Wedding Woes

I've got a story I can share

I forgot all  about sharing this earlier, I just recently got this story about some of DH's cousins by way of his parents.

So....my husband has cousins who are Seventh Day Adventists. They have been breeding in recent years and now have a smallish gaggle of young children who are getting into holidays and really understanding them for the first time.

Apparently, for Easter this year, one of his cousins decided the kids should only know about Jesus, no Bunny, no easter eggs, none of it.

But they still wanted to give the kids goodies. They decided to make a paper Jesus and a paper cross and crucify him. Then they took him off the cross, wrapped him in toilet paper, and put him in a fake tomb of some sort. All of course with the kids help.

Then on Easter Sunday, they opened the "tomb" and Jesus was gone! In his place color books, crayons, etc.

We decided the kids may need counseling later in life. They apparently intend to repeat this every year.

Re: I've got a story I can share

• loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is my expression at the moment:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jojobrnjojobrn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    You know, I don't know what kind of coloring books they were, but I wouldn't be surprised. 

The best part is I should be getting to meet the cousins soon at a family reunion. I hope for more stories.
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I thought SDA didn't celebrate any holidays at all, in any way. Am I confusing them with someone else? 
  • LnR70707LnR70707 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

that is so disturbing I don't know what to do other than laugh.

br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Y'know... sticking needles into a doll isn't really a "Christian" based thing. That's ok, dude sounds nuts. I'm sure he'll say the Christians did it first.
  • jojobrnjojobrn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ive-got-story-can-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:565cb183-1ad3-49f6-9a65-80e161e7b9ebPost:56c72043-f1a0-41ce-b3a7-4cefeab2b3f3">Re: I've got a story I can share</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought SDA didn't celebrate any holidays at all, in any way. Am I confusing them with someone else? 
    Posted by baconsmom[/QUOTE]

<div>JW's don't celebrate anything, maybe you are thinking of them? SDA go to church on the Sabbath (Saturdays). And as far as I can tell, the family celebrates everything. At least according to FB.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Bmom - the mormon's don't celebrate anything - I thought?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mormons celebrate Christmas, Easter, etc.

JW don't do presents/christmas trees/birthday presents/ easter eggs/basically anything fun
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    edited December 2011
    But JW get cool outfits and a backpack-which they get to cart around random neighborhoods. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, that's the Mormons, O. JW go door-to-door, but they do it in a car. No need for a backpack.
  • baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Mormon celebrate. I knew JWs don't, and certain sects of Church of God (H's grandparents don't even do birthdays - only Thanksgiving. They send TGiving cards and stuff. It's weird.). 

Do SDA not do birthdays? Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. 
  • jojobrnjojobrn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ive-got-story-can-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:565cb183-1ad3-49f6-9a65-80e161e7b9ebPost:7a82c8d9-a1d4-4d8b-8d89-c55ab763c91d">Re: I've got a story I can share</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Do SDA not do birthdays? Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. 
    Posted by baconsmom[/QUOTE]

<div>I've birthday party pictures from these folks. Could be certain segments of the church don't though, I cannot claim to be a SDA expert by any stretch of the imagination.</div>
  • MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was how the PPP is with Shrimp Cocktail.

Also, I'm picturing these people like this:
  • TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can someone tell me why anyone would want to join a religion where you can't do anything fun? At least Catholics drink on Sundays and and have holidays that involve presents.

But honestly, these kids will just grow up thinking that reenacting the crucifixion with paper dolls is normal. It's not even necessarily worse than the living stations of the cross. The treat thing is weird and hypocritical and judgeworthy, but there are probably many other things that will land those kids in therapy before this.
    edited December 2011
    Obviously we all need a Religion course.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

If they are going to do it they should do it right- Get a real doll and cross!

House of Jacob celebrates things, but on different days.  I loved my counterpart being HoJ- I'd cover his holidays and he'd cover mine.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never seen someone stay in the faith that grew up JW. Not only that, but they were all super depressed about dying, as their church had already let them know they'd be staying on earth/rotting in the ground

Who says that to a child?

"Daddy, what will happen when I die?"

"Well, you're not good enough so you're going to rot in the ground. If you try real hard though maybe you can hang out on earth after Jesus returns though."

"But what if Jesus doesn't return for a long time after I die?"

"You will rot in the ground"
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    You know, just this morning DH was telling me how his great-grandfather wouldn't play Monopoly with him because dice were supposedly "of the devil."  People believe some really off the wall things sometimes.  Gambling, I could see (though I disagree), but Monopoly?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not me. I'm perfect and know everything :P

PS my dealings with JWs (I was close enough to) is limited to the JW community I associated with years ago, who all seemed like cult members. Maybe not all JW are like that, but the ones I knew were.

Also, my dealings with Mormons (I was close enough to) is limited to crazy people.
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm still befuddled the Amish don't use zippers.
  • jojobrnjojobrn member
    edited December 2011
    I'm not bothered by the JW's here either. Although, I think they need to stop assuming because I live close to the border I must only know Spanish. Vaya con dios though!
    edited December 2011
    Ha!  I less than three you, 6.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ive-got-story-can-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:565cb183-1ad3-49f6-9a65-80e161e7b9ebPost:960494bc-71e4-4929-a39c-3efaf34245e7">Re: I've got a story I can share</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, but if you want the freedom to choose your own religion, you have to extend that freedom to others, whether you agree with them or not. 
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Fine, but don't fck up your children because you're a loon.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_ive-got-story-can-share?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:565cb183-1ad3-49f6-9a65-80e161e7b9ebPost:960494bc-71e4-4929-a39c-3efaf34245e7">Re: I've got a story I can share</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry, but if you want the freedom to choose your own religion, you have to extend that freedom to others, whether you agree with them or not. 
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

WTF? No one has said that anyone needs to convert from one religion to another. If you'd read you'd have seen that one of us said we need a religion class to learn about other religions which we aren't familiar with and someone else agreed.
    "I would be sad if sex was only about the climax, lame." Someone who is obviously doing it wrong
    Photobucket
  • filleyfilley member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I grew up SDA, and that's not normal.  My parents explained Jewish Passover, the events surrounding Jesus' death, and the pagan origins of modern Easter celebrations, but we definitely didn't reinact the Crucifiction.  We had fun coloring eggs and eating candy.  I think your cousin's family may just be on the lunatic fringe of the church.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards