Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

non-traditional music

Okay ladies, I'm up for suggestions.  We are doing nontraditional music for the outdoor ceremony and one acoustic guitarist will be playing, I think I might ask my guitarist to sing the lyrics as well.  I haven't decided yet.  I've been researching songs we like, but I am not sure how many of them would work out with just a guitar. (I am not musically inclined at all.)  We are huge Dave Matthews Band, Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, and John Mayer fans.  Any suggestions for processional and recessional, my entrance, and seating of the family? Thanks ya'll!

Re: non-traditional music

• Options
    CMJ&MDL2010CMJ&MDL2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are hoping to have the song Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros for our recessional.  It may not be possible with our violin and cello duo (waiting to hear back from the musicians) but it is possible to get guitar sheet music for the song.  I think it is a wonderful song ... :-)

• Options
    GreColeGreCole member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tim Reynolds has some beautiful songs... not sure how difficult they would be for someone to just pick up though... :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're going for the same kinda vibe with our guitarist.  Check out my bio for our songs.
    Vacation

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love it!  You have some GREAT!!! stuff!  Such a huge help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can ask my FI if he can think of anything, he is a huge, and I mean HUGE DMB fan; I actually have one of his DMB posters staring down at me right now.  I'll ask him when he gets home from work tonight and PM you so of his suggestions.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go & hear your guitarist sing someplace else before you ask him to sing for the wedding.  Just because he can play doesn't mean he can sing.  GL
  • Options
    erikac0401erikac0401 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    forever by ben harper
    somewhere over the rainbow (popular right now)
    blackbird-beatles
    in my life-beatles
    brett dennen-she's mine, the one who loves you the most and more...

That's all I can think of at the moment but we're in the same boat!
  • Options
    JennasourusJennasourus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

you should check out Justin Nozuka he has a few songs that would be beautiful for the ceremony
  • Options
    stephy_pink83stephy_pink83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "Better Together" by Jack Johnson- so sweet!
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Youtube various songs you like and add "guitar" at the end to see how each one sings with no other instruments.  I did it with "piano" and wound up being able to provide our pianist with a great list, complete with examples and, in many cases, sheet music.

Good luck!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The BM's & GM's walked into an acoustic version of I'm Yours, which is fun. I walked into just piano (no lyrics or anything) of It Feels Like Home (the shower scene song in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days). Our parents walked in to an instrumental version of Eidelweiss. We went non-traditional too, and I loved it. Not that I don't think Pachelbel's canon is BEAUTIFUL; I just wanted something that I had a personal connection to.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz... also "Two is Better than One" Boys Like Girls... I doubt I have many other suggestions that match your musical taste :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

we are thinking of doing the same thing! are there any songs in particular that you love (both of you)? maybe you can get him to just slow it down if they are too fast?

i also second brett dennen!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards