Getting in Shape
Options

Kind of confused

I tracked my calorie intake and activity.  According to calorie count, I should have had a calorie deficit of 7,916 calories.  That should equal about 2.3 lbs.  Now, I know it's not an exact science.  But I was shocked that I only lost 1 lb.

Does anyone have any explanations?  If I hadn't weighed myself at home this morning and at WW, I would have thought something was wrong with the scale.  

For exercise I did walk/run 2 days
Spinning 1 day
1 day of cardio and weight training DVD
1 day of weight training DVD

Re: Kind of confused

• Options
    Calorie deficit does not equal weight loss pound for pound.  In fact, an extreme calorie deficit will cause your metabolism to go into shut down 'starvation' mode, where your body will hang on to every calorie of intake to handle basic functions like breathing and heartbeat.  Perpetual calorie deficit will cause you to be tired all the time, lose hair, and feel generally crappy as your body struggles to stay alive.  You should be concerned with healthy calorie intake and exercise (more than calorie deficit) to maintain good health.  Are you using daily plate or sparkpeople to track your food and activity?
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    It also has to do with your metabolic rate and the foods you eat.

You could eat some thing like South Beach and have different results than eating high carb, low fat.

Also have your thyroid checked.
  • Options
    I have had my thyroid checked and they say it's fine.

As for tracking, I use caloriecount.about.com and I also track my points on WW.  The reason I use both is because I can't use WW's etools.  I'm not on a low carb diet.  I do make sure that I get 3 servings of dairy, 5 or more fruits and veggies, whole grains, and lean protein.  I also take a multivitamin.  

For exercise, I wear a heart rate monitor that tells me how many calories I burn.  I burned a total of about 2,800 through exercise alone.  

I'm trying to be as healthy as possible.  It just doesn't really make sense for me to have only lost a pound.  It's also not my TOM (sorry if that's TMI) because I know that can cause bloating and weight gain.
  • Options
    I've said this before to others... working out and burining calories is not like lighting a torch to your fat.  Weight loss is not instant, which is exactly why so many people lose motivation, because they don't see instant results.  It seems that you are doing great with your diet and exercise and you are seeing some results.  Its obviously working in some way so keep at it!  You will see your weight drop, or your body lose inches if you keep it up.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_kind-of-confused?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:b474463f-ef9f-49da-a680-cf66d9149b68Post:aff49d02-e228-4619-97c3-20acaf02c13d">Re: Kind of confused</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've said this before to others... working out and burining calories is not like lighting a torch to your fat.  Weight loss is not instant, which is exactly why so many people lose motivation, because they don't see instant results.  It seems that you are doing great with your diet and exercise and you are seeing some results.  Its obviously working in some way so keep at it!  You will see your weight drop, or your body lose inches if you keep it up.
    Posted by miguelhilary2010[/QUOTE]
    Thanks, I'm trying not to be discouraged.  I just kind of felt that I worked hard enough to lose at least 1.5 pounds.  I know some of you girls here know lots of the science behind the weight loss and was looking for some insight.  
  • Options

Don't be discouraged! You said you are following your diet and exercising, including weight lifting, so it is quite possible that you are building muscle.  Muscle weighs more than fat, so sometimes people even see an increase of weight which is normal when you first begin exercise.  It may seem discouraging, but the added muscle helps burn more fat.  Give yourself an opportunity to adjust to the new changes. 

If you find that you still aren't making changes the way you would like after a few more weeks, you may want to consider upping your work out.  But don't let the scale be your only focus, consider your energy level, inches, how you clothes fit, and then the scale.  I wish you the best of luck, and don't give up! 

• Options
    Spinning is touted as the best thing for burning calories, but most people who spin only burn 400-450 calories per hour.  Running burns 600+ calories per hour for those running pretty slowly.

Regardless of calories burned per hour of any workout, 99% of people actually eat more after working out.

Realistically, you need to find an online calorie counter, and estimate what you burn without exercise in a given day. Try to cut 500 calories from that. That alone wil burn a pound a week without factoring in exercise.
  • Options
    Keep going you will see results eventually sometimes it takes a couple of days to show the results from that particular day.  How do I know?  I have experimented with the scale.  If you are not drinking enough water you can also retain fluid which will affect your results as well as eating something with too much sodium.  I increased my water intake and saw a big difference compared too when I didn't drink enough water.  Hang in there. You are doing great!  It happens on Biggest Loser all the time and to me in real life, when I am working hard and doing everything right it seems like I can't seem to lose enough weight.  It doesn't mean that you haven't lost inches. Try on different sizes of clothes or take your measurements to see if you have lost inches.  Seeing the measuring tape go down an inch always makes me feel better.  :) 
  • Options
    Hey, 1lb is still a nice weight loss.  When I was losing, some weeks I didn't lose at all, and the next week I'd lose 3 lbs.  It's not an exact science.  Just keep up doing what you're doing, because it IS working.  You'll get there!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_kind-of-confused?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:b474463f-ef9f-49da-a680-cf66d9149b68Post:2c21e6a8-f55d-437d-8c0d-da372e83b69d">Re: Kind of confused</a>:
    [QUOTE]Spinning is touted as the best thing for burning calories, but most people who spin only burn 400-450 calories per hour.  Running burns 600+ calories per hour for those running pretty slowly. Regardless of calories burned per hour of any workout, 99% of people actually eat more after working out. Realistically, you need to find an online calorie counter, and estimate what you burn without exercise in a given day. Try to cut 500 calories from that. That alone wil burn a pound a week without factoring in exercise.
    Posted by riverjib[/QUOTE]
    The calculator on calorie count says I burn 2500 on the days when I am sedentary.  I eat about 1,800 a day.  
  • Options
    Don't get discouraged!  It sounds like you are active... Maybe try to change up your workout.  Your body may have adjusted to the workouts.  Maybe try another workout or change up your meal plans.  If you are eating 3 times a day, try eating 5 smaller meals throughout the day.  Also try zig zagging your calories... Dont just stay on between caloric intakes... i.e always eat between 1300-1400 calories.  You need to eat a various type of foods and the total amount of calories should change daily. If you plan on working out more, eat more.  If you don't, your body will hold on to the weight for longer. Hope this helps =)
  • Options
    Are you just starting out?  It can take a little while for your body to "clue in" to what you're doing.

Obsessing over the numbers won't help you either.  Anyone that watches The Biggest Loser knows that stress = decreased weight loss.

Keep doing what you're doing, and the weight will come off.  You just have to be patient.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards