Getting in Shape

Fi recipe help

Okay girls... You all know Fi has been on the fence about working out and getting healthy and HE IS FINALLY ON BAORD!!!!!! Omg, I know it took forever but he is. He has said he will make better choices when it comes to food and he will commit to walking with me twice a week to start with. This all starts Monday when his friend moves out of our house... (Been with us over a month. Didnt mind at first, like the guy but LONG time).

Anywho, I need healthy recipes for me to cook him.
He does not eat veggies except onions and peppers. He will not eat fruit and will not eat condiments. He is very much a meat and potatoes guy.... ONLY.

We do fajitas a lot with chicken, pot roast, I do baked chicken, we do a lot on the grill... I need to get him a kick start because if he does not see results in two weeks, he will stop... He promised to eat healthy at work and I was to monitor him at home.

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

Re: Fi recipe help

• Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2013
    I think you could adapt most of these recipes to only include the veggies he will eat.

Some of our favs:
    -Salsa chicken in the crockpot is super easy - I usually give H some brown rice with it.  (It's literally a jar of your preferred salsa or a fun salsa flavor, with chicken, in the crockpot.  Then we shred it.)  Delicious, easy, inexpensive.
    -Healthy Gyros (we wrapped them in a leaner option):http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/01/chicken-gyros-opa.html
    -This soup tastes like pizza, no lie- http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2009/03/day-56-tomato-basil-parmesan-soup.html
    -Quesdillas (use less cheese, but still feels like you're eating bad!) http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/964263/sunday-dinner-roasted-corn-black-bean-and-avocado-quesadillas
    -Make our own pizza: we go to the grocery and pick out our favorite stuff that isn't too terrible and make a whole wheat dough at home.  Healthy, fun date night in activity, and well, it's pizza!

I'm also making these over the next two weeks-
    -Blackened Chicken with Cilantro Lime Quinoa
    http://www.sarcasticcooking.com/2012/03/15/blackened-chicken-and-cilantro-lime-quinoa/
    -Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowls
    http://theshiksa.com/2012/05/01/quinoa-black-bean-burrito-bowls/
    -Chipotle Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/chicken/chipotle-glazed-roast-chicken-with-sweet-potatoes/
    -Black Bean Tacos
    http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2012/04/04/cornerstone-cooking-crunchy-black-bean-tacos/#more-33746

Another thought, most people get more into dieting/eating healthy, when they realize they can still have snacks and munch on stuff.  I would suggest stocking up on lots of healthier snacking options - 100 cal popcorn, hummus, etc - so that when he's hungry or noshy, he has options he will want to eat.  Once he's more into the new lifestyle, then maybe you can make things a little more strict :)  Just an idea!
    Anniversary
  • Kwith, I hate when people are like how do I and they didnt google and.... And you know thats what I just did!!! lol.

I didnt think to google it but now I will!! DUH moment. Sorry.

He will eat alfredo sause, not mariana sauce and he loves pasta so wheat pasta, not regular right? The sausage and peppers and onions sound good....

He will not let me mash any veggies. He has a mental block since he was a kick with veggies and he cannot eat them. 
    Bfast for dinner is a good option for me. He hates eggs.... He is a VERY DIFFICULT man   

• Lobster, I am looking forward to the salsa chicken!! YUM!!!
    Thank you for that. He loves dillas too and if I make them, I can monitor the cheese intake... The blackened chicken sounds yummY!!! Thank you thank you thank you

I didnt think about changing snacks around... Good thought. He loves to eat and watch tv so I need to break that habit but 100 cal packs will be perfect because he loves oreos and they have 100 cals packs for them. Hes super picky. 

Sorry guys but thank you.  

• He hates popcorn... Me too!! Good idea though. My mom loves it and she wants in on this too. She is diabetic so finding food for her is IMPOSSIBLE!!
    Stir fries would be okay if he didnt love fried rice... He will pick out the rice and chicken  and thats it...

He actually likes wheat pasta and brown rice so im good on that. No battle for me... thank goodness because I have a feeling we are going to battle a lot coming into this. I am googling hiding veggies not because if its on the home browser, he will not eat my cooking. Lol.... Hes wierd which is why I love him.

Thank you soo much for the help. Getting him to commit to eating better and walking with me was a HUGE struggle as you all know so I dont want to deprive him... Just want to get him healthier.

You girls ROCK!!!

• I think it ate it... I dont see anything.

• @Nike - a good way to trick him? VEGETABLE pasta. You can't even tell it's veggies, but it's got a few more nutrients than normal pasta. It's funny colors, so you might have to throw the sauce on it before he sees it, but might be worth trying.

You may need to try to convince your FI that he needs to be willing to try something new. I'm a super picky eater and DH over time has gotten me to try new things. It's a slow process, but not eating any vegetables shouldn't really be an option...veggies are so dang good for you! Maybe make a deal with him? He tries one new food/veggie a month and is rewarded with something?
  • Entro, I will look into that pasta. Can I buy it anywhere? I shop a Publix (FL) thing I know... It is kinda like Martin's at home and I also shop at Walmart. 
    Veggies are not a wont eat thing, its a cant eat thing. He has a mental block. Nutrisonist (sp) tried and he cant. He takes vitamins to get his nutrients but he just cannot eat them.  

• Yeah, you can get veggie pasta anywhere - Barilla makes a brand that's about $0.50 more than their traditional counter parts :)
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We love the ronzoni garden delight!  That's our one-a-week pasta splurge dinner
    Anniversary
  • Thanks Syd... I love the signature!! LMAO

• @Lobsters - the ronzoni is the pasta we eat! We love making baked ziti with it. 

@Nike - you should be able to pick up some kind of veggie pasta anywhere :)
  • Thanks all. I will try it and see if he notices a difference!!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_fi-recipe-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4b876a13-0562-4329-b9eb-c64e81ac90cdPost:f0fc7b4b-52c3-418a-915a-55cece44e99e">Fi recipe help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay girls... You all know Fi has been on the fence about working out and getting healthy and HE IS FINALLY ON BAORD!!!!!! Omg, I know it took forever but he is. He has said he will make better choices when it comes to food and he will commit to walking with me twice a week to start with. This all starts Monday when his friend moves out of our house... (Been with us over a month. Didnt mind at first, like the guy but LONG time). Anywho, I need healthy recipes for me to cook him. He does not eat veggies except onions and peppers. He will not eat fruit and will not eat condiments. He is very much a meat and potatoes guy.... ONLY. We do fajitas a lot with chicken, pot roast, I do baked chicken, we do a lot on the grill... I need to get him a kick start because if he does not see results in two weeks, he will stop... He promised to eat healthy at work and I was to monitor him at home.
    Posted by nikegrl688[/QUOTE]

<div>I make a beef stir fry with onions and peppers. </div><div>
    </div><div>It's quick and easy...</div><div>
    </div><div>1 lb beef cubes</div><div>1 green pepper</div><div>1 red pepper</div><div>1/4 onion</div><div>
    </div><div>Chop the veggies up and placed in a pan with the beef. I put about a 1/4 cup of water and cook on high for 10-15 minutes. Or until whenever it's cooked through.</div><div>
    </div><div>On another burner I'll make brown rice.</div><div>
    </div><div>Once it's all down I plate the rice, cover with the stir fry and we top with whichever sauce / spices we like. FI likes some BBQ spicy flavor. </div><div>
    Quick and easy and healthy!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Krose, Sounds simple and yummy. Thank you.

I have wrote down all of these so I can make a grocery list for this weekend and get him started right away!!

Thank you all soo much

• Nike, DS has the same sort of thing - for him, it's the texture of veggies. It makes him throw up. Pureeing them and hiding them in 'regular' food works really well.

Jessica Seinfeld put out a cookbook a few years back that has lots of great recipes for doing just that. Both my kids LOVED the brownies - and they had spinich and carrots in them!

I agree with Entropic - I'm super picky too, but am trying to be more open to trying new things. It's opened up a whole new world!

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jenny, that is EXACTLY his problem!! Its mental but it still happens. He is like that with a lot of foods... I will try puree and look up some and see if he can notice the difference. Thank you.

Stage, I wish he ate seafood. I love it but he doesnt

Lia, that sounds yummy for me!! He would never eat it but I will do that when he is away for a weekend. Thank you !!

• Ooh, another vote for the shiska food blog that I saw someone mention above.  Such good recipes on there.  Another good one is loveandoliveoil.com, they have a good blend of delicious/healthy recipes.  And I think the writer's husband has some food dislikes that she gets around by sneaking in certain ingredients, might be worth taking some tips!  Also, smittenkitchen.com--more decadent recipes than healthy ones, but occasionally something good.

Would he eat healthy smoothies?  I ask because it's super easy to hide amazingly healthy ingredients (kale, spinach, chard) in those if you have a high-quality blender and mix them with dark fruits like strawberries, raspberries, etc to camouflage the color.  Or if he won't eat fruit, you can make ones that taste like chocolate ice cream with the right chocolate protein powder (lots of vegetarian/vegan ones out there, if that's a concern), nonfat Greek yogurt, banana, and honey.  Throw in some chia seeds (or flax or hemp) and you also get lots of good fatty acids and fiber without any weird flavors.

Also, something to consider is swapping in beans for meat, i.e. black bean tacos, all-bean chili, etc.  A lot less fat, way more fiber, and not a huge difference in texture.

Some more basic tips (not sure he'd like all of these, but you could try some)--always try to use half-fat or skim dairy instead of whole fat or cream, eat a little dark chocolate for dessert instead of ice cream or pastry, munch on roasted almonds or walnuts for a snack instead of chips, use honey or stevia instead of sugar, use a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar on salads instead of dressing, no sodas (even diet!), lots and lots of water every day (mix in some mint, lemon, lime, or cucumber slices to make it taste more interesting).  I've read about green tea having a metabolic boost effect, not sure if that's true, but it's also good for you in other ways.

It sounds like your FI is very difficult to cook for, I hope he appreciates the effort you're making!  Hopefully he'll be willing to give it more than two weeks, that's really not a lot of time to see a significant improvement in your fitness or weight.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards