Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Trash The Dress...

I see a ton of people talking about trashing their wedding dress for photos... I have never seen this done before and I would love to know more about it.

Someone care to fill me in?
Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Trash The Dress...

• Sometimes it's called Rock the Dress too. You don't have to trash it, but if you want you can. Some couples dress up in their wedding attire and splatter paint, set it on fire, or other irreversible things. You could also just go play on the beach or one bride did household chores in hers which doesn't do damage to your dress. It's just one last photoshoot with your dress. I love them and think they turn out really cute. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm almost positive that the fire one above is photoshopped though, but still looks neat.

• Miss EsaMiss Esa member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    The paint splattered one looks so cool!
    It would be awesome to do something like that.
    Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think they're cute. I wanted (and still might) to do one with my dogs. Maybe go to a creek and play in the water with my puppies, or have an ice cream picnic with them, or something to that nature. My dogs are my life and I hated that I didn't get professional pics done with them in my dress so I will probably go back and do a photoshoot with them at some point. 
  • megsch88megsch88 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I am doing something like it. I am not going to delibrately trash my dress, like get it torn or ripped (or set it on fire lol) but I am going to get pictures without caring what happens to it if that makes sense.

My FI and I love archery so we will be going out onto the dirty archery range and doing some shots of that. I will be jumping into the river with it on as well. I also plan on playing with the dogs at FMIL's and they have some dirty paws sometimes.

I am looking forward to it. I don't know why I would preserve my dress. I don't know what I would ever do with it besides let it sit in a box the rest of my life, so why not have a little fun?
  • I wasn't planning on doing anything with my dress after the wedding. But after seeing my photographer's Trash the Dress sessions both my sister and I want to do a session together! We'll wear our own dresses and not do anything too crazy. Then I'm thinking about getting a cheap wedding dress off EBay and trashing that one into oblivion.
  • I'm not sure if I could do this.  Unless I get a really cheap dress. 
  • aro1589aro1589 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    the pics are cool, but I'd never destroy my dress.  I LOVE the idea of doing chores in it though!  Super cute!  might have to do that in a few years when I have a house instead of a tiny apartment :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Since we are having a "Redneck/Western" style wedding. I plan to dive into a pit of MUD to "trash" my dress.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_trash-the-dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:509650f5-bd2a-415a-8071-6b6c1e854658Post:d424f0e7-0248-49a5-b52c-352ef2cd2864">Re: Trash The Dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since we are having a "Redneck/Western" style wedding. I plan to dive into a pit of MUD to "trash" my dress.
    Posted by serenity5689[/QUOTE]
    That sounds awesome. <div>
    </div><div>I think I'm going to go with the paint splatter idea.</div>
  • My husband loves the idea of throwing me into a pit of mud so I came up with that for the trashing dress idea. Even though it's a RENEWAL, we can still have the same fun.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_trash-the-dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:509650f5-bd2a-415a-8071-6b6c1e854658Post:667b1756-1476-460c-a73c-8acb517c80bb">Re: Trash The Dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband loves the idea of throwing me into a pit of mud so I came up with that for the trashing dress idea. Even though it's a RENEWAL, we can still have the same fun.

Haven't seen that done before.....that will make for some fun photos!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_trash-the-dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:509650f5-bd2a-415a-8071-6b6c1e854658Post:f82453de-ade2-4194-9ff9-78ee0652b2ca">Re: Trash The Dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trash The Dress... : Haven't seen that done before.....that will make for some fun photos!
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]

<div>REDNECK WEDDING! YAY!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_trash-the-dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:509650f5-bd2a-415a-8071-6b6c1e854658Post:3b2343ac-72a3-411a-b9a1-fedec52641e5">Re: Trash The Dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trash The Dress... : REDNECK WEDDING! YAY!

Ahhh, that explains why I haven't seen it before!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_trash-the-dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:509650f5-bd2a-415a-8071-6b6c1e854658Post:3b2343ac-72a3-411a-b9a1-fedec52641e5">Re: Trash The Dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trash The Dress... : REDNECK WEDDING! YAY!
    Posted by serenity5689[/QUOTE]This made me laugh Out Loud Yall! This is good that some people can let their hair down and do whatever they want! Geez! It's not eveyone else who has their dresses cleaned and put in one of those keepsake boxes/bags will EVER take it out of the back of the closet...and come on...you're daughter won't wear it one day :) Good Job yall!
  • We are doing it.  I am not trashing my actual wedding dress but picking up a cheap dress at a second hand/thrift store.  We are having a day of the dead wedding so the morning after we get married we are having a photoshoot where we will be painted up in traditional Dia de los Muertos face paint, my dress and his suit will be distressed and tattered.  I am pretty freaking stoked about it.  Our photographer is a very close friend who is so incredibly talented and this idea has me so very excited!
    Make jokes. No stress. Love. Live. Life. Proceed. Progress.
  • edited June 2012
    I don't understand this at all. I don't know about where you all are from but NY wedding dresses are at least a couple thousand dollars. I just can't see myself spending so much money on something and then completely trashing it. What's the point? Why not just preserve it or something?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_trash-the-dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:509650f5-bd2a-415a-8071-6b6c1e854658Post:1551fc14-f133-450b-bbf5-47ba0554fec0">Re: Trash The Dress...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trash The Dress... : Ahhh, that explains why I haven't seen it before!
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]

oh lol me too- must be a midwest thing. You're in NY so you get my drift- cheapest wedding dress I found was $3k- def. NOT trashing that, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards