Catholic Weddings

Eucharistic Minister Question

Can a bride or groom serve as a Eucharistic Minister at their own wedding?

I wouldn't think so because they are ministers to the sacaramet and generally you can only serve in one ministry in a Mass.  But I heard of someone doing this and was curious what you ladies thought (or know) about this.

Re: Eucharistic Minister Question

• I don't understand why you can only serve one ministry at a Mass? A priest can baptize, confirm, consecrate the Eucharist, etc, all in the same Mass.

I have seen a bride and groom do this, (I don't know if it's allowed,) however, technically they are called "Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion" because the priest/deacon is the only ordinary minister of such.

Based on the time I saw it, I would strongly discourage it, as what it turned into was "everyone greet the bride and groom" since they were receiving communion from them and therefore it was their first time seeing everyone as a married couple - VERY distracting and innappropriate when the focus here should be on the Eucharist.
    Anniversary
  • I basically had the exact same thoughts and experience as lala.

I think it is something that seems "nice and innocent" on the surface, but with something as important as the Eucharist, I think it's best for the priest to do it.
  • Thanks for the feedback!  Yes, I know that is the official name for them.  the church I grew up in never used that term, so it is still an adjustment for me to use the right term.

Both my fiance and I are Extraordinary ministers and for a brief moment, I thought, wow, that's cool, but then thought it probably wasn't the best idea. 

At my brother's wedding, the priest talked about how the first "meal" together for the bride and groom and their family isn't the reception banquet, it was the Eucharist at Mass, and I love that analogy. 

Maybe the "one minister" thing was just a rule at my church and isn't an actual church rule, then.  Although I'm sure rules for priests are totally different than for lay ministers.
  • The "one minister" rule is common throughout.  The idea is that you should be focused on the one ministry you will be serving (reading, EMHC, etc), and others on theirs. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards