Getting in Shape
Options

help! feel like nothing is working, rant

So I've been watching the board and following others advice on getting in shape for the wedding- I need to lose 20-30lbs. I've been dieting and working out for 8 weeks and have not lost a single pound. I have lost 1/2 inch off my waist and 1/2 inch off my thighs, but I feel like after 2 months I should also see the scale go down. I just don't know what I am doing wrong- anyone have any ideas?

The good:
- I joined Weight Watchers and have been diligent about measuring every single bite of food. I eat a lot of fresh veggies and cook for myself so I know exactly what is going into my food. I use all of my daily and weekly points, but only use my exercize points sometimes. When I do use my exercize points, the scale goes up.
-I am doing the 30 Day Shred 6 days a week, and I also do 30 mins of cardio 3 times a week.
- I got a personal trainer that I meet with twice a week

The not-so-good:
- I am pretty stressed about working on my PhD right now
- As a part of my allowed WW points, I do have red wine and carbs

Has anyone else had this issue? Do I need to give up wine and carbs to see results? Do I need to not use my weekly WW points? Thanks for listening.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: help! feel like nothing is working, rant

• Options

I live a "paleo" lifestyle, and am very happy with the results.  You can google that, or "caveman diet".  I don't "diet" anymore, this is a whole lifestyle change for me.  I loved the book the paleo solution. It gives you some insight why grains, and sugars are bad.
    Good luck, stay positive and it will happen :)

• Options
    If you've lost a half inch around your waist, you've lost some sort of weight.  You may have gained muscle mass, however, which may be why the scale isn't going down. 

Are you eating fewer calories and/or exercising more than you did previously?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    You shouldn't need to give up your carbs or red wine.  Have you seen a doctor recently? 

I mean, you ARE doing something, with the inch lost.  But it does seem to me like a little more should be happening.  I would maybe think about speaking to a doctor.

My other thought is that your body is at a weight it likes.  I don't need to know how much you weigh or anything like that--but take a seriously look at whether or not you really need to lose weight.  You'd be surprised how many people come around here saying they're 5'6" and 120 lbs and would like to lose 5-10 more lbs and can't figure out why they're not losing.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I also do WW, and I notice that when I eat my weekly points, I don't always lose. When I only eat my daily, and when I work out, I lose. I feel like my body is really sensitive, so when I only eat my 26 points, that's the right amount to lose, but eating maybe 30-35 a day for the week or 26 a day and 40-45 for a couple days (eating those weekly points) tips me just into maintaining, not losing. 

Maybe try just eating your daily, and not your weekly, and see what happens?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I totally agree with Meg. I'm doing weight watchers too and only see progress when I just use my daily points. I try not to use my exercise points or weekly points if I can avoid it. Maybe try sticking to just the daily points for a couple weeks and see if that helps?
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. I will stop using my weekly points- wish I had realized I wasn't supposed to use them 2 months ago!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What?  NO.  You ARE supposed to use your weekly points--they wouldn't give them to you if you weren't supposed to use them!   The people that don't lose when they do use them usually don't have much weight to lose.

Everyone is different.  I actually lost more weight, much more quickly when I went into maintenance on WW, because I wasn't eating ENOUGH. 

I mean, you can certainly try it, but they wouldn't give you the points if you "weren't supposed to use them."

• Options

I am also doing WW. I was really frustrated and tried a few different things and am now seeing some movement on the scale. I was stuck for a few weeks after losing my first 4 lbs or so and not seeing movement. I started on January 4th. 

I cut out diet soda, I know, it sucks, but water with lemon is starting to be an ok substitute. I read a couple of studies linking diet soda to weight gain, you never know what all those chemicals could be doing to your body. And I know I definitely felt more bloated when I was drinking it everyday. I don't avoid carbs all together but trying to be really good about eating a lot more frust and veggies during the week for meals, fruit with yogurt for breakfast or veggies and egg whites with dry wheat toast, veggie soup for lunch, salad with chicken and maybe some goat cheese or feta for dinner with a pita.

I've seen another 5 lbs in two weeks, and I only had 20 to lose from the start. I never use more than maybe 10 of the weekly points for a dinner out on the weekend or something special and don't use the excercise points either. I try to be as good as I can and really eat healthy during the week, looking forward to the weekend and knowing I can have what I want. I really did notice once I started seeing some more results though I wanted to eat healthier to keep them going. You will see the results, plus think of the good things you're doing for your body in the mean time. And I agree it also totally has to do with what a healthy weight is for your body, the less you have to lose the harder it is to get it off, but sounds like you're doing it right.

• Options
    There was just an article in the NY Times about this - http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/in-new-diet-math-subtracting-is-hard/

It's apparently a really common problem under the new Points Plus system.  It turns out they may have given people too many points, and WW has stated that members who aren't having success can cut their points allotment by 10%. 
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I'm not on WW but I do calorie count. The one thing I noticed for myself and have to be really dilligent about is being honest with myself about the portions. I find it necessary to even measure things out. I found I was eating healthy but over eating because I was hugely overestimating my portions. I hope that helps a little. The other recommentation I have, is try changing up your work outs. If you're been doing the same thing for 8 weeks and it isn't working - time for a change. Everyone raves about the 30DS, but honestly, its 25 mins of cardio, you can't burn that much in 25 minutes. Try going to a class like zumba, spinning, or kick boxing. Just once a week. It may be the kick start you need.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I did WW a long time ago and there were others talking about not getting anywhere then, too.  I'm not sure how it's changed since then, but people were having success with adding up their daily points into a weekly points and then tricking their bodies by eating more one day and less then next.  I know it works for other people to so it might be something to consider.   Also, are you sore or spent at all after working out?  You may need to change up your routine or increase the intensity.  Stress is a big factor, too.  Alcohol and carbs are big nos, but red wine is better than anything else.  I've limited myself to 1 glass on Friday and Saturday nights.

Since you're working with a personal trainer, I would suggest talking to him.  Maybe you really only need to lose 10-15 and if so, those are the hardest of all.  Also, LOTS of water. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_help-feel-like-nothing-is-working-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:8fa9eb59-2c2d-4cb5-bf7c-c03df1109eefPost:87221566-af59-46a5-8e89-4ad039e5788d">Re: help! feel like nothing is working, rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did WW a long time ago and there were others talking about not getting anywhere then, too.  I'm not sure how it's changed since then, but people were having success with adding up their daily points into a weekly points and then tricking their bodies by eating more one day and less then next.  I know it works for other people to so it might be something to consider.   Also, are you sore or spent at all after working out?  You may need to change up your routine or increase the intensity.  Stress is a big factor, too. <strong> Alcohol and carbs are big nos,</strong> but red wine is better than anything else.  I've limited myself to 1 glass on Friday and Saturday nights. Since you're working with a personal trainer, I would suggest talking to him.  Maybe you really only need to lose 10-15 and if so, those are the hardest of all.  Also, LOTS of water. 
    Posted by xobride[/QUOTE]

This is so wrong.  Carbs are GOOD.  Fruits and veggies have carbs.  Your brain and body  need carbs to function.  Alcohol is fine in moderation.

Nothing should be completely off limits, or you're setting yourself up to fail.

• Options
    Carbs are ok, but you should go for smart carbs more often than not.  Think fruits instead of grain products.  When you do eat grain carbs, definitely eat whole wheat instead of refined.  Wheat has more fiber to it, which is not only healthier and helps you feel more full, it lowers the net amount of carbs your body takes in.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice and tips. I think I will try just eating my daily WW points. I'm already working out so hard, I gave up diet soda years ago and only drink green tea and water during the day, and I've switched over to whole wheat. Just a little frustrated I guess, but I'll keep at it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards