Texas-Austin
Options

Cedar Bend Event Center vs LBJ Wildflower Center??

Hey ladies,

Fiance and I have been looking at the LBJ wildflower center for a while and are (were??) pretty much ready to put our deposit down...but now future hubby (who is the one handling the $$, since i'm still in school) is worried that it will be too expensive, since the venue doesn't include tables, chairs, etc....and we'd need to get our own liability insurance, plus whatever other costs we may incur since its not a site that specifically caters to weddings.

Now we have started looking at Cedar Bend Event Center, which for our preferred day is about $1000 cheaper AND includes tables and chairs (we'd still need to rent linens/china)...but I guess I had my heart set on the wildflower center, since he originally said we could totally afford it.

Well, he saw how disappointed I was and is willing to put in OT at work to make up the difference so we can get the venue of our dreams (he is in love with it too)...but I guess my question is....is it worth it?

Have any of you ladies "settled" on a cheaper venue and regretted it??

Also, any reviews / thoughts on Cedar Bend? I know they are relatively new, but I can't find much info on them.

Sorry for the novel...but i'd appreciate input!

Re: Cedar Bend Event Center vs LBJ Wildflower Center??

• Options
    Hi there! I'm not a bride but I often visit the Wildflower Center (I live nearby and they're free to visit in January) plus I helped second shoot a wedding at Cedar Bend.

IMO, the main difference would be the difference in the feel of the location. Cedar Bend is more open, they have a lovely backdrop that serves as an altar area for a wedding and the house has a lot of room for getting dressed. The drive there is on highway 71 which is pretty and woody. Once you get off the highway, you have to be watchful but there are signs posted IIRC.

Wildflower Center is a very different events venue. It's got a more formal feel. It's my understanding that you have to use their preferred catering vendors there, too. I think WC looks so pretty no matter what time of year, but I love the look of bare trees. Also the architecture there is so unique. It's very easy to find this venue from the airport.

Either of those places are going to be beautiful. CB seems less likely to run out of space depending on how many guests you expect. If location is an issue, both are 30-40 minutes' drive from the airport, depending on traffic and there are hotels about the same amount of drive time or less. Parking isn't an issue in either place. 

I think you'll want to decide based on the feel you'd like in your photos...that's what you'll have left when all is said and done, after all :) Both places have existing lights for when it gets dark if you have a night-time reception though leaving CB might be trickier in the dark. 
    phisch (@) gmail (.) com
  • Options
    Hi there! I'm not a bride but I often visit the Wildflower Center (I live nearby and they're free to visit in January) plus I helped second shoot a wedding at Cedar Bend.

IMO, the main difference would be the difference in the feel of the location. Cedar Bend is more open, they have a lovely backdrop that serves as an altar area for a wedding and the house has a lot of room for getting dressed. The drive there is on highway 71 which is pretty and woody. Once you get off the highway, you have to be watchful but there are signs posted IIRC.

Wildflower Center is a very different events venue. It's got a more formal feel. It's my understanding that you have to use their preferred catering vendors there, too. I think WC looks so pretty no matter what time of year, but I love the look of bare trees. Also the architecture there is so unique. It's very easy to find this venue from the airport.

Either of those places are going to be beautiful. CB seems less likely to run out of space depending on how many guests you expect. If location is an issue, both are 30-40 minutes' drive from the airport, depending on traffic and there are hotels about the same amount of drive time or less. Parking isn't an issue in either place. 

I think you'll want to decide based on the feel you'd like in your photos...that's what you'll have left when all is said and done, after all :) Both places have existing lights for when it gets dark if you have a night-time reception though leaving CB might be trickier in the dark. 
    phisch (@) gmail (.) com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards