Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

choosing a photograher

help! i dont have the first clue about picking a photographer,  this is the most important category for me and i'm at a loss.  anyone have suggestions of houston photographers?  the one i originally wanted starts at 4500 which is double my budget :(

Re: choosing a photograher

• edited December 2011

how many have you interviewed?....... also it doesnt hurt to tell the photographer you want the budget you have to work with and see if they can make it happen

• edited December 2011
    http://weddingphotographyuniversity.com has a few articles that talk about choosing a photographer.... you should be able to find a photographer around 2500 that does bring an assistant...do you live in an expensive area?
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Janna--I wrote this a while back but I think it will be helpful to you as you start to look at photographers: 

• edited December 2011
    Check out Tricoast: http://www.tricoastphoto.com/

Good guys, great studio.
  • edited December 2011

There's one I know in our area that starts at $3900 and goes up to $9800 so a price like $4500 that isn't unheard of (although yes, some will balk at the price).  If you love him but can't afford him, try calling him and asking for recommendations in the area for photographers that might have a similar style but are closer to your budget.  He may be able to work with your budget but you likey won't get a DVD of high res images for that, which I think is one of the most important parts of a package.

In the meantime search for some in your area and look on their websites at their style and write down a few you like and interview them.  Make sure you ask to see a full wedding that they've done.  I have a few friends who paid $2500-3000 and I hated their pictures, so price doesn't always mean you'll get something you love. 

• AnnaScarlettAnnaScarlett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://allisonmayer.com

She was our photographer and is Amazing.  She travels all over the country and I'm sure she could work something out well with in your budget.

Our package was $1000 and included an Album and engagement session.
  • edited December 2011
    I would check out Three Daughters and a Wedding! They are GREAT!! =) They travel all around the contry. Each wedding they do is different and they work right with the Bride to fit her budget and to give what she wants.

http://www.threedaughtersandawedding.com/
  • edited December 2011
    I would check out our photographer www.bluesixcreative.com from Toronto Canada.  With airfaires as low as they are... any photographer would travel to your wedding.  Their pricing is very good so with the dollar at par... you might be getting a steal. 

Check them out and look through their stuff.

PM me with any questions.

Mary
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I have interviewed a few different photographers so far and I think I know pretty much what I am looking for at this point.  The problem I am running into is just the price, most have wedding packages that start at $3000+ and that is really not in our budget.  It sucks....the other day I thought I found a winner, she used to work as an assistant to the photographer I really wanted before she started her own business but even she was outrageous in price.  I wouldn't say that I necessarily live in an expensive area, its just crazy that I am having such bad luck.  I wanted to find someone more local, someone more artistic, someone who is familiar with the church and/or reception site and most importantly, someone who will take the time to get to know me and my fiance so they will know how to work with us.  Urgh!  Still at a loss if anyone has any more suggestions, PLEASE send them my way!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time finding someone, Janna.  The simple truth is that it's really tough to find a photographer in a major metropolitan area with experience, academic training, and a strong portfolio for less than the prices you're finding.  

Part of the reason is that the vast majority of work your photographer will do for you will actually happen after your wedding day as they sift through thousands of images and perform the necessary edits.  That's different than, say, a caterer or DJ, whose obligations to you are pretty much fulfilled on the day of.  Not trying to be preachy or anything, just trying to share some insight as to why you're running into such high quotes.

That said, if you still can't find someone and don't have wiggle room in the budget, you could always try finding a couple of photography students at UH or Rice who may be willing to use your wedding as a portfolio building shoot.  The quality will be a wildcard, especially since they'll be much less experienced with retouching, but the price will be tough to beat.
  • edited December 2011
    They quoted you 3K? What is included with that package? Have you reviewed the images in the package and see if you can remove some unnecessary items to reduce cost? I would start with the reverse approach and tell the photographer what you need from them. For example, I want 5 hrs coverage with bridal session. In addition, I want a flush mount album and CD with my images for printing. What is the best price you can offer.
    The photographer we used didnt have a cookie cutter package for every client. He customized every package tailored to what the client needed. My friend booked him several years ago and they spent $3500 while we spent $2700. The diffence in pricing was the bridal session and number of numbers needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards