Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Pizza for RD

We are having pizza for our RD, along with a couple salads and a fruit/veggie tray. I love almost everything on pizza, so I want to make sure I have enough options. We have 34 adults and 4 kids under 10. We are going to have 10 16” pizzas.

• 2 cheese
  • 2 pepperoni
  • 2 back alley deluxe (sausage, fresh mushrooms, red onion and green peppers)
  • 1 traditional veggie (tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, spinach, red onion, green and black olives, red and green peppers)
  • 1 chicken pesto (pesto sauce, chicken, sundried tomatoes, mozzarella and provolone)
  • 1 BBQ chicken- smoky sweet bbq, sliced chicken, red onion, pineapple, mozzarella, provolone and cheddar
  • 1 chicken ranch (ranch dressing and garlic topped with chicken, bacon, tomatoes, onion, mozzarella and cheddar cheese)

Does this seem like a good mix for pizza? Any you would add? Each of the specialty pizzas are one of our favorites or our parents favorites.

Here is the menu from the pizza place. http://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/menu_link.php?mxresto_id=1005317&url=http://www.menupix.com/menupdf/backalleymenuas2.pdf

Also, what kind of salad would you provide? I’m thinking an antipasto salad but I’m not sure what else.  We aren’t purchasing these from the pizza place, so we can make pretty much whatever we want.

Thanks in advance. I keep asking my parents and FI and they keep telling me “Whatever.” Aggravating.

Re: Pizza for RD

• I think it is a good mix.  I would consider removing one of the chicken and adding another veggie or cheese for those that are plain janes or prefer no meat.

As for salad I would provide a nice chef salad and/or ceasar in addition to your anipasta salad.

I would also include some rolls/breadsticks if possible.

• The pizza selection sound great. I think a regular garden salad would be nice, with a few choices of dressing. Most people would be pleased with that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agree with PPs that getting a second veg pizza is a good idea, and I like Maggie's idea of adding some bread or breadsticks. 

Do you know how many slices you get from each pizza?  I think you may want to add one or two depending on that answer.  If you have 38 guests, and 10 pies each cut into the average 8 slices, you have 80 slices of pizza.  If each guests takes two slices (which they might do when there is variety), you have a slim margin for overage/extra pizza.  I would maybe just add an extra pizza or two - just to be safe.
    Anniversary

• I agree that you should trade one of the chicken pizzas for either another cheese, vegetable or even sausage or pepperoni.

And, I know you said the specialty pizzas were favorites of different VIPs, so if you decide to keep all three then you should probably add 2 more traditional ones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the heads-up on the pesto. I do have a bridesmaid with a nut allergy so I checked with them when I called to inquire about prices and my bridesmaid is not allergic to the pine nuts in the pesto, so we are good to go. I know everyone else coming to the RD very well and no one else (including dates) has a nut allergy.

I think I may add an extra pizza or two, definitely some more vegetarian options, even though we don't have any vegetarians coming. I know sometimes I don't feel like having meat all the time. They have another vegetarian pizza with spinach, fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic and red onion. We can add one of those.

I will ask about bread sticks, thanks everybody!
  • I would also get rid of one of the chicken and replace it with the Mediterranean ,  yum.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Oh, good idea! FI loves everything feta :)
  • Yum, can I come? :-) I'd substitute the chicken ranch with a Hawaiian (Canadian bacon and pineapple), but that's just me. The suggestions to add another plain option like cheese are a good idea too. I know a lot of picky pizza eaters.
    Anniversary
  • Is it like the default "thing" now to make note of anything that may or may not have nuts? 

Honestly, I am just asking.  It seems like this has popped up in recent years out of nowhere. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_pizza-for-rd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:0d420afc-b987-450b-921d-d0da3437276aPost:01d38a31-4c1a-431a-a7b8-a90930ac802d">Re: Pizza for RD</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it like the default "thing" now to make note of anything that may or may not have nuts?  Honestly, I am just asking.  It seems like this has popped up in recent years out of nowhere. 
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>One of the poster's FI/DH has a nut allergy.  So I think they are a little more sensitive on the subject (and should be).   </div><div>
    </div><div>IME people with severe nut allergies are well aware that something like pesto has pine nuts.  Or at least ask before chowing down on un-known foods.  </div><div>
    </div><div>This is also an RD.  In theory these type of events are small with only close family and friends.  I would assume that the OP would know if one of our guests had such an allergy. </div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2012
    I would cut the choices down.  Cheese, Pepperoni, Veggie, Back Alley and one type of Chicken.  I also agree with a PP, you might want to order a couple more pies.  8 slices in each and you're at 2 slices per person.  Throw in a bunch of men and you might run out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards