Latino Weddings

Latin Traditon to Take Maiden Name As Middle?

Hi,
I was talking to my co-worker today and he mentioned that it was latin tradition for a woman to take her maiden last name as her middle name when she is married. Is this true?
Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Latin Traditon to Take Maiden Name As Middle?

• ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, kinda but not really.  I'll explain...

People have two last names - the father's and the mother's:

FirstName MiddleName Father'sLastName Mother'sLastName

Example: Maria Elena Cantu Diaz

If she gets married, she'll lose her mother's last name (Diaz) and replace it with her husband's father's last name.  So if she marries Juan Manolo Soto Rodriguez she'll become:

Maria Elena Cantu de Soto OR Maria Elena Cantu Soto 

(The de means "belonging to" as in Maria Elena Cantu who belongs to Soto.)

Does this make sense?

• jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ExpatPumpkin! You're amazing. You answer my question(s) without my asking. (o: I told FI that he should have a de in his name so I could take it. I may have to take your idea!
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for explaining. I was wondering why I've seen people with long names.
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, makes sense thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The way Expat explains is definitely how most people do it; however, this is another (which is most common among the older generations but is still nice).  Keep your last name and add "de" before his last name.  Here is an example from my family: Bertha Barron de Ramos.  Some of the women in my family do it this way, some do it the other.
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_latin-traditon-maiden-name-middle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:680Discussion:c4305de1-af4d-469b-9401-683c9c06b768Post:9cfdd365-fd74-4ab0-94be-8b63d4c477fc">Re: Latin Traditon to Take Maiden Name As Middle?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The way Expat explains is definitely how most people do it; however, this is another (which is most common among the older generations but is still nice).  Keep your last name and add "de" before his last name.  Here is an example from my family: Bertha Barron de Ramos.  Some of the women in my family do it this way, some do it the other.
    Posted by munkii[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That's  exactly what I described ;)  It's also what I did with my name...</div><div>
    </div><div>If you didn't have two last names to begin with, however, you wouldn't have a second last name to drop.  Since I'm American, I have only one last name (my dad's) so I didn't have to drop anything.  I just added "de Cantu" to the end of my name, the same as your relative, Bertha.</div>
  • splashmadisonsplashmadison member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been wondering how to do this for ages now becuase I have always wanted to change my last name when I married, but my fiance is from Spain and it is not customary here (we live in Spain)!  Now, I see that instead of taking his last name I can just add his last name to mine.  Sounds great!  
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance is from Brasil, his goes, First Name, Mothers Name, Fathers Name....

When we get married I will move my Last name to my middle name (so I will have two middle names) and then take on his last name
  • edited December 2011

Some women keep their maiden name as their middle and add on their husband's. I don't have a traditional middle name like Ana or Maria. I use my mom's maiden name as my middle name, so first name mother's last name father's last name. I will take on H's last name so it will be first name father's last name husband's last name.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_latin-traditon-maiden-name-middle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:c4305de1-af4d-469b-9401-683c9c06b768Post:f8a7dc16-655b-4aef-ad45-29cf31d15e98">Re: Latin Traditon to Take Maiden Name As Middle?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ExpatPumpkin! You're amazing. You answer my question(s) without my asking. (o: I told FI that he should have a de in his name so I could take it. I may have to take your idea!
    Posted by jenandcris[/QUOTE]

He doesn't need a 'de' that is just 'of'. If you are Sara Jones you would just become Sara Jones de(of) Gonzalez.

I already have 2 last names, I want his, I think I am just replacing mine. I don't know. His is shorter and I definately want it.
    *MaryV*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards