South Asian Weddings
Options

Studio Sush -- Can't Get a Hold of Her

Hi all,

A friend of a friend recommended Sutdio Sush (Sushmita is her name, I believe) for hair and make up. 

I like the idea of having one person/business help me with hair/make up/dressing up/tikka (and even mehndi if someone in their team is a mehndi artist). 

But I can't manage to get her to call me back.... Not sure if she checks VM or not? 

Has anyone worked with Studio Sush?  Thoughts on her work?  Does she use MAC/Bobbi Brown (those are my favorite make up lines for big events)?  And MOST importantly, is she punctual/responsive?  I am so type-A -- I can't wait for anyone on my wedding day, lol. 

Pls post or PM me with experiences.  I would appreciate the insight. 

Thx.

Re: Studio Sush -- Can't Get a Hold of Her

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, also, if you have any alternative options for hair/make up/and dress pinning for an Indian bridal outfit, please let me know.  I'm in NJ. 

If I can't get someone to help with everything, I will use some recs I got from this board to contact separate hair/make up artists. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have worked with her in the past, please e-mail me so I can help.

info @ =)
    Abhi
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've had the same problem, actually got in touch with her and she told me she will call me back and never heard back and tried again and nothing.  not very reliable, but work looks good.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I never tried contacting her, but my gut feeling is if you can't get in touch with her now, I would move onto someone else. You need someone reliable and dependable for your wedding day.

ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi...

I heard she is VERY unreliable and to be honest she did my best friend's wedding and did NO JUSTICE to my friends beauty.  She is not as great as people seem to keep saying.  I would opt for a professional non-desi vendor.

Sim
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all.  Yea... I need someone who will cater to my neuroses and answer my phone calls!

I only thought of her because she did hair and make up and I heard did a decent job.  Plus, since I need two complete hair and make up looks, thought I might get a discount from a desi vendor who understands that Indian weddings involve and outfit change. 

Currently, I have a vendor who will do two complete looks for 250 + 150.  And then she wants to charge $20/hour for the 5-6 hours between my make up applications.  She won't go home in between, but will be around to help me.  So that is a total of $520 for the day.  Pretty good deal? 

Anyone have any other suggestions?  I do want someone who is has an eye for fresh looks and uses MAC/Nars/Bobbi Brown. 

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like a great deal to me!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds really good to me!

I'm pretty sure my MUA won't be that good of a deal : /
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks.  That is so comforting!  I think I will go with her if $520 is a good deal, because she does seem relatively talented.

I am planning this wedding from D.C. and don't make it up to N.J. nearly as often as I would like to due to work contraints.  I am in a "let's just book things" kind of roll.  Would you book a make up artist after viewing several pictures and speaking with them on the phone?  Or have you heard horror stories about trials going terribly wrong.  I would definitely try her in June when I'm up in NJ for a wedding anyhow. 

Thoughts?

• Options
    temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    That is seems like a good deal.  My area is admittedly really expensive (yes, I think more than NJ), but I paid $350 just for the MUA to apply it the day of and another $150 for the trial (which I did the day of our engagement photos).  And the hair was separate!

As far as booking, I personally wouldn't book before doing a trial, but not so much because I think I would look bad but it might just be hard to work with them.  I think when people don't like their trial it's usually not so much that the MUA is bad, but they might not listen or the bride doesn't know how to explain what she wants and the MUA doesn't try to understand.  Also, in my case, I am not the majority ethnic group in my area, so I didn't see girls like me in anyone's portfolio and I also find that a lot of people can't/won't do my hair.  That might make a difference if you've seen their work on someone of your own physical type.

I would expect that you have to pay something upfront for the trial, so that money would be gone if you don't book.  Find out when you would need to book.

As far as products, my MUA was willing to use products clients requested, so again, you should just ask them to.  I ended up going with her products, though, because they were longer lasting.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    that sounds like a great deal - would you mind sending me her contact info? i'm looking for a makeup/hair person right now! thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards