Getting in Shape
Options

Need to lose 50!

I need to lose at least 50 lbs. My wedding is in about 11 months! Is this realistic? I cannot get motivated!! HELP ME PLEASE :(
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need to lose 50!

• Options
    If you work hard, it is possible.  A good diet and regular exercise should certainly put you in the right direction.
    Sign up for SparkPeople or MyFitnessPal and track what you're eating now to figure out where you can make some healthy changes, and how many calories you'll need to consume.  The girls here have some great suggestions for workout ideas, healthy snacks, and yummy recipes.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Lobsters is dead right.

I'm at 55lbs lost since June 10th, so I assure you it can be done and even with enough time for dress alterations.  It has not been easy.  You are going to need to be very dedicated, track every bite that goes into your mouth, and keep your eye on the goal.  That being said, it's not all bad/hard either.  i still eat cookies, cake, burgers, and pizza.  I've just learned moderation and how to work those foods into a healthy and sustainable lifestyle.

As for motivation, only YOU can truly motivate yourself.  I can't tell you what will do it for you.  Do you need people to yell at you, "DON"T BE FAT!", "GET OFF YOUR BUTT!"?  Will looking at success stories from other people make you think "hey, i can do this too!".  Heck, maybe you're the sort who needs to set up a rewards system.  A special treat like a manicure or new earring whenever you hit a weight milestone.  In the end.  Just do it.  If you really want to succeed, you'll make it happen.

If you need any advice, feel free to give me a shout!
  • Options
    I am in your exact same situation! i have dieted so much but i always lose my self dicipline. its so hard to do it alone too! exercising and diets are so much easier when you have a buddy. i just cant seem to find one. if you find something that helps motivate/dicipline you.. please please please share ♥
  • Options
    I'm find myself in the same situation. It is very hard to do it alone. My wedding is October 2013 and I want to lose 40-50lbs.  My fiance and I have bad habits and I CANNOT motivate him AT ALL. He wants to lose weight too but doesn't want to put in the work to do it. I find it difficult because when I work hard at losing weight... it's soo easy to fall off the band wagon when I see him eating something delicious or see him sitting while I'm about to go to the gym or work out at home. I need to just motivate myself and ignore his bad habits but it's hard.
    Did you get your dress yet? Do you have a picture of it? Maybe post a picture of the dress somewhere you look everyday. I just started looking into photography for my wedding and I'm really into photo journalism so that is what is starting to motivate me. The thought of sooo many pictures being taken that day and from different angles is just freaking me out! They are not all taken from the "good side".  Basically what I am saying is... find SOMETHING to motivate you to lose the weight for yourself.  Just think from there... it's all about executing.
    GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    Anna... Congratulations! How did you lose all that weight??
  • Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-to-lose-50?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:ef866192-ff0b-477f-baa6-59b8e8218855Post:df20151f-7485-4d42-8309-3ce269a53b5e">Re: Need to lose 50!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna... Congratulations! How did you lose all that weight??
    Posted by dbabes18[/QUOTE]

<div>How I did it is actually quite simple (in principle) but it took breaking a lot of bad habits and forming new ones to get here.  Here are the basics (I blogged about the whole experience too and the link to that is in my signature below)</div><div>
    </div><div>*Get the crap out of the house.  If you have chips in your cupboard 24/7, someone is going to eat them.  If you have frozen processed lunches, it's too easy to grab that.  Remove the ease of access to things.  Example:  i love cake and ice cream.  i never have it in the house any more.  If i want it, I have to debate whether it is worth it to go spend the money, get dressed, take the time to drive to a restaurant type place to get it.  50% of the time it's not so I can avoid it.  The other 50% of the time, I go and enjoy myself.</div><div>
    </div><div>*Don't lose your favorite foods.  Find healthier alternatives.  For ice cream, there is a frozen yogurt place that has some fat-free and sugar-free choices plus toppings.  I'm going there tonight because their new flavor is "cheesecake".  I'll top it with fresh fruit or even cocoa roasted almonds.  Not only is it not bad for me.. it's actually good for me.  Pizza is a greasy yet flavorful diet killer if you overdo it regularly.  But there are DIY pizza recipes that are delicious and nutritious.  (fyi: turkey pepperoni is just as tasty as regular and WAY better for you)</div><div>
    </div><div>*Track your food.  All of it.  Everything you put into your mouth has a potential to impact your health.  Hop on a site like SparkPeople.com (it's free and has apps) and you will soon be able to see exactly where your food problems are.  Previous to doing that i was actually an under-eater.  Years of dieting had me slowly reducing my intake until I barely topped 900 calories most days.  I think my first week i tracked a 650 cal day.  Because of that, my body was in starvation mode and holding onto every darn bit of fat it could as a self-preservation technique.</div><div>
    </div><div>*Start an exercise routine.  It doesn't need to be something huge like taking on the p90x dvd program or running a marathon.  Just get moving.  Even a daily walk with a H/FI can start improving your health.  One of my favorite exercises is playing "chase the kittens"  it's like hide-and-seek but at high speeds all over the house.  20 minutes of that and you feel like you've worked out.</div><div>
    </div><div>*Set realistic healthy goals but set some superficial ones too.  My goal is to not be the fat mom some day.  When we have kids, I don't want to be too tired to play, I don't want to be an embarrassment to them as teenagers, and I want to teach them how to have a healthy lifestyle so they never have to struggle with this like i have since I was young.  I want to go to the doctor for a yearly physical and just once to be not reminded that I really should lose weight. Side goals: i want to look hot.  I want to walk into stores and not have clerks look at me with that "we only carry normal sizes" pity.  I want to like who I see in the mirror.  i want to wear a bikini in public without feeling like I should wear shorts and a t-shirt over it to not offend people with my blubber.  I want to wear cute flowy dresses and shirts without worrying that it could make me look pregnant.</div><div>
    </div><div>*Eat your veggies.  Your body needs vitamins.  Veggies and fruits are SO good for you.  If you don't like the taste (like my H didn't) there are tons of ways to prepare them and sneak them in that are delicious.</div><div>
    </div><div>*Eat breakfast.  I feel like my body doesn't get revved up until I eat something.  Even if it's just a single cheese because I'm not hungry when I first wake up, that wakes up my system.  I feel like it's led to a more efficient body for me.</div><div>
    </div><div>*Meal planning:  It's not only good for your wallet (helps avoid impulse buys) but it also allows you to make sure you always have healthy food on hand.  I have no "convenience" food in my house.  But i could whip up a dinner right now with only 10 minutes warning because after i shop I come home and do the whole week's meal prep (what I can anyway) and packages everything in little containers.  I have single servings of cheese and meat cubes, cottage cheese, sugar free jello, sugar free pudding, beef jerky, cut veggies and dip.  All of those are free snacks.  If I'm hungry, I eat.  I also portion out things that I'll need for various dinners and cook things like boiled eggs, mini egg bakes for breakfasts, and chicken breasts that all make for easy and quick snacks and salad additions.</div><div>
    </div><div>*Eat:  getting yourself a healthy diet should not involve suffering needlessly.  If you are hungry, eat.  just stay away from crap foods.  I had heard it before and didn't quite believe it, but crappy food makes you want more crappy food.  A little handful of chips can quickly become half a bag (pop chips are a delicious and healthier alternative)  whereas healthy things seem to satiate me better.  plus, there is no guilt.  If i want more watermelon, cheese, or whatever... I eat it.</div><div>
    </div><div>*Don't be lazy:  it's SO easy to just say I'll do it later, I'll start tomorrow, or just to keep doing what you've always done.  But we're on a weight loss and fitness board... obviously it hasn't worked.  Sure, maybe someone once lost 40lbs on WW or "dieted" their way to 15 lbs last year.  But if you're here and overweight, regardless of past losses, you're doing it wrong.  The real goal is to get to a weight that's healthy and to maintain it.  Without having to obsess over it.  You want a healthy lifestyle.  Everyone does.  I know I'd like to never count calories or debate over whether I really need a second helping of mashed potatoes and gravy.  It should be intuitive.  I think once I know what all foods are worth to my body completely and totally without thinking, can eat pizza without worrying about the scale, then I think I'll have truly made it.  Because then my lifestyle will be healthy and complete.</div>
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat and im getting married in exactly 1 yr and just want to lose 50 prior to my special day, but with school, kids, and work i dont have enough time....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-to-lose-50?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:ef866192-ff0b-477f-baa6-59b8e8218855Post:404cef37-e546-45b3-989f-28f3051edcc8">Re: Need to lose 50!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in the same boat and im getting married in exactly 1 yr and just want to lose 50 prior to my special day, but with school, kids, and work i dont have enough time....
    Posted by tashanna7971[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>You do have enough time.  You eat now, right?  So you just eat healthier things in different quantities.  Do you study for school?  Because I do stretching exercises while I do.  Do you play with your kids?  Make it an active game.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you want it, you WILL find time for it.  Lack of time is a poor excuse for most.  Most people just don't want to.  Heck, I use to be one of them.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-to-lose-50?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:ef866192-ff0b-477f-baa6-59b8e8218855Post:1facfe4a-5bd1-43dc-baca-798f3e3b6a79">Re: Need to lose 50!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna, I think that post made me fall a little bit in love with you.  I want to print it out and post it on my fridge and in my cubicle. Or just copy and paste it every time someone asks "how can I lose the weight?"
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

<div>I didn't realize I was typing so much until I hit send.  Wow.  longest post ever for me.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-to-lose-50?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:ef866192-ff0b-477f-baa6-59b8e8218855Post:1facfe4a-5bd1-43dc-baca-798f3e3b6a79">Re: Need to lose 50!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna, I think that post made me fall a little bit in love with you.  I want to print it out and post it on my fridge and in my cubicle. Or just copy and paste it every time someone asks "how can I lose the weight?"
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

This
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Love it Anna!!! I too, do not want to be that fat mom or have my kids develop my bad eating habits....inspired and going on a bike ride since I am sore from yesterdays 30 day shred :) Good luck ladies!
  • Options
    Join the 90 day Body by Vi Challenge.  I lost 6 pounds in my first week.  The shakes by themselves taste like cake mix and are amazing, but can also be mixed with other things to create shakes that taste like apple pie, peanut butter cup, etc.  When compared to other products on the market, Vi shakes are lower in calories and carbs and have no added sugar.  It will taste great and leave you feeling fuller longer.  Check out this website and let me know if you have questions :)

With Body by VI, your goal is definitely possible.

<a href="http://www.myvi.net/marks55" rel="nofollow">www.myvi.net/marks55</a>

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-to-lose-50?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:ef866192-ff0b-477f-baa6-59b8e8218855Post:5cbb08dd-46dd-4bb0-bd55-a6b7d31d2da5">Need to lose 50!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I need to lose at least 50 lbs. My wedding is in about 11 months! Is this realistic? I cannot get motivated!! HELP ME PLEASE :(
    Posted by thebtflbride[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Anna... I THANK U for that response earlier! And I see u reposted it and I wound up reading the repost before this thread. It is DEFINITELY motivating to read! For those of you ladies who like watching you tube videos please look this up for some workout motivation... http://www.youtube.com/watch?vhV63DbQ_qScfeatureyoutube_gdata_player A friend of mine who is a personal trainer sent it to me. I watch it b4 I work out... Very motivating although it is extreme lol.
  • Options
    Best of luck ladies!  It sounds like you are on the right track and have each other to motivate.  I do think it is a good idea to stay connected to people that have the same goals, it is motivating and keeps you accountable.
    I had the most problem AFTER I got married.  I felt I really didn't have the motivation any more without the big event motivating me.  I tried a lot of diet programs but they never really worked for me.  I found that the fillers had me wired or feeling depressed.  I tried a new system and I am seeing results again for the first time in a LONG time.  Check out the all-natural products that are designed to help you on your fitness journey.  The hard work of watching what you eat and exercising is always the key but these tools can help motivate and get you on the track you need to reach the goals you have set!
    https://leachew.myitworks.com/Shop
    I would be happy to talk to you about how I use them and we can discuss your goals and how you can use these tools to reach them!
    Best of luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-to-lose-50?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:ef866192-ff0b-477f-baa6-59b8e8218855Post:5cbb08dd-46dd-4bb0-bd55-a6b7d31d2da5">Need to lose 50!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I need to lose at least 50 lbs. My wedding is in about 11 months! Is this realistic? I cannot get motivated!! HELP ME PLEASE :(
    Posted by thebtflbride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>YES! Say you have 10 months to lose 50..that's 5 pounds a month, between 1-2 pounds a week! </div><div>In reality, if you lose 2 pounds a week, you will lose between 8-10 pounds a month.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Setting a lofty goal of 50 pounds is easier to tackle when you break it down! 

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-to-lose-50?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:ef866192-ff0b-477f-baa6-59b8e8218855Post:a21ad244-582a-4475-a7f7-a6a1bf361e21">Re: Need to lose 50!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Need to lose 50! : YES! Say you have 10 months to lose 50..that's 5 pounds a month, between 1-2 pounds a week!  In reality, if you lose 2 pounds a week, you will lose between 8-10 pounds a month.   Setting a lofty goal of 50 pounds is easier to tackle when you break it down! 
    Posted by mar9706[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>So true! I also need to lose 50 pounds aka  around 25 kgs (i'm a metric girl). It seems so daunting when u think about the figure like that but when i narrow it down to 4kgs a month....not so scary</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards