New York

NWR: Need some Lake George advice

So this is totally non wedding related, but I figure some of you ladies might be able to help. My best friend is getting married on July 2nd in Schenectady and since it's a long weekend my fiance and I thought it'd be nice to spend the rest of the weekend in Lake George. We're long distance at the moment, I'm on Long Island and he's in Virginia, so we want to take advantage of the holiday weekend and spend some quality time together.

I've never really been to LG before so I have no idea what to do or where to stay. What can we do on our little mini-vaca? Can you recommend an inexpensive but reliable hotel to stay at for 2 nights? Are there any spas or relaxing things to do? Do you have any recommendations on places to do water sports or rentals through?

I'm totally in the dark and want to book a hotel before it's too late and we wind up with no plans.

Thanks!

Re: NWR: Need some Lake George advice

• degreadegrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't live in the area but going to LG over July 4th sounds like not such a relaxing or cheap vacation to me. It will be mobbed with people. Plus I think that might be close to bike week. Just something to consider. NY is a beautiful state and though LG is very pretty you might have a better time somewhere else in the ADK park. Just my thoughts! Have fun whatever you decide to do.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • senoritarita3senoritarita3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also be a little weary of going that time of year because it is very close to bike week (they call it americade) and lots of hotels have a 5 night limit stay, and the prices tend to go up just a little bit.  But there are a few hotels that are a little less expensive that might work for you.  Remember that less expensive also means that the rooms might not be what you are looking for. Here are a few, Surfside on the Lake, the Georgian, there is an econo lodge, and I believe a Super 8. If you are willing to put just a little bit more money into it for a little nicer of a room there is the holiday inn and the wingate.  I know there are a lot more but those are just some that I remember off the top of my head.  There is also a small town not far from the village of lake george but it's still on Lake George itself called Bolton Landing. That might be worth looking into as well. Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards