the same as the older girls who will be wearing the exact same dresses and walking down the exact same aisle? Why don't you just do it because it's the decent thing to do? Are you going to have a specially designated junior bridesmaid table at the reception in order to further alienate them from the rest of your wedding party?
  • edited December 2011
    My FI's daughter is 14 years old and she requested the title of Junior Bridesmaid.  I initially just asked her to be a Bridesmaid, but asked her if she wanted any special role like doing a reading or holding the rings.  She said she wasn't comfortable with speaking in public and she was worried about being in charge of something as important as the rings, but she had a friend who was a Junior Bridesmaid in a wedding and she thought that was good.  She liked being set apart from the other BMs with the special title.  I guess to each his own!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs that there's no hard rule on ages for FG/Jr/BM.  13 does feel like a decent age to do the cut off, because at that point they're starting to get into the adolescent "I'm a teenager, that means I'm an adult" stuff. 

I don't get why people get so bent out of shape about having the jr title. If you don't like it, don't use it.  I'm having 3 jrs - ages 8, 9 and 11.  They're juniors because they're kids.  They get different (age appropriate) dresses, they don't wear high heels, they get smaller bouquets/bouts because they are physically smaller.   

I was a BM at 16 and yes, I would have been a little pissed at that age to be a 'jr', but at 10?  I would have probably felt out of place to be a BM along side 25 year olds...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards