Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Anxious about photographer following through

The first photographer we contacted did the photography for FSIL's wedding last June. After corresponding (twice), the photographer just won't get back with us.

So we opted out.

We had another contact lined up which I contacted on Sunday (06/03). He offered me a great deal as he is good friends with a friend of my mom's. He said he was going to email me the contract, but almost a week later we haven't received anything. I'm going to give him until Wednesday, and if I don't hear back, I'll contact him again - maybe he made a typo when emailing it? I don't know.

How long did it take for other photographers to send contracts to everyone?

I know that when we told the DJ that we were going to book, I got the contract in my email that same day.

I mentioned this to my mom and she's a little surprised that we haven't received anything yet - though, like I said, I'm giving him until Wednesday before I contact him again. Maybe something major came up that has delayed him emailing the contract?

But I'm starting to lose confidence. After the first one, I was really happy to work with this guy (especially after everything we discussed!), but (maybe I'm just being impatient) I'm starting to worry that this might turn into the same situation as the other. I'm just really anxious to get the photographer booked, contract signed & deposit sent in.

Though another member here just posted her e-pictures and linked to a local photographer - $350.00 more than we're currently supposed to pay (with the one that we are waiting on the contract for), but I'd be willing to pay that extra. So I guess if this second photographer flops like the first, hopefully I can convince FI that the extra $350.00 will be worth it for this other photographer if she's not booked for our date.

But maybe this is all standard for this? What has this process been like for everyone else?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anxious about photographer following through

• Options
    I did have one photographer that I contacted send me his pricing and then I never heard from him again.  I also had one stand me up at our meeting.

This is the height of wedding season so it could be that he is just really busy.  But yeah, I say if you haven't heard by Wednesday, it may be time to move on.  Once I met with the photographer I ended up choosing, everythinig was done in a matter of days.
  • Options
    Thank you for your input, stephiehall!

I'm wondering if this will be how it is for us.

I spoke with my mom at length about this today. She spoke with her friend who is good friends with him and she said that I don't need to worry about him not being there - that he's just a procrastinator.

Which that basically just made me worry more. This is a side business/hobby/job for both that we've contacted so far - so if they miss out on a photography opportunity, it's really not hurting them. Which now, knowing that he is a procrastinator, makes me wonder if we're going to have issues getting our pictures in a timely manner afterwards.

I mean, this second guy sounds really good - BUT if it's a simple matter of procrastination, then that just kind of worries me.

But I now feel stuck between a rock and a hard place as I have discussed this with FI, and well, he's just not that worried about it (despite him stating how important the pictures are). The price that these two are offering are just amazing and we aren't going to find someone to do this for us for $600 anywhere else (and if so, they may not be good - get what you pay for sort of thing). I explained to FI about the other person I found - which in my heart feels promising - but FI feels that $950 is too much (and while it's a lot, I feel like that is still cheap!).

So, FI said that if this guy falls through, he wants to contact the other guy again. Which to me is absolutely maddening that he wants to go beg someone for information and a contract. I disagree with the unprofessionalism of it and just feel if it's not worth their time to respond to us (even if it's a 'sorry, I'm not available' even though they said they were), then I feel our hard earned money would do better elsewhere, even if it does cost a little more - especially seeing as our cake is costing $100 - $200 less than we expected.

Sorry, venting - this has been a sore spot all day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    <div>Hello augurey,</div><div>My name is Cammy and I'm a wedding photographer with Alex Austin Photography.</div><div>If your second photographer told you he'd email you the contract, and he didn't do it within two days I would assume he's forgotten. Unfortunately there are a lot of photographers out there that are good at taking photos, but not good at the admin/communicating part of their business.</div><div>I would contact him just as a friendly reminder to email you.</div><div>If it does fall through let me know. I'll honor your previous pricing if we have your wedding date available.</div><div>Cammy Lewis</div><div>alexaustinphotography@gmail.com</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.alexaustinphotography.com" rel="nofollow">www.alexaustinphotography.com</a></div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_anxious-about-photographer-following-through?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:0f1b07d9-69cd-45e7-9f5c-3072f5b1df2dPost:e104edad-69dc-4a04-8d63-9883b8080077">Anxious about photographer following through</a>:
    [QUOTE]The first photographer we contacted did the photography for FSIL's wedding last June. After corresponding (twice), the photographer just won't get back with us. So we opted out. We had another contact lined up which I contacted on Sunday (06/03). He offered me a great deal as he is good friends with a friend of my mom's. He said he was going to email me the contract, but almost a week later we haven't received anything. I'm going to give him until Wednesday, and if I don't hear back, I'll contact him again - maybe he made a typo when emailing it? I don't know. How long did it take for other photographers to send contracts to everyone? I know that when we told the DJ that we were going to book, I got the contract in my email that same day. I mentioned this to my mom and she's a little surprised that we haven't received anything yet - though, like I said, I'm giving him until Wednesday before I contact him again. Maybe something major came up that has delayed him emailing the contract? But I'm starting to lose confidence. After the first one, I was really happy to work with this guy (especially after everything we discussed!), but (maybe I'm just being impatient) I'm starting to worry that this might turn into the same situation as the other. I'm just really anxious to get the photographer booked, contract signed & deposit sent in. Though another member here just posted her e-pictures and linked to a local photographer - $350.00 more than we're currently supposed to pay (with the one that we are waiting on the contract for), but I'd be willing to pay that extra. So I guess if this second photographer flops like the first, hopefully I can convince FI that the extra $350.00 will be worth it for this other photographer if she's not booked for our date. But maybe this is all standard for this? What has this process been like for everyone else?
    Posted by [/QUOTE]
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012

OP. your experience wih these photographers is the difference between working with someone who does this on the side and someone who does this as their sole source of income.  Like you said--you get what you pay for.  That is no excuse for it however.

Just send him a friendly reminder and see what happens.  If he doesn't respond, you're really not going to have a choice but to look elsewhere.  And I agree--a procrastinator is not someone I want to rely on to photograph my wedding.

• Options
    I would contact A Magic Moment Photography.  They offer both photo and video and they have had a lot of experience.  Two of my friends used the company and I will be using them as well.  I know from word of mouth that they are reliable and reasonable in price.  I would check them out, good luck!
    Their website is amagicmoment.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards