Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Should we see eachother before the ceremony

I am debating weather my FI and I should see each other before the ceremony or not.  This has nothing to do with superstition, I mean we have lived together for a year now before we are getting married.  There is just something so special when your future husband sees you for the first time that day walking down the isle.  Here's the problem:  Our ceremony starts at 5pm (no earlier says the church) and we will be having a cocktail hour at 6/6:30.  The plan is the take some pictures after the ceremony (which should only last about half an hour) and then i'd like the whole WP to take pictures at a different site somewhere between the church and the reception venue.  A park or small downtown area we have.  They will be announcing us at 7pm right before dinner.  Is that enough time, or should we see each other before the ceremony so we can spend more time taking pictures?

Re: Should we see eachother before the ceremony

• do them before.  you have all day long if your wedding is at 5, and you wont be rushed.  it just makes sense and your walk down teh aisle will still be special/meaningful.  think of all that extra time with your guests that you'll have AND you'll get to enjoy the cocktail hour that you paid for. 
  • It's really a personal preference. You could still do some pictures beforehand and not see each other before you walk down the aisle. Just do the ones where you two aren't in the picture together if that's what you want to do.
  • I think it would be nice having him see you for the first time as a bride walking down the aisle IMO. You can take pre-ceremony pics of yourself, dress, bridesmaids, family etc. After the ceremony, use that time to take pictures as husband and wife.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_should-see-eachother-before-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:1bc0e206-7f6c-4ffa-84a8-6c38c890b3e6Post:f86498f6-13b2-40e0-9373-c8fc319c6959">Re: Should we see eachother before the ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it would be nice having him see you for the first time as a bride walking down the aisle IMO. You can take pre-ceremony pics of yourself, dress, bridesmaids, family etc. After the ceremony, use that time to take pictures as husband and wife.
    Posted by mattycam[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I want to see my FI's face as I walk down the aisle toward him. I want that to be the first time as well. That may be my thought process. And I have the same times as you do.
  • Thanks for all the great advice.  My FI and I will have to look at both sides of it.  Although its great  to have that moment as i walk down the isle, our pictures will last forever.  Well at least Ive got some time befoe we have to decide. 
  • I want to walk down the aisle and see the man I haven't seen since the RD the night before... It's one of the few traditional things we're doing but I'm so ecstatic for that part. Our ceremony & reception are at the same venue so after the ceremony/during cocktail hour we're going to go around the area and get our photos taken - we haven't officially decided where yet though

And if you want a "photo tour", I know photographers in my area do offer day-after photo shoot so you can throw your dress back on and take more photos. We're not doing that, but it's just an idea if you'd like to look into it some more [: 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards