Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

to have a wedding or just go to city hall

my fiance and i got in engaged on christmas day. we are having our engagement party in may. we want to have our ceremony at the same site as the reception. we started to look at venue's and we were hoping for the prices to be cheaper. he doesnt want to not include the children in his side of the family. he suggested we just get maried in city hall and have a more expensive honeymoon instead of spending a ton of money on the wedding so we can use the rest of the money on our home. i agree we shouldnt spend alot of money for the wedding . i would rather put the money towards the house and have a nice honeymoon but i also want our family to be there to watch us get marry. i dont know what to do because i dont want city hall. can anyone suggest anything?

Re: to have a wedding or just go to city hall

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_to-have-a-wedding-or-just-go-to-city-hall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:de277a81-0798-4db7-8f91-e67739edffb2Post:4e2631b4-edf9-491d-8efe-1d1168fa76c5">to have a wedding or just go to city hall</a>:
    [QUOTE]my fiance and i got in engaged on christmas day. we are having our engagement party in may. we want to have our ceremony at the same site as the reception. we started to look at venue's and we were hoping for the prices to be cheaper. he doesnt want to not include the children in his side of the family. he suggested we just get maried in city hall and have a more expensive honeymoon instead of spending a ton of money on the wedding so we can use the rest of the money on our home. i agree we shouldnt spend alot of money for the wedding . i would rather put the money towards the house and have a nice honeymoon but i also want our family to be there to watch us get marry. i dont know what to do because i dont want city hall. can anyone suggest anything?
    Posted by SA102006[/QUOTE]

Check out the budget weddings board. There are a TON of ways to have an inexpensive wedding that is not just a quck courthouse ordeal. Why not do a cake/punch reception in the church hall? Or do a BBQ lunch at a local park and have a JOP come marry you there? The most expensive part of weddings is really the photography (and you can save by only having them for a short window or using a student/friend), and the food/alcohol...which again, you can save if you don't do a dinner and instead do lunch or just hour devours.

Also, TECHNICALLY, since you had an engagement party, you need to invite those guests to the wedding b/c all guests included in pre-wedding parties need to be invited to witness the wedding.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Try posting on your local boards to get some ideas on less expesnive places. I am sure someone over there will have a great suggestion! Have you looked into city parks, or know someone with a great backyard? Think about how big/many people you want to invite and what your budget is. You don't have to have a catered affair. You could do an afternoon wedding with a cake and punch recption. Check your local boards and also the budget board for inexpensive ideas.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_to-have-a-wedding-or-just-go-to-city-hall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:de277a81-0798-4db7-8f91-e67739edffb2Post:b1fbb4e4-c67f-47e6-950d-c0915d7ba855">Re: to have a wedding or just go to city hall</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to to have a wedding or just go to city hall : Check out the budget weddings board. There are a TON of ways to have an inexpensive wedding that is not just a quck courthouse ordeal. Why not do a cake/punch reception in the church hall? <strong>Or do a BBQ lunch at a local park and have a JOP come marry you there?</strong> <strong>The most expensive part of weddings is really the photography</strong> (and you can save by only having them for a short window or using a student/friend), and the food/alcohol...which again, you can save if you don't do a dinner and instead do lunch or just hour devours. Also, TECHNICALLY, since you had an engagement party, you need to invite those guests to the wedding b/c all guests included in pre-wedding parties need to be invited to witness the wedding.
    Posted by MiksChick23[/QUOTE]
    I agree that you can still make this work if you research ways to save money. Honestly, though, having a BBQ lunch at a local park is nearly impossible in NYC. There aren't exactly a whole lot of parks, most can't be rented out for private use, and most aren't large enough. <div>
    </div><div>The idea that photography is the most expensive part isn't always true either. Catering prices in the Tri-State START at $100pp. It took a hell of a lot of work for me to find a place that I could haggle & sacrifice for $67pp. Even with a small wedding of 50 people, that's way more than the average photographer.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, check out the budget board, DIY board and your local board for tips. The ladies there can help you. </div>
  • Options
    thank you everyone for your suggestions
  • Options
    When I married my hubby almost 7 1/2 years ago we eloped because I had two nagging aunts who liked to meddle in my life.  It's been really rocky for us but we are still married and are planning a vow renewal outdoors because we really love being outside.  We are including our boys in the ceremony with doing Unity Sand of 4 different colors.  I know that we are doing our ceremony, reception and other stuff under $2000.00 and we are still doing a honeymoon before we move out of state.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_to-have-a-wedding-or-just-go-to-city-hall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:de277a81-0798-4db7-8f91-e67739edffb2Post:6f55a091-5734-4ff4-a4b0-01791683c0f5">Re: to have a wedding or just go to city hall</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: to have a wedding or just go to city hall : I agree that you can still make this work if you research ways to save money. Honestly, though, having a BBQ lunch at a local park is nearly impossible in NYC. There aren't exactly a whole lot of parks, most can't be rented out for private use, and most aren't large enough.  The idea that photography is the most expensive part isn't always true either. Catering prices in the Tri-State START at $100pp. It took a hell of a lot of work for me to find a place that I could haggle & sacrifice for $67pp. Even with a small wedding of 50 people, that's way more than the average photographer. OP, check out the budget board, DIY board and your local board for tips. The ladies there can help you. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

Holy cats! Ok, I will admit I didn't pay attention to where OP was located, but that is CRAZY expensive. My photography costs about 2/3 what my food does, which is a LOT less than your figures. Goes to show how different prices range depending on location!!
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Have a winter wedding (november-march). Everything is usually discounted. And don't be afraid to ask for a discount either. I asked every single vendor.
    I got $100 off my dress, $100 off my photography, free delivery and centerpieces from my florist, and $250 off my DJ. This time of year is super slow for everyone. So they are willing to work with you. We are the only event at the banquet hall next Friday.  Also look into a Friday or Sunday wedding. That saved me $10 per person at the banquet hall. Good luck!
  • Options
    thank you everybody i will keep your suggestions in mind
  • Options
    What ever you do you should both agree on it and both be comfortable with it, but I don't necessarily recommend city hall. Maybe just getting a justice of the peace and inviting immediate family and friends and doing it in the park or the back yard. You could have a cookout afterwards. It'd be nice. 

Good luck to you! Smile
  • Options

Maybe check local restaurants to see if you can rent one out before they open in the evening and do an early afternoon reception. If they have a courtyard/open space/interior decorations that you like you could possibly even have your ceremony there. Just a thought..I have no idea what's in your area! Do you or someone you know live in an apartment with rooftop space? That could be a fun location for a ceremony and your catering options wouldn't be limited by your venue.

"When life hands you lemons, make a beef stew." Andy Milinokis
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards