Snarky Brides
Options

I am so incredibly sad today :(

I made a post last week about how I was excited that I got my bone marrow donation ID card in the mail - and explained that I registered in honor of my 5 year old cousin with CGD (an immune disorder).

I also talked a little about another little boy that my cousin met in the hospital through a CGD network who needed a bone marrow transplant.  He recently got a second BMT because his first one didn't work, and his second one finally engrafted over a month after his surgery - and he is HEALED of CGD!  It's such a miracle.  But he never fully recovered from the surgery and is now in respiratory failure.  I read the family's latest care page update and they are basically keeping him comfortable and waiting for him to pass :(

I've never even met this little boy and my heart is breaking for him and his family.  They've been through so much.  And it's just not fair :(
panther

Re: I am so incredibly sad today :(

• Options

I'm so so sorry to hear this.  Children shouldn't get cancer, there should be a law.  It's truly awful. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's very sad. No parent should ever have to outlive their child.  *hug*
    AMA over 40
    Massive uterine fibroids removed 3/06
    BFP 1/11; MM/C discovered @ 10w, loss at 6w; Cytotec
    B/W 7/11 = normal CD3, FSH 8.9; 7DPO progesterone 1.7
    Three Clomid cycles, all BFN, Off to an RE for me...
    FSH=8.7 E2=30 AMH=1.8 HSG clear, SA=great
    Inj. IUI #1 12/9/11 BFN, Inj. IUI #2 1/6/12 BFN
    Inj. IUI #3 1/30/12 BFP!, HCG doubled through 6w, 7w u/s mm/c twins
    Lost our known donor to unplanned pregnancy
    Factor V Leiden, Hetero, symptomatic
    Op Hysteroscopy 5/12, removed scar tissue and uterine septum
    Doing Cryo-DE IVF and older child adoption (Home visit- Check!)
    Beautiful hatching 5-blast transfered 8/30
    BFP 9/7/12 EDD May 19, 2013, beta #1=291 beta #2=762 beta #3=7306
    Sneek peak u/s shows HB at 6w1d!!! 123bpm!
    Still have a HB at 18w0d!!! 142bpm! Grow, baby, grow!
    Great NT scan, but, placenta previa. Resolving!
    Labile Hypertension, placed on HBP meds to try to avoid pre-e
    A/S on 12/21/12, Petra's having a baby, it's the end of the world!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PGAL Siggy Challenge- Animal Hangovers!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Petra, you are an obese 40+ year old. Stop jumping through these hoops. Just adopt already. There is no shame in that." -Deethebee
  • Options
    Really, really sorry to hear this, AATB. I mentioned in your original post I volunteered with young cancer patients. It's so terribly tragic. But those children always amazed me. They can be so mature and so strong about their situations. Sometimes you can only hope that they find peace and the children don't suffer. So sad. Hugs to you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Fever I don't know how you do it but I think that's so incredible of you.  Seriously awesome. 

I've been praying for this little boy and his family for so long and everyone has always been so optimistic - it's incredibly hard to see them basically lose hope.  I hope the little boy can go peacefully, too.

It makes me so scared for my cousin, too.  He's only had a couple serious infections from this and many patients with CGD live relatively normal lives on their plethora of meds - but all it takes is for one serious illness to really wreak havoc on their bodies and they can get into a lot of trouble.  It just stresses me out.
    panther
  • Options
    So sorry.  I could never work with sick children, and I seriously applaud those of you who do.

If it's any help, your post the other day made me sign up for the marrow registry!
  • Options
    This is so sad.  I'm sorry.

Check out this website: Be a Hero, Become a Donor  http://www.bahbad.org

The Mom in the story (and founder of the organization) is a high school classmate of mine.  Her 9-year old son also died from complications after a metabolic disorder and successful bone marrow transplant.  The story continues, though - his sister became a living kidney donor to a child they met at the Ronald McDonald house while he was undergoing treatment.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    That is so cool steph :) I was so excited and pleased to see a bunch of girls on here sign up.  I continue to appreciate that - it's such a big decision and something that is so selfless and awesome of a person to do.
    panther
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that link LesPaul!
    panther
  • Options

Steph's right. You made a serious snowball effect. I'm mailing back my kit and FI's today. I also mentioned it on FB and a couple other people joined! Sometimes you just have to focus on improving the situation. You can make a serious difference. Focus on what you can do to help. It should really change your perceptive on things. It's ok to be sad now though because it does truly suck.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine what a parent must go through when experiencing something like that. I'm not usually a very empathetic person, but hearing stories about children in pain or sick kids really gets to me.
  • Options
    Im really sorry.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I'm really sorry to hear, but thinking positively, he'll be in a better place, where there is bubbles in the air, smiles, and no pain :)

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm really sorry to hear that! I actually work at Dana Farber Cancer Institute as a Donor Coordinator for the Be the Match registry also know as the National Marrow Donor Registry and that is so wonderful of you to sign up to be part of the registry! You are doing a great thing that unfortunately many people don't know about or realize that most of the time that donating is similar to donating platelets. I've worked for three years here and met many families through bone marrow drives and patients and their matching siblings. It is truly amazing when someone who is not related gives such a wonderful gift! 

Sometimes the patients do not make it but you have given them hope (the stats are usually less than 15% chance of survival without transplant, 25-50% with). As someone who has also gone through cancer treatments when I was 23 (I actually only have one match on the registry). It's pretty scary knowing if I ever needed a donor transplant I would have only one person out there that would possibly be there besides possibly my sister, who I am not sure if she is even a match! 

It's a really scary thing to see especially when there is no match from the sibs, or on the donor registry, we then look at cord blood, and sometimes there is no match there. I can't tell you how many times I've seen patients die because there was no one that matched! Awesome that you are getting the word out!!
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I just found out that Kobe (that was his name) passed away this morning.

Ugh - I am just crushed :(
    panther
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards