Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Wedding makeup help

I was really set on hiring a makeup artist to do my makeup on my wedding day and now Im not sure what to do. I wear makeup regularly and would say I am pretty good at it except maybe for doing eyes and contouring. I have had one makeup trial with a makeup artist in New Jersey that came highly recommended on The Knot and wedding wire and I was disappointed with my trial. I felt I could do a better job myself. I also just had my makeup done at Glamour shots and while I feel it was better than the makeup trial I think it looked like I was wearing too much makeup(and Im someone who wears full makeup every day).

Now Im not sure if I should keep spending money on trials with other makeup artists and hope I will be satisfied with one of them or just give up and do my own makeup. The only makeup artist that had pictures on their website that really looked nice and the before and afters looked really different was the Glam Fairy but she is really expensive. I cant decide if I should have a trial with her before making my decision or if its not worth it and since I wear makeup all the time a makeup artist isnt gonna make much of a difference.

I know that for women who dont normally wear makeup they are going to look different with a makeup artist but Im wondering if all the reviews Ive read are from those who dont normally wear makeup and Im just wasting my time and money.

If anyone has any advice or experience with this that could help I would appreciate it. If you normally wear makeup what do you think?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Wedding makeup help

• Options
    I am sure you will have a lot of girls just telling you to do your own makeup yourself.  And if you think you can do a better job and don't want to spend the money, then go for it.  However for me, I didn't want the stress of doing it myself--I wanted to KNOW I was going to look fabulous and I wanted to relax and be pampered.  Even though I wear makeup all the time, I knew I couldn't achieve the look I wanted by myself. 

Sometimes it takes more than one trial though.  I had 3 with 2 different people:  the first one bombed, the second one was good but I ended up changing my mind and the third time we got it right. 
  • Options
    I also had a bad experience with a makeup trial.  I told the artist that I wanted a natural look for my daytime wedding and ended up looking VERY made up (in fact, I looked a bit like a showgirl.)  It wasn't that she wasn't good at doing makeup, but I get the impression that many of the artist do one particular look that most women like.  The problem is that they don't really listen to those of us who want something different.  In the end, I ended up spending almost $100 to learn this lesson - that I know best what I want to look like (aka like myself, but better).  I realized that with all the money I would potentially be spending on these trials, I could go out and buy amazing products that I would be able to use after the wedding.  So I did just that.  Now I have new awesome makeup.  And I can practice as many times as I want before the big day to make sure that I get the look I really want.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_wedding-makeup?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:e3d00272-8d3e-48cc-b1de-b5dd2369b50aPost:a3289c46-143b-45d4-8482-0d03e84292c3">Re: Wedding makeup help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am sure you will have a lot of girls just telling you to do your own makeup yourself.  And if you think you can do a better job and don't want to spend the money, then go for it. <strong> However for me, I didn't want the stress of doing it myself--I wanted to KNOW I was going to look fabulous and I wanted to relax and be pampered.</strong>  Even though I wear makeup all the time, I knew I couldn't achieve the look I wanted by myself.  Sometimes it takes more than one trial though.  I had 3 with 2 different people:  the first one bombed, the second one was good but I ended up changing my mind and the third time we got it right. 
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

That is exactly why I hired a makeup artist.  I never pamper myself (I never spend money on manicures, pedicures, nothing like that) so my wedding day was the one time when I wanted to go all out and have a professional take care of me :).  I'm so glad I didn't have to worry about doing my own makeup.

eta: I'm pretty good at applying makeup on a regular basis, but I wouldn't have been able to achieve the look I was going for without a professional's help.
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am doing my own makeup as well. Like you, I wear makeup every day, experiment with colors and shadowing, and people have been telling me to do it myself since it always looks pretty. I like way I look with my own makeup and having a makeup aritst might stress me more since its products/colors I might not normally wear. I'm going to invest in a few higher-end makeup products however, and since they last for a while I think its an OK investment rather than $100 for a onetime application!! I say if you like the way you look and are confident using makeup...go for it! I'll use my engagement photos as a trial run, if I look atrocious in my makeup in them then I know I should trust a professional!
  • Options
    Tara,

I recommend that you do your make-up since you're not happy with the work of the first two artists and know how to do make-up.  However, be sure to take pictures and have your friends critque your work. Analyze if you do make-up well enough for pictures. Also, try not to contour anything but eyes unless you're very good at blending.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards