Christian Weddings

Christian Survey-Cause I'm bored at work

Please answer only if you feel comfortable. I just love to hear these stories.

1. How old were you when you gave your life to Christ? 22

2. Were you baptized/ at what age? Yes, 24

3. Who/what lead you to learn who God is? My friend brought me to church when I was 19 and the spark was lit. It look a few years of attending church and small groups to understand the concept of God and His will before I could give my life to Him.

4. Do you and your DH/FI/BF share in any fellowship/ministry/prayer/Bible study together? FI and I attend church together and we always make sure we hold hands and pray together at least once a day. We always report back answered prayers and praise reports.

5. Do you have special gifts/talents that you know God gave you and you use for His glory? After I was baptized, I was SO SO excited about God, to get into my faith and understanding of him and I wanted to just share Him with everyone. This is when I started to understand the gift of evangelism. I also have an unending/unwavering amount of patience for children. I try to use this by volunteering to teach Sunday school or do VBS.

6. Anything else you wanna add/share? Although I completely love to spend time in worship and prayer with FI, I have always noticed in myself that I just completely love having Christian women as a support for me. I joined a women's small group in the beginning of my walk with Christ and they were amazing in helping me grow and learn so much. And I am thankful for all of you women who act in the same manner.
There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Christian Survey-Cause I'm bored at work

• yodacubyodacub member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    1. How old were you when you gave your life to Christ?

I grew up in a Christian home, I don't have a specific moment that I can point to.  I've always loved Jesus.

2. Were you baptized/ at what age?

Yes, when I was a baby.  I made profession of faith at 16, it was important to me for me to be able to drive myself to and from the classes at church, it made it feel like my own decision and responsibility.

3. Who/what lead you to learn who God is?
    LIke I said, I grew up in a Christian home and went to Christian schools my whole life.  I've been very blessed with parents, grandparents, and many teachers who have showed me what it means to love God with all your heart, soul, mind and stregnth.

4. Do you and your DH/FI/BF share in any fellowship/ministry/prayer/Bible study together?

FI and I attend church together whenever possible, we live over an hour apart but it's very rare that we aren't in the same church on Sunday morning, whether it's his or mine.  After we get married we are planning on finding our own church rather than joining the one his parents go to, finding a church home that fits us is important.  We hope to joing a Bible study too.  We also try to read the Bible together, although we've fallen out of that habit, we should pick it  back up.

5. Do you have special gifts/talents that you know God gave you and you use for His glory?
    I play the flute, playing in church is one of the blessings in my life, although I only do it a few times a year.  I'm a scientist, it's a passion of mine to talk to people about God and science and how there is actually no conflict.  Interestingly, I often get a harsher response from Christans rather than scientists - my coworkers are open to at least listening.  FI has the gift of encouragement and has this amazing sense of what people are feeling and is open to being led by the Spirit with what to say.

6. Anything else you wanna add/share?
    I've grown a lot spiritually in graduate school being able to fellowship and have Bible study with fellow grad students.  I've been in a different Bible study every year, and they have all blessed me more than I can say. 
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. How old were you when you gave your life to Christ? The first time I was 6. I don't think I understood that my life really needed to change. At 14, I made a commitment and I've stuck to that ever since.

2. Were you baptized/ at what age? Yes, age 15.

3. Who/what lead you to learn who God is? I grew up going to church, but it wasn't until youth group that I really began to grasp and understand things. I had an amazing youth pastor who later became the pastor of our church. After leaving for college, I got involved with an amazing Christian fellowship called Chi Alpha and I have been challenged and grown soo much.

4. Do you and your DH/FI/BF share in any fellowship/ministry/prayer/Bible study together? FI and I attend church and a bible study together now that we're both in the same area. We pray together over the phone (or in person) most nights.

5. Do you have special gifts/talents that you know God gave you and you use for His glory? Conversational evangelism is one of them. God's given me so many opportunities to share Him with other people. It's fantastic.

6. Anything else you wanna add/share? God has really broken my heart for the lost. And I'm so thankful He did.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    1. How old were you when you gave your life to Christ? I grew up in a Christian home so there is no specific time.

Yes.  I have been baptized twice, once when I was 12.  And again at 15(Which is when I stared getting involved in the church so I consider that my real baptism.)

3. Who/what lead you to learn who God is? Between my mother and the church I have learned and am still learning who God is.

4. Do you and your DH/FI/BF share in any fellowship/ministry/prayer/Bible study together?
    BF and I go to church together.  We both serve the church, I sing in the choir and he serves in the alter.  We have also have attended a youth conference together.  I have also led a child’s bible study.

5. Do you have special gifts/talents that you know God gave you and you use for His glory? I can sing.  I use that for the enjoyment of the congregation and the glory of God.

6. Anything else you wanna add/share? This is fun.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• edited December 2011
    1. How old were you when you gave your life to Christ? Verbally, as a  child, but it wasn't until later in high school after some rather rough patches God really revealed himself. I had been playing the Christian game for years and years and it wasn't until then that God smacked me around and showed me that he wasn't a scorekeeper, he was my greatest lover. 

Yes, in my early teens at the YMCA pool. As soon as the prayer was done I went own the waterslide.

3. Who/what lead you to learn who God is? Well, I grew up in a Christian home, I attended a Christian University, have worked in ministry for 5 years and I get PAID to show people who God is, but I'm still figuring it out. Everytime I think I have him pegged he goes and blows my mind again!

We attend church together, he was great enough to follow me when my job called us away from our church home. We don't do Bible Study or regular prayer time together. For me, it's too intimate. I don't think I want to really share those times until after we're married. We share what's going on in our spiritual walk and pray together before big meetings or decisions, but for the most part our walk will stay seperate until we're married.

5. Do you have special gifts/talents that you know God gave you and you use for His glory? I'm a speaker and a leader. I have a passion for teenagers and seeing them experience the love of Christ. 

6. Anything else you wanna add/share? Hmm, I'm not sure. One spiritual thing FI and I did together was we fasted from each other for a month. No talking, texting, nada for a whole month. We just spoke to mentors and tried to seek God's will if we should pursue this relationship. It was SO hard, but so worth it. 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • edited December 2011
    1. How old were you when you gave your life to Christ? I grew up in a Christian home as well, so I have always believed, had faith, prayed, etc. But I really re-committed myself to living as God intended and striving to do everything for Jesus about a year or 2 ago. 

2. Were you baptized/ at what age? Yes, when I was a baby. I'd like to do it again someday, just as a profession of my faith. 

3. Who/what lead you to learn who God is? My parents read a kid's Bible with me before bed when I was little and they taught me to pray every night. Of course, Sunday school as a child, church, etc. And then later, I REALLY learned more through books like The Purpose Driven Life, devotionals and the Bible. And through a friend and some other people. 

4. Do you and your DH/FI/BF share in any fellowship/ministry/prayer/Bible study together? H and I go to church every week. Before church each week is Bible study at church. This summer, we have been going to Praise at the Pavilion at our church on Sunday nights, which I organized this year. We read the Bible everyday as part of the Year of the Bible. Sometimes we read it on our own and sometimes we read it together. We also read a Christian Marriage prep book from time to time. And we pray together before we eat, before bed and sometimes other times if we feel compelled to. 

5. Do you have special gifts/talents that you know God gave you and you use for His glory? I sing in the worship team at church and also in a local Christian band. So I guess my gift is singing for Him. I also help out where needed in church. 

6. Anything else you wanna add/share? I love the Lord with everything in me and H and I are still working on living for Him. Sometimes it's hard to remember how He would handle situations, but we always try to remind ourselves what He would do. We still have a long way to go and always will, but we love Him and trust in Him. I have Proverbs 3:5 tattooed on the back of my shoulder. I don't have the verse written out, it just says "Proverbs 3:5". Which is cool because then I can share what it means when people ask me. 
  • ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. How old were you when you gave your life to Christ? 19

2. Were you baptized/ at what age? Hopefully 26.  I wanted to get baptized when I lived in NC, but I never really found a home church there.  We found a church we like here, so I'm going to email the minister soon.

3. Who/what lead you to learn who God is? I went to Sunday school and vacation Bible school when I was growing up, but I didn't really get it yet.  One of the girls who lived on my hall freshman year really led the way for me.

4. Do you and your DH/FI/BF share in any fellowship/ministry/prayer/Bible study together?  We've found a church to attend, and we pray over dinner together.  The church doesn't have regular Sunday school classes in the summer, so we won't start that until September. 

5. Do you have special gifts/talents that you know God gave you and you use for His glory?  This is a hard one.  I have a hard time recognizing my strengths.

6. Anything else you wanna add/share?  I like surveys.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

I was 15-- May 24, 2002.  I was raised in a conservative evangelical home and went to church every tie the doors  were open, but I never realized how disgusting my sin was to God.  I was at an FFH concert with one of my best friends and repented that night.

I was baptized on February 29, 2004-- I was 16, almost 17.  I should have done it right after I was saved.  Obeying God by following Christ in Believer's Baptism was so...freeing.  It truly gave me a sense of peace and understanding as I was discerning God's will for my life.

I was raised in a Conservative Southern Baptist church and home...I've been in church since mom was pregnant with me.  My parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents all went to the same church.  So many pastors, Sunday School teachers, VBS leaders, and choir directors were responsible for my spiritual education.

DH is a Youth Pastor and I help with some of the youth events.  We pray together when we wake up, and he prays at meals and before we go to sleep. 

5. Do you have special gifts/talents that you know God gave you and you use for His glory?

My spiritual gifts are teaching and administration.  I absolutely LOVE pouring what God has done in my life into my "little" brothers and sisters in Christ.
    Administration is both a gift and a curse...I help DH stay organized with the paperwork side of youth ministry, but I'm such a freaking perfectionist.

The most important thing about Christianity and the Church is that you are never done teaching and you are never done learning.  I was taught that everyone should have a Paul--someone who is more spiritual mature than you-- who can disciple you, a Barnabas-- someone who is at about the same level of spiritual maturity as you-- so you can have an accountability partner, and a Timothy-- someone who is spirtually "younger" than you that you can teach and disciple.

I was also taught that if you lead someone to Christ and then don't disciple them (or make sure they're being reached out to for discipleship if the new Christian doesn't live near you), you're committing spiritual child abuse.  That really opened my eyes to how important it is that we train up young believers.  We can't let Christians walk around thinking they just have fire insurance and nothing more...God's amazing design for the Christian life is beautiful if you'll just let yourself live it.
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. How old were you when you gave your life to Christ? 16, but I re-dedicated myself when I was 24

2. Were you baptized/ at what age? Yes, as an infant

3. Who/what lead you to learn who God is? I grew up attending church with my family, but I feel that the pastor who married (and introduced) me to DH was the one who taught me what it *truly* means to be a Christian.

4. Do you and your DH/FI/BF share in any fellowship/ministry/prayer/Bible study together? We attend church together, and pray with each other everyday. We also spend the drive to church on Sundays singing praise songs together.

He gave me musical gifts for singing and dancing. I have used them in the past with sacred dance, and singing on the worship team at my former church. I'm also trying to get more involved musically in my current church. These gifts are amazing considering I am half deaf and shouldn't be able to be as musical as I am.

6. Anything else you wanna add/share? I sometimes find it difficult to share my faith with other people because I came to Christ (the first time) at a very low point in my life. Many of the Baptist conversions that I see are so full of excitement and joy and the new Christians want to just share everything with everyone. I love that about them, but that's not my story. I just want to encourage anyone who has a "sadder" conversion story to be encouraging to others when you see them struggling. And don't be afraid to share the bad and the ugly along with the good. You never know who needs to hear it both ways. :) (Sorry if that made no sense. :P)
  • BronwynHBronwynH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was 6 when I first was saved, but I really gave my life over to Christ and understood it when I was 14.

When I was 6

I grew up in church and I attended a Christian school from 4th to 12th grade. I would say that I learned alot more at school than at church. One of my teachers and the football coach at my high school is actually the one who will be marrying us. I find that I just keep learning more about who God is though.

We used to read the Bible together and pray every night. We stopped doing that, but are going to start again.

I know that God has given me a love of Latin American culture, the Spanish language and travel for a reason. Learning Spanish came really easily to me and I know that was from God. I also really love leading worship and have been doing that in different settings for a few years now.

Emily - I totally agree with everything you said here
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. How old were you when you gave your life to Christ? I was blessed to be raised in a Christian home, and was 4 when I made the decision to ask God into my heart. Although, when I got a little older, I wasn't sure if that counted since I was so young so I talked to God about it and re-asked Him just to make sure :-P

2. Were you baptized/ at what age? Yes, when I was 17

It was all around me... I went to church every Sunday with my parents, to Christian camp in the summer, and was enrolled in a private Christian school.

4. Do you and your DH/FI/BF share in any fellowship/ministry/prayer/Bible study together? No, but one of my good friends has been organizing a weekly Bible study for younger couples that we want to start going to.

5. Do you have special gifts/talents that you know God gave you and you use for His glory? I have a huge heart, and believe I can be a prayer warrior. I keep many in my daily thoughts and prayers, also I believe that some day I can use my testimony of what I've been through (my years of backsliding in college) for younger Christians. 

6. Anything else you wanna add/share? I've really been missing the camp I grew up going to and it's been heavy on my heart to return there. It's just hard when I work full time and live in FL and it's up in  NH. I told DH that we're definitely sending our kids there!
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. How old were you when you gave your life to Christ? I was very young and don't really remember.  I can't remember a time in my life when Christ wasn't my priority.  I feel very blessed to have always known him.

2. Were you baptized/ at what age? I think I was 8 or 9

3. Who/what lead you to learn who God is? My parents were both Christians so I was raised in a Christian home.  I've also had several adults in my life who have had a positive influence on my spiritual development.

4. Do you and your DH/FI/BF share in any fellowship/ministry/prayer/Bible study together?  We attend small group and church together.  We also were doing devotions together after dinner but our dinner schedule has been off this summer.  We need to get back to it.

5. Do you have special gifts/talents that you know God gave you and you use for His glory?   I think I have the gift of encouragement so I try to use that.  I also have the gift of teaching and am not currently using it.  I need to pray about that.

6. Anything else you wanna add/share?  I have been blessed by this fellowship of believers on this board.  I know it has been said before, but I'll say it again.  I appreciate this board and the ladies here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards