Moms and Maids
Options

Bridesmaids all over

Hey, 
I am just kind of disheartened because I am not sure how to pick out bridesmaid dresses. My bridesmaids each live in different states and we cannot get together and go try on dresses. Any suggestions on how to pick out a dress for the bridesmaid? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaids all over

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Give them a color and length and let them choose their own in a style that is flattering to them.  David's Bridal has a great selection of dresses in lots of colors and styles, and they are everywhere.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP.  Give them a color, fabric and length...you can even say "I want you to go to David's Bridal, but you can pick the dress that most flatters you."

This way you know that the colors will all match and your BMs will be happy that they will be able to wear a dress that they are comfortable in.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Do you have any BM that are super tall?  If so, I would be careful, because not all of the DB dresses can come in extra length.  I was in a wedding last summer where I had to wear a full length dress and it was too short.  The bride knew this, but decided it didn't matter.  It did look pretty bad though.  The other issue for a tall person is that the bodices are pretty short at DB, so if you have a tall girl the proportions on the dress don't always look good.  If there are tall girls I would try DB and see if it works, and if not go with a different designer that is fairly low cost (eg Alfred Angelo or Alfred Sung are just a couple of suggestions).

If you don't have tall BM than you should be fine at Davids.  Best of luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
    168image Are Invited to celebrate with the Newlyweds!
    79image Will be joining the celebration
    67image Can't make it
    22image Are Procrastinating

RSVP Date 2/9
  • Options
    ArethenaArethena member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you really want to pick your own bm dresses; or have them all match, there are a few things you can keep in mind when doing so. For instance, take a look at who you've selected and their body types. This is sort of what I had to do as I couldn't have all my BM come to try dresses on.

If you have very busty girls in your wedding, you will want a dress with straps to hold the ladies up. One of my bridesmaids requested ruching or banding around the waist because she is a little bigger; and this is more flattering to her body type. It's also flattering on smaller body types as well. If you can't have people try dresses on, I would avoid a shorter dress made of chiffon. I found out right away that this looks good on a great body type; but can really over-exaggerate more imperfect types because it really clings. (I only say this because you can't put all your girls in the dresses so you can't individually judge the fabric on their bodies).

You can try googling 'dresses for body types'; it will probably give you different shapes and suggestions for what will work. Then you can reference your BM and see if you can come to some kind of 'middle ground'.
  • Options
    ArethenaArethena member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ...one more thing...Picking dresses can be hard, but dont' beat yourself up over it; if you want to let your girls pick their own then do that. If you want them to have control over color, ask them each for a color that really doens't look good on them and try avoiding those.

In the end, pick something you like and are happy with, if nothing else is working. It's your day :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-over?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:6d185f31-1acd-42fe-b6b3-8a5c1caf9aa5Post:f8cff805-3bd8-41b4-b885-20bf16a5f6cd">Re: Bridesmaids all over</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Do you have any BM that are super tall?  If so, I would be careful, because not all of the DB dresses can come in extra length</strong>.  I was in a wedding last summer where I had to wear a full length dress and it was too short.  The bride knew this, but decided it didn't matter.  It did look pretty bad though.  The other issue for a tall person is that the bodices are pretty short at DB, so if you have a tall girl the proportions on the dress don't always look good.  If there are tall girls I would try DB and see if it works, and if not go with a different designer that is fairly low cost (eg Alfred Angelo or Alfred Sung are just a couple of suggestions). If you don't have tall BM than you should be fine at Davids.  Best of luck!
    Posted by Rachmarie23[/QUOTE]

This. I went with my MOH who is 5'9" and many of their cocktail length dresses were inappropriately short and could not be lengthened.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards