New York-Long Island

OOT Bride looking for Venue Feedback and Suggestions, please!

Hi! I am a PA bride looking to get married in NY or NJ because most of my family lives in Westchester county and Long Island. Since I'm OOT and will be heading into the NY and NJ area soon to look at venues, I wanted to narrow our choices down as much as possible and see you have any venue suggestions that I may have missed.

A little info about our wedding: We are anticipating about 170-230 people, and our budget per person is about $250pp (this is slightly flexible, but we would of course love to find something lower than this price if possible! haha Smile). We would like to get married on a Saturday in either October or early April, but we are very flexible with the date. The "look" or "feel" that we are going for is elegant and classic with a bit of a "wow" factor. We would also love it if the venue only hosted one event per day, but this is not a deal-breaker.

Our list so far includes Oheka Castle (from what I've read/researched, it MAY be in our budget if we do it off-peak...we also know about the site fee), Bourne Mansion, Glen Island Harbour Club, The Park Savoy (New Jersey), the Estate at Florentine Gardens (New Jersey), and the Inn at New Hyde Park.

I'm looking for any feedback on food, price, overall look and feel, etc. of these places OR any new suggestions. Thank you in advance! I really appreicate the help! Smile
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: OOT Bride looking for Venue Feedback and Suggestions, please!

• food, price, and overall look and feel would have to go to Bourne Mansion or Inn at New Hyde Park. Both places deliver. Best bang for the buck IMO.
  • You may want to add the Glen Cove Mansion and the Garden City Hotel to your list - they definitely fit the vibe you're going for (and they're also hotels, so that would be helpful for both you and your non-LI guests).  
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_oot-bride-looking-for-venue-feedback-and-suggestions-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:120Discussion:64254aac-3919-40eb-b0f7-3eaeb5c9f758Post:7d8dd538-fb9f-4f4e-b7c1-f6802e20c87e">Re: OOT Bride looking for Venue Feedback and Suggestions, please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]food, price, and overall look and feel would have to go to Bourne Mansion or Inn at New Hyde Park. Both places deliver. Best bang for the buck IMO.
    Posted by amsphoto[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the feedback! I will definitely be putting those on my "must see" list now!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-long-island_oot-bride-looking-for-venue-feedback-and-suggestions-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:120Discussion:64254aac-3919-40eb-b0f7-3eaeb5c9f758Post:527def9e-6f07-49fa-8722-1c2ee4d03877">Re: OOT Bride looking for Venue Feedback and Suggestions, please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You may want to add the Glen Cove Mansion and the Garden City Hotel to your list - they definitely fit the vibe you're going for (and they're also hotels, so that would be helpful for both you and your non-LI guests).  
    Posted by StephBeanWed61502[/QUOTE]

Great suggestions...thank you so much! I'm doing some research on those now!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • melr25melr25 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012

I agree, Inn at NHP and Garden City Hotel are both great spaces and throw awesome parties.  The cocktail hour space at NHP is super unique and a definite WOW.  You should also look into the Allegria Hotel in Long Beach.  The space is modern and unique and its right on the boardwalk/ocean so the views cannot be beat.  The only snag you might run into with them is your guestlist.  When we went to see it we said we were having between 200-215 guest and they said that was right at their max.  If you think you might be at the lower end of your guest total I would say it is definitely worth looking into!

While Oheka has beautiful ground and the guest rooms are gorgeous I am not overall impressed with the parties they throw.  The food is just average and the actual event spaces (cocktail room/ballroom) are nothing special.  For them the appeal is all the grounds, but in my opinion that doesnt make it worth what they charge per plate there.

• jeja234jeja234 member
    First Comment
    Please look into The Royalton at Roslyn Country Club in Roslyn Heights NY. It is where we are getting married on 5-20-12 and its amazing. The venue is a renovated mansion and defnitely has a WOW factor that we loved. They only have 1 event per day, the staff there is so professional ,they have a bridal suite you would think is a 4 star hotel room. What we loved was that it was not a wedding venue that everyone has heard of or been to in Long Island and I found it by chance on a website...... AND the food tasting was incredibe.

http://www.theroyaltonmansion.com/
  • Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everyone! I will definitely check all of those out!

And melr25, thank you so much for the heads up about Oheka. While the grounds are absolutely beautiful, I'm almost glad to know that a more cost-effective option might be better when it comes to the food quality and look of the main rooms haha....the quality of food is probably #1 on our list of importance in addition to the overall look, so that is really good to know!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • II grew up in the Huntington area and absolutley love Coindre Hall, I booked my wedding there for Oct 2012. We went to a few tasting and the food was delicious. The cost per person i think was reasonable.
  • The Inn @ New Hyde Park has a bunch of weddings at a time... if you don't mind that, it is nice. I wouldn't say it exactly "wowed" me but it is a nice place.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards