Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

In need of christmas cookie recipes

My aunt is hosting Christmas this year and has asked that I be in charge of baking the cookies.

I'm likely going to do sugar cookies and russian tea cakes for sure because they are both easy.

We typically make date pinwheel cookies too, but they are a TON of work to make, so I'm looking for recipes for equally delicious cookies without all of the work.

Please share your easy but delicious Christmas cookie recipes.

This is a P&R because I have a meeting at 11 that goes through lunch.

ETA: just realized I had a brain fart while typing this and decided to spell it "recipies" instead of "recipes"
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: In need of christmas cookie recipes

• Options

I love Skor Pretzles. Although not technically a cookie, they are delicious and always the first to go at any parties.

They're super simple too. All you need is salted pretzle twists, chocolate wafers and skor bits (all can be found at the bulk barn). Melt chocolate wafers in microwave 30 seconds at a time (stirring after every 30 second interval). Dip half the pretzle in the chocolate and then dip in skor bits. Let harden on parchement lined cookie sheet.

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate Chip isn't exactly christmas, but these are AWESOME.

Don't skip out on the ground up pecans, they're what really brings the recipe together. 

Edit: By the way instead of chopping the pecans I throw them in a ziplock bag and smash them with a heavy book. It's quicker and makes less of a mess. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    joyofcooking.com

They have a whole section on Christmas baking.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-of-christmas-cookie-recipies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fe72ee99-c60b-4d2c-ad12-6b3a3b010f1bPost:b7a38664-1ccb-456a-a247-5c5cd0714bf7">Re: In need of christmas cookie recipies</a>:
    [QUOTE]joyofcooking.com They have a whole section on Christmas baking.
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

It's a pretty good selection too. I've found lots of good recipes there.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Not exactly cookies (ok, not cookies at all) - but delicious and adorable

Reindeer Bellybuttons:

Preheat oven to 275
    Fill a baking sheet with round pretzels
    Top each pretzel with 1 hershey kiss
    Bake 2-3 minutes
    While still hot, put an m&m on top of the kiss and press down. The kiss will fill up the pretzel and voila, 1 bellybutton.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My mom makes Chocolate Dreams, which are no-bake and really quick and easy.

- 2 bars bitter melting chocolate
    - 1 stick margarine or butter
    - 1 cup milk.
    - 3 cups oats
    - 1 cup sugar
    - 1 cup coconut
    - 1 tsp vanilla
    - 1 cup walnuts (optional)

Melt the butter and the chocolate together.  Add milk, sugar and vanilla, stir until bubbling.  Remove from heat and gradually add oats, coconut, and walnuts until thoroughly mixed.  Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet lined in wax paper.  Refrigerate until firm.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    CFM102012CFM102012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-of-christmas-cookie-recipies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fe72ee99-c60b-4d2c-ad12-6b3a3b010f1bPost:7fbfe053-b99a-4b07-bd19-fbaeac92cfa5">Re: In need of christmas cookie recipies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Chocolate Chip isn't exactly christmas, but these are AWESOME. <a rel="nofollow" href="http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/01/chocolate-chip-cookies/">http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/01/chocolate-chip-cookies/</a> Don't skip out on the ground up pecans, they're what really brings the recipe together.  Edit: By the way instead of chopping the pecans I throw them in a ziplock bag and smash them with a heavy book. It's quicker and makes less of a mess. 
    Posted by MeganG12345[/QUOTE]

<div>I have to disagree on this one.  One of our Christmas standards is chocolate chip.  We also do some Mint Chocolate chip.  Add in a little mint extract and some green food coloring and, Voila Christmas cookies.  Though I don't think it would look or taste quite right with the recipe in the link you provided, I'd leave those as directed.  We add the mint and food coloring to the traditional Tollhouse recipe.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP, the right panel of my sig are all cookies that my family makes for Christmas.  If there's anything in there you'd like the recipe for let me know.  The Mint Chocolate Chip are center right.</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    There are four cookie receipes in the AFB-NEY Cookbook

(Advice From Brides became Snarky Brides, though I never understood WHY.  Seems to me that wedding-planning girls would have questions to ask for advice from already-marrieds, but now it's Snarky Brides which seems to be a select group of friends only.)

Included here are Cocoanut Cookies, Best Sugar Cookies Ever, Pumpkin Cookies, and Peanut Butter Cup Cookies. 
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/group/afb-ney-cookbook/398/recipes/popular/keywords:cookies
  • Options
    Chrissy makes REALLY good oatmeal cookies. SO GOOD - seriously. Get the recipie from her!
  • Options
    Orange-Cranberry Cookies with an Orange glaze.. I made them last year for a cookie exchange and they were SO good.

For Cookies:
    1 cup butter, softened
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon orange extract (or orange zest)
    2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup dried cranberries (Ocean Spray craisins)

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (190 degrees C)
    In a large bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg until well blended. Mix in the orange extract (or zest) and orange juice. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the orange mixture. Mix in cranberries until evenly distributed. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Cookies should be spaced at least 2 inches apart.
    Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges are golden. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.

Note: cookies will appear and be doughy when you remove them from the oven, even though fully cooked. They will harden as they cool.

For glaze:
    1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest (optional)
    3 tablespoons orange juice
    1 and 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar

In a small bowl, mix together orange zest (if using), orange juice, and confectioner's sugar until smooth. Spread over the tops of cooled cookies and let stand to set.

Note: You may add more orange juice to taste and consistency. [I found adding more O.J. made the glaze thinner, easier to use, and tastier.]
  • Options
    July2012brideJuly2012bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  These all look yummy, I'll have to do some research and figure out which ones I can make with ingredients I am already buying for other cookies.

What the heck is a Skor?  Am I just living under a rock, or is this not well known?

ETA: looks like it is a toffee candy bar...still have never heard of it though
  • Options
    Do you have a cookie press? I made Mexican Wedding cookies along with these for my Christmas cookie tins that I sent out last week to my family:

- Buttery Spritz Cookies: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/buttery-spritz-cookies/detail.aspx
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    I don't have a cookie press, but those sound yummy.  I may have to buy myself one now.
  • Options
    Peanut Butter Cornflake cookies?
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1610,152161-224194,00.html

Also, as far as the chocolate chip cookies go, they also make peppermint chips. I've mixed about 3/4 the tollhouse chips and the nut amount and the rest of the chocolate chip amount for peppermint chips and they were really good.

I've sent both of these to my husband's work for cookie day.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Easiest PB cookies ever:

1 cup PB (don't use the stuff that needs to be refrigerated), 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1 tbsp vanilla.  Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

You can add nuts, chocolate chips, kisses on top, colored sprinkles, whatever.  They're so easy, and so good. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-of-christmas-cookie-recipies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fe72ee99-c60b-4d2c-ad12-6b3a3b010f1bPost:9184d9c4-465d-4b7b-b34d-f6adf03c209a">Re: In need of christmas cookie recipies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Easiest PB cookies ever: 1 cup PB (don't use the stuff that needs to be refrigerated), 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1 tbsp vanilla.  Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. You can add nuts, chocolate chips, kisses on top, colored sprinkles, whatever.  They're so easy, and so good. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>No flour or anything?  These sound deceptively easy...</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    If you're in the market for a cookie press - buy a manual one, not an electric one. They're too much hassle!

I do all the cookie baking for Christmas in my family - 16 varieties this year!
    An easy, tasty one from my list are candy cane twists - it's just a simple sugar cookie dough (whatever sugar cookie dough is your favorite, or even with twist and bake if you're busy!). Divide your dough in half, and add 1 tsp peppermint extract and some red food coloring to it so it turns a nice, vibrant red. Roll balls of the dough into 3-4 inch strands and twist them together, then shape into a candy cane shape. Bake according to your sugar cookie recipe's instructions, until golden.

Some years I leave them plain, some years I melt down a little white chocolate and drizzle them with white chocolate and sprinkle with some crushed up candy canes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• Options
    I may also do chocolate drizzled popcorn now that I'm thinking about it...FMIL makes it every year to give to her hairdresser, and people she uses their services of on a frequent basis (i.e. the garbage men, newspaper delivery, etc.)  That always seems to be a hit too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-of-christmas-cookie-recipies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fe72ee99-c60b-4d2c-ad12-6b3a3b010f1bPost:4b941d35-5647-423c-89f4-359165d85c02">Re: In need of christmas cookie recipes</a>:
    [QUOTE]J&K those sound delicious.  I will definitely be making those.  Do you think if I heated up the PB to make it mix easier it would ruin the cookies?
    Posted by July2012bride[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm...I'm not sure!  I probably wouldn't.  They're not impossible to mix, just takes some muscle (do it by hand, not with a mixer.  It'll gum up your mixer and make it even harder).

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-of-christmas-cookie-recipies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fe72ee99-c60b-4d2c-ad12-6b3a3b010f1bPost:aab2968e-30ed-4464-b69a-933526c4ffaa">Re: In need of christmas cookie recipies</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: In need of christmas cookie recipies : No flour or anything?  These sound deceptively easy...
    Posted by dumdumfroggie[/QUOTE]

Nope.  No flour.  They're soft, and peanut buttery, and chewy, and rich and delicious. But they're hard as heck to mix.

• Options
    J&K those sound delicious.  I will definitely be making those.  Do you think if I heated up the PB to make it mix easier it would ruin the cookies?
  • Options
    Stardust, we make candy canes too but will do a glaze made with powdered sugar and water with a little extract in it.  We do have to be careful not to overdo the mint in the glaze or the whole cookie is a little too minty.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Pealing Bells

2 c Flour 1 1/2 ts Baking powder 6 tb Butter 1/3 c Shortening 3/4 c Sugar 1 Egg 1 tb Milk 1 ts Grated orange peel 1 ts Vanilla 25 Maraschino cherries; halved .. and well drained Combine flour and baking powder. In large mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening until butter is softened. add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk, orange peel, and vanilla and beat well. Add flour mixture and beat till well mixed. Cover and chill about 30 minutes or till easy to handle. Shape into 2 8" rolls. Wrap and chill for several hours or overnight. Cut into 1/4" slices. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Place a cherry on the bottom half of each slice for clapper bell. Fold in sides of slice, overlapping at top and slightly covering cherry. Pinch in sides to resemble bell shape. Bake in a 350° oven for 12-14 minutes or till done. Remove and cool.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards