Offbeat Weddings

Theme confusion! Help!?

Okay. Here's the deal. He's from Seattle. I'm from New Mexico. We met/got engaged in Texas. I want to encorporate both of us. I've always wanted a fall/rustic wedding, but now I'm thinking I want a wedding that incorporates aspects of both of us. I want it quirky and neat and cute. But I don't want it to be so random that it looks thrown together without any coordination. Any ideas? I want to incorporate coffee. And I am wearing a flower crown. I want lace. I was thinking maybe knick knacks, like as if you walked into an atic and it was all that random, old cool things. But I don't know. Any advice??? 

Re: Theme confusion! Help!?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_theme-confusion-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:9817c401-a2a7-4c1c-ac41-b3522b3b7a3dPost:758fa031-4707-44a1-82c0-f8e88aa8f6f9">Theme confusion! Help!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay. Here's the deal. He's from Seattle. I'm from New Mexico. We met/got engaged in Texas. I want to encorporate both of us. I've always wanted a fall/rustic wedding, but now I'm thinking I want a wedding that incorporates aspects of both of us. I want it quirky and neat and cute. But I don't want it to be so random that it looks thrown together without any coordination. Any ideas? I want to incorporate coffee. And I am wearing a flower crown. I want lace. I was thinking maybe knick knacks, like as if you walked into an atic and it was all that random, old cool things. But I don't know. Any advice??? 
    Posted by DandeeRandee[/QUOTE]

So your theme is vintage floral charmer.  You would have lace wrapped mason jars filled with asters and mums (fall flowers) perched next to a vintage coffee grinder or column vases filled with a pillar candle and coffee beans on an antique lace runner.  Place two of three vases on some stacked books.  You could incorporate the rusted metal artwork or punched tin that you see is some parts of Texas.   With a vintage theme, you can use a variety of different centerpieces. 
  • I love the idea of the vintage floral charmer!  You could also use coffee beans as a favor or chocolate covered coffee beans.  If you want to make things more personal you can always add pictures throughout your wedding or cute stories of the two of you.  There are always ways of making things come together through colors, picture effects, or even distressing things.
  • What if you had a coffee bar setup? You could serve coffee, hot chocolate, hot tea, hot apple cider, and have some special toppings like marshmallows, sprinkles, vanilla & caramel syrup, etc. I would probably try to have a bartender handle this, but you could probably get away with just setting it up on an old, vintage dresser similar to a lemonade stand although it might get messy.

Picture idea inspiration for coffee stand: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-gTS8xIZYahA/TXR7RH2rUyI/AAAAAAAABPQ/ihE9_Jqv-g8/wedding_lemonade_stand.png

Color scheme-wise I picture this type of wedding to have:
    • coffee bean brown, (probably a rich mocha)
    • burlap natural beige/cream
    • floral green (normal plant green, not lime green)
    • faded teal or powder blues

Centerpiece ideas: I second the use of stacking mason jars or old tin watering cans on top of books; don't forget the wild flowers!

• I've always planned on the vintage theme. I had in mind the mason jars, wild flowers, distressed furniture, barrels, burlap, cowboy boots, pearls.... But that's very me. He's not all that vintage and that's where I'm running into the problem. :
  • So what type of style/theme does he want? I hope that didn't sound snarky, I just honestly was asking so we could keep offering ideas.
  • Ididnt think it was snarky! Haha! Well.... He doesn't know. He says he's happy with whatever I do. Bah. So I asked him a crap ton of things and styles he likes. So, he likes: technology, coffee, Seattle, dark woods, Christmas, fun music, leather, blue and green Elle seahawks :p, nice suits, football, soccer, baseball.... And I like things like red, yellow, orange, lace, bicycles, bubbles, antiques, Halloween, pumpkin food, bright colored things, records, lipstick, hunting, fishing.... We're pretty much opposites. That's why I am having such a problem!! Things that are special in our relationship: tapes, egg nog originally i wanted to toast with egg nog, certain songs, sticky notes... It's just a mess :p
  • You two sound very cute! That gives us a lot of inspiration to work from. Sorry for so many questions, but what type of venue have you guys selected? Will this be in a barn in West Texas or an indoor event space in Seattle?

Ideas:

The sticky notes could work amazingly for a variety of projects:
    •  If you're crafty I think you could make a cool guest book out of poster board; cut it in the shape of a cassette tape or let it be abstract with just color, then let guests fill it in with sticky note well wishes and congratulations. Since it's on poster board you can then frame it and hang it in your house.
    • You could also use the idea for decorations where you cover things in certain color sticky notes.
    • You could fancy up the sticky note by putting it in a small frame; you could write quotes on them or fun facts about the two of you, place three framed sticky notes in the center of the table for your guests to enjoy.

Favors could include:
    • a mix cd shaped like a mini record filled with some of your favorite songs.
    • chocolate coffee beans
    • take home bags of coffee
    • pumpkin bread

Color scheme ideas:
    • dark brown, navy, orange with pops of white/cream, yellow and red (rustic dark woods, navy suits, crisp white shirts with orange ties; navy bridesmaid dresses with orange, red, yellow flowers; pumpkins
    • Teal/light blue, gray, and yellow: grey suits, blue dresses, yellow flowers
    • green, blue, and pops of red

People could blow bubbles when you leave. Sorry for all the ideas hopefully we'll find something that makes you both happy.

• In Response to Re: Theme confusion! Help!?:

No! I'm so fine with questions, haha! We're looking to get married in either New Mexico or Texas. Right now we live in Texas. 

I loved the sticky note idea!!! Also the navy with the orange sounds beeeeautiful. Great thinkin'! The reason this has been so frustrating is because I had the theme COMPLETELY thought out but then I looked at it and realized it didn't speak about US, it spoke about ME and I didn't want that. 

The venues I've looked at so far are ranch type places. I want to get married outside and I'd really like it to be October or November. What I'm afraid of is having all of these cute ideas, but none of them running together. 
  • It's definitely hard to find the right balance of things that represent both of you without going too gimmicky/themey but I have no doubt your wedding ideas will come together nicely.

If you have the reception outside you could line the aisle/chair rows with pumpkins. Some places don't allow chairs so you could do hay bales with blankets and then pumpkins on the side as well. Here's some fun pumpkin ideas; I think the pumpkin drink coolers are an interesting idea:
    http://www.weddingwindow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Fall_InspiraionBoard1.jpg

You mentioned your fiance is into technology so finding a way to incorporate that might be a fun way to add more of your fiance to the wedding. Is he into cameras? Perhaps you guys could use old cameras for possible centerpiece ideas, (although be prepared for people to potentially try and take them home at the end of the night), or set up a photobooth? It's not the most exciting bit of technology but they do make submersible LED lights for water centerpieces; you could get large vases with different colored lights at the tables. If you decide to have a groom's cake you could really go crazy with that; cake shaped like a smart phone, video game references, something after his favorite sport or team. Guys seem to get excited about helping with the food and music, so he'll probably have lots of suggestions and input for those!

I think navy and orange would look beautiful with an outdoor ranch wedding, and maybe you'll be able to get some shots like this:
    http://www.myglassslipper.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Fall-Wedding-via-TheWeddingTheater.jpg
  • Thought this may be a cute idea for you to try and bring some things together for your theme!

http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/38338/detailview.aspx?id=38338&type=3&wedding+details=ceremony+decor&pageIndex=1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards