Getting in Shape

wedding dress size freak out

So in January I ordered the dress that fit me then.  It was ordered 1 size larger than my torso/tummy for my chest so I knew it would have to be taken in a bit.  I get the call that it came in and now I'm starting to freak out.  I've lost 20lbs and 1 jean size, but the wedding isn't until December.  If I reach my goal that will be 10 more lost.  Do you guys think this dress can be altered?

http://www.oncewed.com/25725/used-wedding-dresses/size-6/mercedes/

(it's full beaded lace)

Re: wedding dress size freak out

• Im no expert in alterations but they can work magic. I'm sure it'll be fine. When I ordered my dress i needed an 8 for the bust and a 4 in the waist and hips. So they ordered the 8. Ive lost 10 pounds since then and they said it would probably be ok.
    goodluck and congrats on losing the weight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A good seamstress would be able to take it in at least two dress sizes. Just start shopping for that person now.
  • Wow! Beautiful dress!

Don't worry. I think you will find a seamstress that can take it in. Good luck!
  • I'm no seamstress, so I can't tell you.

But - I *love* your dress!
  • I am sure you can have that altered.  The place I bought my dress from was having a sample sale at the time and told me that they could take their size 10 dresses down to a size 2 for me.  If your store says they can't do it, bring the dress to a different store as I am sure you will find someone who can alter it.  PS it is beautiful!
  • I bought my dress last summer and lost about 15-20lbs before I took it in to be altered. My dress is also full beaded lace. Taking it in was no problem, like one of the pp said a good seamstress can take a dress in about 2 sizes. Mine needed to be taken in about a 1/2 inch to an inch on each side. I have also lost about another 5-10lbs and another 1/2 inch off my waist and am going to have my dress taken in again.

Long story short it can be done...but it will cost you. I am in California and my alterations cost about $350. I'm not sure what you budgeted for your alterations, but you might want to put a little more aside if you think it might need to be taken in a little more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards