Florida-North Florida

Beware of Fontana's Restaurant/Catering in Jacksonville,FL

My daughter got engaged last year to a lovely man I was proud to call son. He was just as involved and excited about the upcoming wedding as my daughter and I were.  We had a perfect wedding planned for the two of them on the beach with a small, cozy reception following. We aere so excited about that day to come.
Tragically, just days before the wedding the groom  went unresponsive, lapsed into a coma and died from Meningitis within 24 hours.
Every vendor we had hired immediatley upon hearing the news offered their condolences as well as a full refund. These vendors are S&B Wedding Images, D.J. Nate McKendrick, the Jacksonville Sheriff's office, Officiant Michael Scialiatine as well as The Dolphin Plaza at Hanna Park. I highly recommend all of them.
Fontana's Restaurant never offered a refund or sympathy about what we were going through. When I contacted them initally about a refund I was told "we'll get back to you." After 2 days of leaving messages I finally was able to speak with Carlos the mgr. who very rudely told me we wern't entitled to a full refund because it wasn't their fault the wedding hadn't taken place and there hadn't been enough time to book another wedding on that date. Who ever expects sometime like this would happen. There was never a final signed contract.
This poor bride not only lost the love of her life but the wedding every little girl dreams of.
All refunds collected are going to this bride who is trying to rebuild her life after this tragedy. I just wish the people at Fontana's had some heart like everyone else.

Re: Beware of Fontana's Restaurant/Catering in Jacksonville,FL

• jordanmae101jordanmae101 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My daughter got engaged last year to a lovely man I was proud to call son. He was just as involved and excited about the upcoming wedding as my daughter and I were.  We had a perfect wedding planned for the two of them on the beach with a small, cozy reception following. We aere so excited about that day to come.
    Tragically, just days before the wedding the groom  went unresponsive, lapsed into a coma and died from Meningitis within 24 hours.
    Every vendor we had hired immediatley upon hearing the news offered their condolences as well as a full refund. These vendors are S&B Wedding Images, D.J. Nate McKendrick, the Jacksonville Sheriff's office, Officiant Michael Scialiatine as well as The Dolphin Plaza at Hanna Park. I highly recommend all of them.
    Fontana's Restaurant never offered a refund or sympathy about what we were going through. When I contacted them initally about a refund I was told "we'll get back to you." After 2 days of leaving messages I finally was able to speak with Carlos the mgr. who very rudely told me we wern't entitled to a full refund because it wasn't their fault the wedding hadn't taken place and there hadn't been enough time to book another wedding on that date. Who ever expects sometime like this would happen. There was never a final signed contract.
    This poor bride not only lost the love of her life but the wedding every little girl dreams of.
    All refunds collected are going to this bride who is trying to rebuild her life after this tragedy. I just wish the people at Fontana's had some heart like everyone else.
  • pag41989pag41989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I am so so sorry to hear about that. You would have to have no heart at all in order to do something like that. Shame on them! I would report them to the better business bureau.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry that happened.  That is very sad and heartbreaking.

But really, you can't be too terribly angry at the place for not offering a full refund.  The caterer probably already ordered the food for the wedding, so if they would have given you a refund, they would had to eat that cost, which isn't really fair to them.
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-north-florida_beware-of-fontanas-restaurantcatering-jacksonvillefl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:70Discussion:4e6ffd45-071f-42d2-ae0a-30061a9ada81Post:51848e79-1f07-4ad8-95e6-d4788bc99426">Re: Beware of Fontana's Restaurant/Catering in Jacksonville,FL</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, I am so so sorry to hear about that. You would have to have no heart at all in order to do something like that. Shame on them! <strong>I would report them to the better business bureau.</strong>
    Posted by pag41989[/QUOTE]

What are you going to report them for?  I don't think they did anything legally wrong.  There wasn't a contract, so there wasn't a laid out refund policy.  This is why you should always have a contract with a clause about unforeseeable events.
  • edited December 2011

I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your daughter as well as yourself. I just think issuing a refund would be the morally right thing to do. As a restaurant- they more than likely have the same amount of food on hand anyway. Once again, I'm sorry.

• edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear this sad sad story.  I'm surprised Fotana's is still open.  I ate their food several times when they first opened in 05-06 and got sick every time.  My prayers are with the bride and family.  I can hope she can start the healing process soon.  

Jackie 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Photobucket
    My Start to a Planning Bio
    213 Invited 145 yes and 68 no RSVP Date April 15
  • erininjaxerininjax member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would totally disagree with you. I am sorry to hear of your loss but as a bride myself I understand that 2-4 days before the wedding all fees are paid and non-refundable. I watched on TV as you spoke negativly on the caterer only a week and a half after the death of your son-in-law and in the end you hadn't even paid the full amount for your wedding and still owned them another $4000.00. I think you would have felt better about your situation if you had paid the full amount (like we all have to do) and were able to get back a larger amount minus expenses.

I have the strongest commitment in Fontana's and Paula ability to run an ethical and legal business as well as a wonderful caterer. Their food is great and the cost associated with it VERY reasonable. I understand that if something happens between now and my wedding, I will not be able to return my dress, my cake deposited will not be refunded, my invitation cannot be returned, my flowers will still be ordered and on their way and you shouldn't expect anything different from your caterer. I don't hold it against you that you asked, I hold it against you that you feel ENTITLED to a refund due to an unfortunate event. I also as a business owner think it is damaging the negative light you have shown on a family run, tax paying business. You should be ashamed that you would even air your dirty laundry in such a manner. I would be in full support of a business suing a individual or in your case individuals for damaging this business. I doubt seriously that Fontana's will do that because they wouldn't think to damage your reputation even after you have attempted to ruin theirs.

For the record, I have Paula hired as my Wedding Coordinator and Fontan's as my caterer and have not changed my mind in doing business with them based on your allegations.

I wish you all the best but cannot believe the hurt you are trying to inflict on another business as they were just doing their job. Its ridiculous!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards