Georgia-Atlanta

Worst. Day. Ever.

Background information: FI and I work together. He's into networking and programming and all that computer related jazz. He created his own affiliate website and its kind of taking off....just a little....not enough to make it his full concern or anything, but maybe eventually. Our boss caught wind of this COMPLETELY UNRELATED side job and fired us both.

Yep. Fired. We never signed anything stating we couldn't have a side job, actually never signed ANY paperwork to work there....and he fired us because we are competiton. Apparently having a website is competition period.

STUPID.

Anyway, with the wedding 95 days away I am freaking out. Luckily most of that is covered. We are doing this ourselves, but now we have no money for the honeymoon we were planning. Luckily I was able to get the Vegas deposits back, but now we have NO honeymoon.

I say all of this to say this: anyone have any ideas for a "honeymoon" in December? Flying is out of the question with out $$$, but driving is not. I was thinking Savannah, Chattanooga, maybe Florida? Gatlinburg? We haven't really traveled so I am at a complete loss.

Help?

tl;dr FI and I got fired. Help us plan a cheap honeymoon.

Re: Worst. Day. Ever.

• Gatlinburg!!!! Or the mountains in GA maybe rent a cabin.
  • I am so sorry to hear about the job situation! Have you talked to an employment lawyer at all about undue firing? Was there any paperwork signed from your termination that cited the reason? That whole situation just sounds screwed up.

Have you thought of Asheville? You could stay at a cabin up there and see the Biltmore Estate all decorated for the holidays. My parents go every year and say that it is gorgeous. (In fact, they're heading up there today for their anniversary.)
    http://www.biltmore.com/visit/calendar/holiday.asp (clicky)

Also, the town of Asheville itself is a great little college town - lots of fun, quirky restaurants and bars, and the surrounding area has great hiking.

http://www.romanticasheville.com/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    December Signature: Holiday Favorites imageLilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Don't feel bad hmidden.  I have been married over a year..still have yet to take our dream honeymoon, but my hubby did take me on a mini-honeymoon right after the wedding to Chateau Elan Resort and Winery.  It's located in Braselton, Georgia about 30 min from Atlanta.

I enjoyed it very much. http://www.chateauelan.com/packages/escape.php

image Created by Wedding Favors
  • The good thing is, that living near atlanta, you can drive to so many places!  As mentioned above and I second the N.GA mountains.  Very romantic cabin & hot tub in the winter....romantic!
  • I''m sorry to hear about your jobs....that's bull! Have faith...it'll all work out.

Diamond Mountain Rentals has some pretty sweet cabins in Gatlinburg.... We used their service back in April and were pretty happy. We were planning on going to Asheville, but now I think we are holding off until early next year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Somewhere in TN would be nice, there are tons of rentals on VRBO.com. My fiance and I are saving the flight money to go anywhere and having a nice trip to Destin, FL. I've gone there tons, he's never been, it's going to be sweet, and under $800 rental for a week in a beautiful condo. VRBO.com all the way! 
  • Gas is expensive and so are hotels.  You could have a stay-cation here in town, if you actually live in Atlanta proper or nearby.  Atlanta has great musuems, the aquarium, and parks.  Grab an Atlanta guidebook from the library and I bet you'd be surprised at what you can find to do around town.  I know it's not a proper honeymoon, but if you are both unemployed better to start out not in debt and take a real honeymoon when you can properly afford it.  Or, even though I know most posters at the Knot hate them, you could add a honeymoon registry.  If most of those invited are aware of your situation, you might find them happy to help out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards