Illinois-Chicago
Options

Hair & Makeup Trial Last Week... Didn't go well

I've been completely torn about who to use for my makeup on my wedding day.  I have a hair stylist that I've been going to for 4 years that I love. She also does makeup, but hasn't ever done my makeup.  She does a lot of photo shoots & also does weddings through her salon & on her own.  I thought I'd book a trial to make sure she would be able to do my makeup well.  

When I was at her house, I thought I liked it.  The lighting wasn't very bright in her place though.  After I left & was able to look at myself in better light, I didn't like it at all.  The foundation wasn't very even, my eyeliner was really heavy on top, the colors weren't right... There were a lot of problems.  I had a few friends over that night & they all said they like how I do my own makeup much better.  The idea of doing my own makeup on my wedding day worries me.  I just don't think I want to deal with it incase I'm stressed.  

The hair trial wasn't the greatest either, but I think our concept was a bit off.  I thought the style looked nice. but it wasn't right for my wedding day look.  I'm confident that we can make appropriate changes in the hair style & make it work.  

So... Do I tell her I want to do my own makeup and that I didn't like the way she did it?  What if I end up hiring someone else?  I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I want to look my absolute best.  

I'm including 2 trial pics...

I did my own makeup here...

Inspiration pics...
hair
makeup

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Hair & Makeup Trial Last Week... Didn't go well

• Options
    edited December 2011
    From what I can see in the pics, you look great in all of them!  I think we're always more critical of ourselves and looking at the smallest of details.  If it's in your budget to get someone to do your own make-up, by all means do it.  Is your stylist someone that you can go back to and ask for another trial (whether you have to pay for it or not) and be more specific with her?  If you don't feel comfortable with that, try finding someone else.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay first just a note. The word is Trial not Trail....

I like the way you do your own makeup too. It might not be that bad for you to do it yourself.

Can't you just tell her what you want your makeup to look like. Show her a pic of when you did your own makeup and see if she can immitate it. HTH
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    ladybug7485ladybug7485 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the pic of when you did your own makeup better as well. But I don't really think that the makeup from the trial looks at all like the inspiration pic. Maybe that's what she had trouble with?
    If it's in the budget I would have someone else do your makeup because I wouldn't want to be responsible for it either, even though you do it very well!
    If you can do another trial, it may be a good idea to emphesise that the inspiration pic is more what your looking for. I'm not sure that she stuck to the picture very well.
    Also, if you decide not to go with her for makeup, it may be a little uncomfortable but I wouldn't worry about it. It is a business after all, I would guess that they have to be used to people deciding to go with someone else.
    On the same note, if you are doing on-site hair and makeup, it may be a little weird

EDIT: I'm totally flip-flopping on this post, probably not much help Smile
  • Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't tell from the photo that your make up was streaky. Your hair did look somewhat similar to your inspiration photo. However, the inspiration had a bit more volume and body. Your hair looked so incredibly soft in your photo, I think it looks good. However, if you're not happy you need to say something. Take it from me!

I had my trial and hated it, I thought that she would get it right for our wedding day....well, she didn't! I had bobby pins sticking out of everywhere, my hair was plastered to my head with spray. It was awful! My MUA called in an emergency hair stylist to fix it. I speak from experience that if you don't like your trial you should really speak up. You don't want to get yourself in the situation that I was in.
    As far as your make up, I think that you can definitely say that you want to go with someone else and make up a reason. Like, your friend recommended somenone or that you're going to save money by doing it yourself. Have your friends help you too!
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the way that you did your make-up.  I think you should go with that.  I have been torn as well.  Many people say they like they way I do my own make-up so why get it done.  I am going to go and get eye lashes from Tricoci University as I want my eyes to really stand out.  They are only $7.50 there and I think with that and my own make-up i should be fine.

Many times people get their make-up done on their wedding day and they don't even look like themselves.  I know we all want to look great but the picture of you when you did your own make-up looks great so why change that.

good luck 2 you:)
    Kimmie
  • Options
    tonya07tonya07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the input ladies.  I definitely want to look like myself, just a little more fabulous : )  I'm going to talk to her & see what she says.  I may just do it myself & ask her to help me with lashes &/or touch-ups.  I'm just such a perfectionist, especially with my make-up, that it might be part of the problem.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a little late, but, maybe try doing a trial with someone else. I think you could definitely do it yourself, but I just think professionals have a way of making it look super great in photos, they use longer lasting makeup and sprays to keep it on all night. I don't know, I would look around for someone you do like for both hair and makeup. I just think it will be much less stress that day if you don't have to deal with it yourself.

I also agree that if you want to try it again with her, just tell you the truth. There is no way she can know if you don't tell her, and like someone mentioned, it is a business. I am sure she would rather work on fixing it, than lose your business.

I loved my hair and makeup girls, btw:)! Info in planning, reviews in married bio
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tonya, I think you look fabulous, but my opinion doesn't matter here, it's your wedding day! I totally get it.

I was in the same boat with hair but it wasn't that I didn't like the person, I just didn't like the style. It wasn't me AT ALL...BUT, it was what I asked for, so she was absolutely not at fault. Ultimately, I wound up having my regular hair person do my hair, because she wanted to give me a gift and offered my hair as the gift, so I took advantage of it.

All of my BMs used Holly Kasprisin (the one that did my trial) - and they all LOVED their hair. AND, it lasted all night long. She's meticulous about her work, and it shows! For makeup, I used Sonia Roselli and my BMs used Kimmay Nather. If you look her up in FB, you'll see her work. Steph recommended her to me, and I was soo happy with her!!!

Hope that helps!
    imageimage
    Finally...we are Mr. & Mrs.!!! WooHoo!!!

Planning Bio
    Married Bio (Work In Progress)
  • Options
    pajarito81pajarito81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you look really nice in the trial pics and your own makeup pics. After reading your comments, I was expecting to see a disaster, but it really wasn't bad. I thought the hair was really nice. To me it seemed like your own makeup was a bit more natural side, which is very pretty, and your inspiration pics and trial pics seem to have more dramatic makeup especially in the eyes..hence maybe more eyeliner on her part. If you do your own makeup, I would just make sure you use makeup that is good and made specifically for photos. Some street makeup can make you look washed out in photos. I know from working with a lot of makeup artists' in my industry a lot of them tend to use MAC makeup.

I definitely wouldn't feel bad about using someone else. DOn't spare her feelings on your wedding day! I'm pretty sure she's used to people telling her they don't like her service one time or another. She has to be okay with that. ANd you don't even need to go there..that's what a trial is for. Just say afterall, you will only be needing hair services and maybe just get another mua if you find one you like!  Good luck!
    Mrs. F 9-18-10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards