Canada-Ontario

125 Guests - Food & Alcohol - Less than 10,000?

Hey all!

Has anyone been able to feed and provide open bar to 125 (give or take) guests at less than a hundred per head? I'm finding it crazy difficult to do this in Toronto. Venue and Caterer suggestions with prices please!

Even at a place where you can BYOB - you often have to bring your own everything else, like tables etc...

My fiancee and I are getting married on our 5 year engagement anniversary LOL We have been saving for 3.5 years and still can't afford a nice wedding in Toronto!

Re: 125 Guests - Food & Alcohol - Less than 10,000?

• LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are having a cocktail reception instead of dinner, you will save a lot of money.  The biggest price for us is food & alcohol, and I'm sure you'll find the same at most venues.   Keep us posted because if you can do it, it will be incredible! :)
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry - I read that wrong - I thought you meant for ALL of the wedding costs.

For 125 guests you are looking at $80/person for food, alcohol, and taxes.  I definitely think that can be done if the venue costs are included.  Just slightly outside the downtown core may widen your options.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you know anyone who works at the University of Toronto? The Faculty Club is beautiful and classy and surprisingly inexpensive for a downtown venue - $75/head minimum for weekends. You need a club sponsor though.

I think that the Delta Chelsea also has very good wedding packages. Might be slightly over $100/head, but it includes a LOT so you'll save on other stuff.

Markham Event Centre also has really great packages which include a lot, like premium linens and wedding cake.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011

Check out Spirale Banquet Hall (www.spirale.net). Its on Don Mills, north of Eglinton and it's been renovated recently so its absolutely gorgeous inside.

The owner, Peter, is amazing. We're doing a winter wedding so we're getting a really good price, but we're paying $85pp INCLUDING taxes & gratuties. We'll have open premium bar for like 8 hours (whenever til whenever), hors d'oeuvres, 4 course meal (surf & turf main) and a sweet table.  Everyone I've talked to who has been there says the food is great.

Check it out. I'm sure you'll get great value for your budget, and they're really willing to negotiate and work with you.

Good luck!

• raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were faced with a similar issue, but in Burlington.  We found we just couldn't afford a full sit down dinner while still opting for an open bar.

So, we skipped dinner!

We had a ton of apps.  Heavy, light, hot, cold.  I just pulled up our final invoice, and for less than $9k, taxes and gratuity in, we were able to feed and fill with drink 139 people.  Our venues sit down dinner prices (with a 5-8 hr open bar) started around $125 or so.

So, see if a cocktail reception is possible.  Also, buffets or stations ususally bring the cost down too!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • WeezieTeeWeezieTee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a Cocktail reception as well - for exactly this reason.

We've booked St. Lawrence Hall (which is and unbelievably gorgeous & historic building) for our venue and it's working out perfectly. They allow you to use the caterer of your choosing, stock the bar yourself (just need the LCBO special events permit) AND they don't charge the Landmark fee a lot of venues hit you with when you use an outdoor caterer.

I think with the catering fee and venue rental fee (which, btw, includes tables, chairs, kitchen, etc.) it's coming in at around the 8k mark

Good luck!
    Laughing
  • mcrotondomcrotondo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know that the York Reception venue (I think that is what its called, check eventsouce.com) has deals at less than $100 per head.  If you venture north to Woodbridge or surrounding areas you can also get a great deal of possibly $80 per person.  There is a place called The Lake House that has a whopping $61.75 per plate but it is in Whitby.  So, to be exactly in Toronto, might be difficult, but you can definitely have a wedding for lesss than $100 per person that is a for sure.

Time of year, Friday, Sat or Sunday, will also give you cheaper rates.

The Old Mill's cheapes meal is $89.95pp and Atlantis is the same.....hope this helps.
    Monique
  • vsilva31vsilva31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we're using europa banquet hall in toronto and are paying around 70 tax in per person for open bar and full portuguese menu plus midnight seafood table and sweet table.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you all!

We actually visited Atlantis, but despite good appearances and ecellent price, we were unsatisfied with the reviews we found and the loooooong wait times to get in contact with someone. It tooks two weeks just to get in contact with a live person!

We've decided to go with Archeo in the Distillery District. They come in at about 15,000. But that includes a late night mac & cheese, grilled cheese station, and ceremony fees and, well everything! Plus, it's so beautiful we can skip most of the decor and take the money out of the budget there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards