Wedding Invitations & Paper

Some Invite Questions

Hello all. We're hoping to get invites out middle or end of May. I have a few questions:

- What should you put as the reply by date? My wedding is August 28th & we have to have everything finalized with our caterers by August 25.

- Should you put the return address & the person's address on the reply envelope?
 (should you also include a stamp or is it okay to let them do all this?)

- I'm hoping to make an envelope insert & glue them into the envelopes if i have the time...but is it boring to you use plain white envelopes?

- Anyone know where you can "generate" like generic directions? The website for my location doesn't have any, just the address. So I'm not sure how to print out direction cards.

Thanks in advance! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Some Invite Questions

• 1.  Your invites should go out 6-8 weeks before your wedding, so they should go out at the end of June, not May.  Your RSVP date should be 1-2 weeks before your caterer needs your final headcount.

2.  You should included a stamped, addressed envelope for the RSVP.  You do not need to put the return address.

3.  Do you mean envelope liners?  They are a nice touch, but not necessary.  

4.  For my directions, I just took it from the major highways/roads.  For example, I did my directions in the following way: "From the GSP North," "From the GSP South," and "From the I-195."  I just looked up those directions using Google Maps.
    Anniversary
  • DItto everything Shortee just said!
  • Ditto shortee.

For the return address on response cards, there's no need to put on because they're coming to you/parents which you know is a valid address.

I made my own liners using scrapbook paper and double sided tape.  Very easy, not that time consuming, cheap (about $0.06 per liner).  I have instructions in my bio.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-questions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6f0a1b8f-7bf6-4230-9fdb-e7e362c833d1Post:0081eaf9-c46d-433c-abd0-995b9f382259">Re: Some Invite Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]1.  Your invites should go out 6-8 weeks before your wedding, so they should go out at the end of June, not May.  Your RSVP date should be 1-2 weeks before your caterer needs your final headcount. 2.  You should included a stamped, addressed envelope for the RSVP.  You do not need to put the return address. 3.  Do you mean envelope liners?  They are a nice touch, but not necessary.   4.  For my directions, I just took it from the major highways/roads.  For example, I did my directions in the following way: "From the GSP North," "From the GSP South," and "From the I-195."  I just looked up those directions using Google Maps.
    Posted by shortee426[/QUOTE]

1. Probably should of mentioned: We didn't do STDs, so we're sending our invites out early because of that.

2. So we're suppose to send them a stamp & put their address on the RVSP envelopes, but not our address? They have to write that out to send it back to us? Sounds a bit off, but maybe thats just me.

3. Didn't really anwser my question about if receiving an invitation in a white envelope is too plain/boring.

4. Gosh! Everyone uses mapquest, didn't even think about doing it like that. Thanks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-questions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6f0a1b8f-7bf6-4230-9fdb-e7e362c833d1Post:e39549fd-e8c7-4d32-b84a-2def14661bc2">Re: Some Invite Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Invite Questions : <div> 1. Probably should of mentioned: We didn't do STDs, so we're sending our invites out early because of that. </div><div>2. So we're suppose to send them a stamp & put their address on the RVSP envelopes, but not our address? They have to write that out to send it back to us? Sounds a bit off, but maybe thats just me. </div><div>3. Didn't really anwser my question about if receiving an invitation in a white envelope is too plain/boring. </div><div>4. Gosh! Everyone uses mapquest, didn't even think about doing it like that. Thanks.
    Posted by EeyoreFan88[/QUOTE]

<div>1. Doesn't matter if you sent out STDs or not.  STDs are a pretty recent thing, and invites went out 6-8 weeks before the wedding long before STDs were around.</div></div><div>
    </div><div>2. That's not what I said.  I said you give them an addressed, stamped envelope.  It is not necessary to put a return address.  YOUR address is already on there.  THEIR address is the return address.</div><div>
    </div><div>3. Isn't that a matter of opinion?</div><div>
    </div><div>4. I too often find myself trying so hard to think of a solution, that miss the most obvious answer :-p</div>
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_invite-questions-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6f0a1b8f-7bf6-4230-9fdb-e7e362c833d1Post:7f08ecea-1669-4564-abe9-6c2fea231dd4">Re: Some Invite Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Some Invite Questions : 1. Doesn't matter if you sent out STDs or not.  STDs are a pretty recent thing, and invites went out 6-8 weeks before the wedding long before STDs were around. 2. That's not what I said.  I said you give them an addressed, stamped envelope.  It is not necessary to put a return address.  YOUR address is already on there.  THEIR address is the return address. 3. Isn't that a matter of opinion? 4. I too often find myself trying so hard to think of a solution, that miss the most obvious answer :-p
    Posted by shortee426[/QUOTE]

1. Well than maybe we'll push the invites back, although I keep getting people asking me why they haven't gotten anything yet, wondering if we decided to just elope haha.

2. I obviously need to stop working so much. Getting my addresses all mixed up. Sorry bout that!

3. Guess so.

4. Hate when that happens. thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I just sent my invites out his past Tuesday.  It was a little before 8 weeks, but it was my birthday and I figured it would be the best present ever so I did it.  Anyway, I still have people for the past 2 weeks asking me if I had sent out  my invites yet (luckily they were all on the guest list so it wasn't awkward).  Point is...people are excited to see them!  And just because they ask if you have sent them doesn't mean you should send them early.  Stick with what you know is right. :-)

I see you are from South Jersey...where are you getting married?  I'm getting married in Asbury Park.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards