Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Weird? Or good compromise?

So Ive been reading a lot about the Walk down the aisle tradition. Im not really That close with either of my parents and I don't like the whole giving away idea Im grown, enough said. lol But I am sort of a people pleaser and don't want to offend anyone by walking down the aisle completely by myself so I thought of an alternative. And want some opinions on this idea. Its a garden ceremony to give you a visual.

What if I had both of my parents would walk me to the beginning of the aisle one on each side, give me a cheek kiss and then they would link arms and walk down the aisle together (They are not together but they are on good terms). I being left at the beginning of the aisle will be free to make that lovely walk by myself to meet my FH at the alter!

Pros: I don't offend anyone, I get to have that intimate walk down the aisle just looking at FH, I get great pics of me (and my dress) walking down the aisle, in addition to giving both my parents what I believe they really want. I feel like its very symbolic, your parents get you to a certian point and then you take yourself the rest of the way.

Con: It may look weird, the rehearsal is in two weeks so we will be able to try it out then. It may be awkward just standing at the beginning of the aisle as they make their way to the end to their seats. 

Delima: When should the Bridal entrance song begin? When I walk with the both of them or when I begin my walk alone at the beginning of the aisle?

Or is this just weird and I should just decide to go alone or just go with tradition and have them both walk me down?

Thanks for reading!
Jerika

Re: Weird? Or good compromise?

• Options
    I think that sounds cute. I would have the music start once you are alone, I don't think it would flow well if it started with both of your parents there. But I really like the idea and it should make everyone happy.
  • Options
    I think that sounds really cute.  I'd go for it if they're down with it.
  • Options
    There's no right or wrong way to walk down the aisle.   So many people have so many different family situations that people are doing the walk down the aisle just about any way you can think of it.  If this works for you and your family, then go for it:-)
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I think it's cute.  It might be weird if you just stand there while they walk to their seats, though.

I'm kind of shocked that anyone would be offended if you walk by yourself.  If that's what you really want, do it.  Anyone that would be offended by that is an idiot.  
  • Options
    Your parents could be seated before the wedding party and then stand up (which your mom should be doing anyway to signal everyone else) when you are about to walk in. They could come give you a hug when you reach the end of the aisle and then go back to their seats.

I'm not sure why you're so bothered by the idea of being given away, though. Women are no longer property and I liked honoring my parents for raising me to be the woman I am today. But if you want to walk alone (or with your groom, for that matter), then do it.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Many grown brides walk by themselves down the ailse.  I am close to both  my parents, but I'm having just my dad walk me down the aisle.   If it wasn't going to be just my dad (if my mom would have been hurt) I would have walked by myself. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards