March 2012 Weddings

Must have songs: reception

So in an effort to make a good size play list. I thought I would get some ideas from you ladies.  What are some of your must have songs at the reception?  Are you sticking with all "wedding/love" theme with the songs or playing some songs just because you like them.  Let me know :)

Re: Must have songs: reception

• Other than our 'dances,' we probably won't request too many specific songs. We just want to make sure the dance floor keeps moving!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• edited February 2012
    Well I'm not sure what kind of music you like or whatever.  But as tacky as it sounds the song Cupid Shuffle always gets people on the dance floor... And I think it's actually kind of fun
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_must-have-songs-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:ce424090-7a50-47a5-86cd-fa33bf172567Post:856dd1ef-285d-4961-a795-daedf1ad77c0">Re: Must have songs: reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I'm not sure what kind of music you like or whatever.  But as tacky as it sounds the song Cupid Shuffle always gets people on the dance floor... And I think it's actually kind of fun
    Posted by amber0389[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree and actually kind of enjoy the song. Everyone knows the dance, and even if you don't it's easy to pick up and it gets people moving! We made a pretty hefty list of some of our favorite songs/artists for our DJ, so I guess we're just picking songs that we like as opposed to "wedding-y songs." I'm sure he'll play "love songs" but that's not my top priority - that's what our first dance is for. </div>
  • mrsmustard12mrsmustard12 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Here are mine:

Jimmy Buffett - Brown Eyed Girl
    Don Omar - Danza Kuduro (I don't speak great spanish but I think this is a raunchy song but almost none of my guests speak spanish either so it works since it's catchy)
    Corona - Rhythm of the Night
    Brad Paisley - Then
    Rihanna - We Found Love
    Journey - Don't Stop Believing
    Johnny Clegg Band - Dela (South African artist that I like)
    Lady Gaga - Just Dance
    Pitbull - International Love
    Sean Kingston - Party All Night
    The Outfield - Your Love

Other than that I want the DJ to play whatever keeps the guests dancing!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I ditto the cupid shuffle... and the cha cha slide! I don't care what people say about them being overplayed wedding songs... they're songs that almost anyone is willing to get up for because it's not relying on the person to dance on their own. hah  My grandma taught me the electric slide when I was little, so I'll be playing that too... She also loves the Chicken Dance but I'll probably nix that one.  Haven't decided about the YMCA but no Macarana (it is so gosh darn long!!!)
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_must-have-songs-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:ce424090-7a50-47a5-86cd-fa33bf172567Post:c70f9c36-1807-491f-a5fb-f4c26f5f8675">Re: Must have songs: reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I ditto the cupid shuffle... and the cha cha slide! I don't care what people say about them being overplayed wedding songs... they're songs that almost anyone is willing to get up for because it's not relying on the person to dance on their own. hah</strong>  My grandma taught me the electric slide when I was little, so I'll be playing that too... She also loves the Chicken Dance but I'll probably nix that one.  Haven't decided about the YMCA but no Macarana (it is so gosh darn long!!!)
    Posted by cmac3504[/QUOTE]

I agree with all this. I think they are over played because they are great songs for group situations like that. If I am at a wedding where I don't really know anyone and I kind of want to dance that is my opportunity to get up and hop in!  They take the pressure out of dancing for people.
  • We have quite the lengthy list of must play songs, which includes a mixture of all genres. The group dance songs that are a must for us are the cupid shuffle and the electric slide. Much to my mother's dismay, I decided against the chicken dance. :)

I don't care how much people hate either of the above songs, I love them, I dance to them, and I plan to have both at my wedding. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_march-2012-weddings_must-have-songs-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:955e4823-0be1-44ef-9ee7-99a63794e103Discussion:ce424090-7a50-47a5-86cd-fa33bf172567Post:c70f9c36-1807-491f-a5fb-f4c26f5f8675">Re: Must have songs: reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I ditto the cupid shuffle... and the cha cha slide! I don't care what people say about them being overplayed wedding songs... they're songs that almost anyone is willing to get up for because it's not relying on the person to dance on their own. hah  My grandma taught me the electric slide when I was little, so I'll be playing that too... She also loves the Chicken Dance but I'll probably nix that one.  Haven't decided about the YMCA but no Macarana (it is so gosh darn long!!!)
    Posted by cmac3504[/QUOTE]

totally agree with this!!!!! anything to help keep people dancing and enjoying themselves!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I"m with everyone else! We're doing a few of the "generic wedding songs" and then just letting the DJ choose. We told him the most important thing to us is that people have fun and dance so I'm hoping he'll just read the crowd and make good choices.
    March 2012 Knotties Siggy Challenge - Favorite Engagement Picture Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am actually still working on my song lists. My DJ said he prefered if I had a lot bc he wants to read my crowd and use songs to transition. I have a few in spanish I definitely want 'El Campanero' (a party must in our families), Selena, a lot of cumbias, Fito Olivares ...but here's what I have so far for the english ones:

Show Goes On, Lupe FIasco
    Party Rock, LMFAO
    Cupid Shuffle
    I Get a Good Feeling
    Drop it Low, Ludacris
    Paper Planes
    ANYTHING Garth Brooks :)
    ANYTHING Adele

I am more concerned with my 'Do Not play', but these lists are a work in progress:
    Put A Ring On it
    YMCA
    Anything JLO
  • I didn't know what the Cupid Shuffle was. I "You Tubed" it. Let me tell you...... I was hopping and bopping in my seat just now. Awesome song, and I just wanna get up and move my feet to the beat! OH YEAH! Definitely playing this song!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards