Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Writing addresses on envelopes myself?

A lot of people are against using the sticker to put the address on the envelopes. I am wondering would it be okay to write them myself as neat as I could. I figure its the outside envelope and everything else is done professionally on the inside

Re: Writing addresses on envelopes myself?

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Why wouldn't it be?

I guess I'm confused...I think the majority of brides who don't use labels hand-address the invites themselves.

You don't need to hire a caligrapher unless you want to.
  • Options
    So that's okay? Idk. I just think a lot of people were against the labels which would be easier in my opinion. So I assumed if labels were tacky then hand writing them would be tacky too
  • Options
    Are you talking about handwriting on the labels or handwritingon the envelopes?
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2013
    1. Computer printed labels are not necessarily "tacky". I'm of the opinion that if I couldn't take the time to hand-address invitations to the biggest day of my life, there's something wrong with me! Many other posters here on TK have done the labels (usually clear ones), and are OK with them. Ask your FI his opinion and make a decision as a couple.

2. Hand-addressing the invitations is never wrong

3. Hiring a caligrapher is excessive in most cases, unless that's the look you're going for and have the money to spend
  • Options
    Handwriting the guest addresses on the outer envelope is standard practice for formal correspondence. You would write directly on the envelope, not on a label.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    I am talking about writing on the envelope. I'm glad to know this isn't tacky. This is what we will be doing
  • Options
    It's seems more personal when you write out the address rather than printing them out on labels. I'm hiring my "recruits" to help with this since I do not have the best handwriting out of all of my girls.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Pam, I had this same debate with myself! I don't love my handwriting, so I had originally thought I would use the labels. After lurking on these boards awhile, though, I came to agree with posters that I would rather write the addresses out myself. We're having a fairly casual outdoor wedding, so it's really not necessary to hire a calligrapher in my case. Even though it will take some more time and I'll have to really concentrate to make sure my writing looks nice, you really can't go wrong with handwriting the addresses.

I also read a really good tip on another board the other day - put a lined index card in the empty envelope before you start writing the names/address. That way, you can simply follow the lines and ensure everything is straight and neat. Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_writing-addresses-on-envelopes-myself?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:0c9ab78d-70db-417f-9225-ca4937590773Post:b70e90dc-fb59-4c6e-9f52-567e0534995d">Re: Writing addresses on envelopes myself?</a>:
    [QUOTE]An envelope addressed in the bride's own handwriting is the only really proper way to address an invitation!
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

<div>Um...or the groom's. Remember him? He's getting married too. </div><div>
    </div><div>My H addressed most of our wedding related items. I wrote all the TY notes, I figured writing out the addresses was the least he could do. </div>
  • Options
    I'm being "super tacky" and having the paper company print the return addresses on them and then I am very seriously considering using the same font and doing labels for the addresses. I'm sorry but if someone is offended by my use of labels, then they can come to my house and watch my child, or go to work for me, or put in the 2 hours a day at the gym neccesary for me to squeeze into my dress for me, or call the caterer for the 100th time and deal with frustrated bridesmaids for me, so that I can find the 4 hours it would take me to hand address these things. My sister in law had a gorgeous traditional church wedding and she used labels with a caligraphy font, and I honestly didn't even notice until she said something to me about it 2 days ago when I ordered my stationary.
  • Options
    I am going to have my mom handwrite the addresses. She has nicer hand writing than I do
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am having the return address pre-printed on the envelopes, and am hiring a calligrapher I found on etsy to do the addresses. I figure the .85 per envelope she charges is worth several hours of my time!
    Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My handwriting is awful.. I could get someone with nicer handwriting to address my invites, but really I don't want to put that on someone. I'm printing addresses in a nice font on the envelopes (in very very light grey) and going over it with a black calligraphy pen. They look beautiful and hand written. Yes.. it takes a lot of time, but I don't have to send them out until July so I'm getting about 10 done per week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards