Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Ideas for what guests can throw after ceremony....

Does anyone have any ideas on what the guests at our wedding can throw after the ceremony? I definitely want something that isn't going to be dangerous to animals. I've seen some options out there, but was just wondering what you all thought, and if you have thought of any great ideas? Thanks!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Ideas for what guests can throw after ceremony....

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ideas-guests-can-throw-after-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:efb73e68-e59f-4c4b-a8c0-b16dfd093f23Post:3e4d11b5-cf5d-4b39-9d4e-b6c4b336dde1">Ideas for what guests can throw after ceremony....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone have any ideas on what the guests at our wedding can throw after the ceremony? I definitely want something that isn't going to be dangerous to animals. I've seen some options out there, but was just wondering what you all thought, and if you have thought of any great ideas? Thanks!
    Posted by KplusE2012[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Flowers, confetti, sparkle diamonds....anything!</div><div>
    </div><div>we are having a small mickey mouse add in to our wedding where people will throw mickey mouse cut outs.</div><div>
    </div><div>if you have a theme you can DIY with that.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know that it's not required. I am interested in it, so that's why I asked...I thought someone would have done something original, that's all.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ideas-guests-can-throw-after-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:efb73e68-e59f-4c4b-a8c0-b16dfd093f23Post:3b9f1fb8-88cd-4bc4-ae15-1dc827a3d29a">Re: Ideas for what guests can throw after ceremony....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought someone would have done something original, that's all.
    Like what?  Unicorns, artichokes, toothbrushes?  There is a reason you don't see anything other than bubbles, rice/rice substitute, birdseed, flower petals, or confetti.  You need something light weight so no one gets hurt.  Original ideas just aren't going to happen, if it's do able it's been done. 

I'd check with your venue though, many don't allow anything at all do to the mess or tripping/slipping hazard.
  • I am personally not going to have guests throwing things at me and fiance as we will not be having a send off.  However, if you were wanting something "animal friendly" I would do bird seed or bubbles. 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ideas-guests-can-throw-after-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:efb73e68-e59f-4c4b-a8c0-b16dfd093f23Post:3e4d11b5-cf5d-4b39-9d4e-b6c4b336dde1">Ideas for what guests can throw after ceremony....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone have any ideas on what the guests at our wedding can throw after the ceremony? I definitely want something that isn't going to be dangerous to animals. I've seen some options out there, but was just wondering what you all thought, and if you have thought of any great ideas? Thanks!

<div>
    </div><div>What is your theme? Maybe I could help you out that way. If you are having an outside ceremony you could have a live butterfly release =) or get a few doves to release.</div><div>
    </div><div>Or what about Dasies? just the top of them</div><div>
    </div><div>or instead of throwing something everyone could do sparklers, those little ones that are legal in most states.</div><div>
    </div><div>you could give your guests sticks with ribbon on the ends that they could wave at you</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not having my guests throw anything. I don't want to be pelted by rice or birdseed or any other crap like that.
    Anniversary
  • thanks for the responses, everyone. sorry...i know some of you think it's a dumb question, but i was just curious. i think everyone has questions about every aspect, so it was something that came to mind, and i just wanted opinions. 
  • Have you seen the "Wedding Wands" It's a dowel rod with ribbon on the end. Guests wave it in the air instead of throwing things at you. Kind of the same effect, animal friendly and you don't get nailed in the face with anything!
  • I honestly was thinking about having people blow bubbles at us while we walk down the isles like buy the l ittle bubbles and have them in a basket as tehy walk in to take or even place them on the seats. 
    Anniversary

TTC starting 8/2014 :)
    My Ovulation Chart

•  
    You can get really pretty custom confetti like this flower shaped confetti cut from a vintage world atlas. 

You can put confetti in custom cones like these ones that are from romantic literature like Pride & Prejudice, The Notebook, Atonement, Time Travellers Wife, or anything!

Or you can make cones from vintage music sheets or 'your song' and fill them with whatever confetti you want!
  • To actually answer your question, bubbles are probably the most environmentally friendly option.  If you're having people toss stuff outdoors, I wouldn't do confetti, since it's pretty much just littering, unless you get the biodegradable kind.  Flower petals, also not great for the environment.  Birdseed is pretty good.  And the thing about rice being bad for birds is actually an urban legend- you can Snopes it if you don't believe me.  Ribbon wands, as PPs have suggested, are also a good choice.

Given that you specified that you don't want to harm animals, I'm deeply confused by the PP who suggested live butterfly or dove releases, since those are obviously cruel to animals (to be clear many of the butterflies don't survive and sometimes the doves don't either).  Don't do those.  :)

• We are doing birdseed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Saw this last night and fell in love with it.  We are doing the cerimony up in the mountains and so we thought it would be awesome to come back the next spring/summer and see all of the flowers that came up from our wedding!!

http://www.botanicalpaperworks.com/catalog/wedding-collection/plantable-seed-confetti

I think it's worth the extra cash to have something original and something that may last(here in Wyoming they may not seed that late into the Fall).

GL!
    Jackie
    Out with the Old and in with the New!! Time to make history!
  • Be sure to check with your ceremony site that you can even throw things.  If you cannot then ribbon wands and bubbles are about your only option.  I've also seen some girls on here talk about lanterns (?) that are environment safe that can be released.  For all things, check with your venue. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • I don't want to be pelted with anything, bubbles always seem to be forgotten and overrated, and I'd hate the thought of the little kids getting ahold of bells during the whole reception. I just haven't seen any ideas that I like. So I'm really no help.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • For tossing in a grassy area, grass seeds (as long as they aren't the kind that come with mixed in fertilizer or other junk llike that) are animal/earth friendly, light and painless to be hit with, non-messy and cheap.

No experience with this, but it might be possible to dye them with food coloring (although this could end poorly if it happens to be raining).
  • I know someone who did those big bendy glo sticks (that can form loops). Waved them around as the couple left. Made for some really cool pics, assuming your wedding will be ending at night.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ribbons on strings (like streamers)  since the church doesnt allow for confetti and i hate the idea of all that getting mushy.
    "All I want is for you to be happy And, take this woman and make you my family And, finally you have found someone perfect And, finally you have found Yourself." -RHCP image
  • We have having our guest use these, wedding horns. We can't throw anything and I feel like everyone uses bubbles. I really like the idea if you have a small wedding, of everyone holding a balloon and as you run past let the balloons go.
  • since we are doing this in vegas, we did not want our chapel to have to pick up a mess or charge us for doing so, so we opted for bubbles
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sparklers (not thrown ;)
    birdseed
     have everyone make a "arms bridge" over you instead of throwing things
    glow sticks
    NYE confetti poppers
    releasing a lantern (PP) sounds cool
  • I wouldn't want to get birdseed or anything stuck in the details of my dress...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ideas-guests-can-throw-after-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:efb73e68-e59f-4c4b-a8c0-b16dfd093f23Post:7d37c362-d587-4c66-9177-84b092a38462">Re: Ideas for what guests can throw after ceremony....</a>:
    [QUOTE]To actually answer your question, bubbles are probably the most environmentally friendly option.  If you're having people toss stuff outdoors, I wouldn't do confetti, since it's pretty much just littering, unless you get the biodegradable kind.  Flower petals, also not great for the environment.  Birdseed is pretty good.  
    Posted by calliopeia2013[/QUOTE]

<div>Out of curiosity, how are flower petals not great? Flowers lose the all the time, right? I'm trying to have an ecofriendly wedding, and I was planning on flower petals, so I'd love to hear more about this.</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had an idea that I loved but it won't work for us because of the timing of our wedding, but the idea is to pick a bunch of dead dandelions and tape them to the back of the program with a message saying something like "As the couple make their exit, make a wish for them and blow it to them." Probably word that better. Anyway, it's free, original, and cute in my opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ideas-guests-can-throw-after-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:efb73e68-e59f-4c4b-a8c0-b16dfd093f23Post:528c21d2-8ef5-4532-be94-8e02843a0130">Re: Ideas for what guests can throw after ceremony....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't want to be pelted with anything, bubbles always seem to be forgotten and overrated, and I'd hate the thought of the little kids getting ahold of bells during the whole reception. I just haven't seen any ideas that I like. So I'm really no help.
    Posted by mandctaft[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree.  I am interested in having something thrown but I haven't liked any of the ideas I've seen.  Maybe I just too picky.  :)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards