Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Bar Control Help

Hello ladies,

So I pose this question.

We are DIY our catering and bar. Granted, we're just serving beer and wine, but our venue manager has already expressed concerns over how we're going to control those drinking.

I mean, for the most part, I have faith in the adults of the group to not drink and drive, and FI and my friends aren't real big drinkers but I know we're going to have a few wild child attendees (and by child, I do mean under 21) who will try to drink and drink to excess. I have a few ideas on how to monitor outflow, but I was just curious if you ladies had any suggestions.

Re: Bar Control Help

• Your venue (and you!) could potentially get in legal trouble if underage people have access to alcohol.

I think your best bet would be to hire a licensed bartender (most venues will have suggestions if they do not specifically provide one).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_bar-control-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:38c67946-bde0-4245-b646-2e6768cc6ad7Post:a7a34137-97c0-464f-acf5-bdf71813c3e4">Re: Bar Control Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your venue (and you!) could potentially get in legal trouble if underage people have access to alcohol. I think your best bet would be to hire a licensed bartender (most venues will have suggestions if they do not specifically provide one).
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

All of this.  Hire a bartender and spare yourself (and your venue) some stress.

• Get a bartender and liability insurance.

I would never have faith in guests controlling themselves at a help-yourself-bar.  Individually I would, but in a group people do strange things.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Ditto everything said by the prior posters. If you already know, going in, that you will have "wild child" drinkers under 21, you are leaving yourselves wide open to heartbreak and lawsuits. Get a licensed bartender (if your venue doesn't provide one). Drinks need to be served, and not "DIY".
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_bar-control-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:38c67946-bde0-4245-b646-2e6768cc6ad7Post:229d4bbd-907a-4db1-864a-7c3c6e25322b">Re: Bar Control Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hiring a licensed bartender, would be best bet you can do to prevent <strong>underage people from getting over drunk.
    </strong>Posted by boobyswope[/QUOTE]

Or drinking at all seeing that they are underage.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_bar-control-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:38c67946-bde0-4245-b646-2e6768cc6ad7Post:f802d118-6a11-477f-8aaa-5d0eac600ff8">Re: Bar Control Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bar Control Help : Or drinking at all seeing that they are underage.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

Agreed. If your under-age guests drink and then cause trouble, you and your husband will feel the fall-out. No one wants to begin married life with a court date looming.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_bar-control-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:38c67946-bde0-4245-b646-2e6768cc6ad7Post:a7a34137-97c0-464f-acf5-bdf71813c3e4">Re: Bar Control Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your venue (and you!) could potentially get in legal trouble if underage people have access to alcohol. I think your best bet would be to hire a licensed bartender (most venues will have suggestions if they do not specifically provide one).
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

All of this.  Not only could they be held liable, you and your FI could be held liable also if one of your guests has been drinking and gets into an accident.  Hire a licensed bartender.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Ditto to all PP. Hire a bartender. It may even be illegal in your state to have a function over a certain amount of people without one. It is in TX.
  • I would also agree, I hire out alot of licensed bartenders just to help with serving and control of the alcohol.

Nancy Plassman
    Director of Catering, Carfagna
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards