Not Engaged Yet
Options

Moving

In two weeks I am moving into my apartment.   I am really excited!  I hate moving so I am interested in making this as hassle free as possible.  So tell me:
1. First things to unpack?
2. Which rooms are most important to get set up first?  (I only have 4; bedroom, living room, kitchen & bathroom)
3. What was the first meal you made in your new place?
4. What would you use for a makeshift table?

5. I thought of one more, best drink to drink while unpacking?

I am so excited; I am coming back to America in a week! 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

Re: Moving

• Options
    1. I would unpack kitchen and bathroom essentials first
    2. I think the most important rooms are the kitchen and bathroom,
    3. When I moved in my new home I don't remember the first meal I made, sadly.
    4. TV trays are great for makeshift tables

Questions for you, what do you miss most from America, food or culture wise?
    What will you miss when you leave Germany, food and culture wise?
    What will stick out the most about living in Germany?

Anniversary

• Options
    Bedroom and  Bathroom - but jus the essentials. Make sure you can function in chaos for at least a week lol

2. Which rooms are most important to get set up first?  (I only have 4; bedroom, living room, kitchen & bathroom)
    See above answer

Actually cooked?? I don't remember. Probably spaghetti

Those little storage cubes/footrest things... They are currently being our sidetables by the couch lol

Beer. Or wine.

I am so excited; I am coming back to America in a week! 

• Options
    I say do the bathroom first. When I moved into my current apartment, there was already a shower curtain, (I DID get a new liner) so I didn't really think I had to rush. I moved in in January, and there are marble tiles in my bathroom - that first morning when I stepped out of the shower & my feet turned to ice cubes... I went & got bathroom stuff immediately!!

As far as getting everything set up, I'd say kitchen. I took a little longer with the living room, trying to figure out the best layout & everything. But the kitchen kind of needs to be functional right away.

I don't remember the first thing I made... Probably mac & cheese, ha.

My current "coffee table" is my oversized ottoman. I don't have room for both, so everything just goes on that.

Drinks... wine. Wine makes everything better.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Oh I forgot that question drinking wine helps with unpacking and most other major life headaches.

Anniversary

• Options
    1. Bedroom and bathroom.  I can usually function in kitchen chaos though, as long as I'm packed well.  You can always order take out.  You DO need a bed to sleep in though.

2. See above

3. I haven't lived in a proper apartment yet.  I usually just ate in the Commons at school.  Although the first meal I made for the boys in their apartment was tacos.

4. A friend of mine used an old steamer trunk as a coffee table.  It was super pretty.

5. Wine.

Are you and Noah moving in together?  Or is this just you?
    I french with my man
  • Options

Hmm good advice guys.  Bri your story about the cold bathroom floor made me laugh, I think I would be the same way.  I can’t wait to get started!

Danser:  Funny thing I just wrote these answers to Ely in an email!
    Questions for you, what do you miss most from America, food or culture wise?
    Food.  I miss good food, not to say that Germany doesn't have good food but I don't like about 80% of the things that are cooked here and I have to choke it down.  I miss Mexican food, In and Out burger (it's one of the first things I am doing when we arrive), Chinese food, and sushi.  Culture wise, I miss driving, screens, not having to pay for bathrooms and being able to text my friends. 

What will you miss when you leave Germany, food and culture wise?
    I will miss a lot: Speaking German with people, bakeries, awesome open air markets, old cities with cool historical things, beautiful churches, trains, Schnitzel, the cool WWOOFer's we have met here, traveling to other countries without it being a big deal, and good beer.  I love German culture so I will miss most of it.
    What will stick out the most about living in Germany?
    Hmmm probably how easy it is to travel and for fairly cheap.

Peeks:
    Are you and Noah moving in together?  Or is this just you?
    Haha no it is us.  I guess I should have said our apartment.                     

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_moving-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:1d4a5dd5-c3ee-49b3-adea-e86ec51228c4Post:cd626e97-3c16-40ad-8ae9-3a47069c0bba">Re: Moving</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm good advice guys.  Bri your story about the cold bathroom floor made me laugh, I think I would be the same way.   I can’t wait to get started! <strong>Danser:  Funny thing I just wrote these answers to Ely in an email! Questions for you, what do you miss most from America, food or culture wise? Food.  I miss good food, not to say that Germany doesn't have good food but I don't like about 80% of the things that are cooked here and I have to choke it down.  I miss Mexican food, In and Out burger (it's one of the first things I am doing when we arrive), Chinese food, and sushi.  Culture wise, I miss driving, screens, not having to pay for bathrooms and being able to text my friends.  What will you miss when you leave Germany, food and culture wise? I will miss a lot: Speaking German with people, bakeries, awesome open air markets, old cities with cool historical things, beautiful churches, trains, Schnitzel, the cool WWOOFer's we have met here, traveling to other countries without it being a big deal, and good beer .  I love German culture so I will miss most of it. What will stick out the most about living in Germany? Hmmm probably how easy it is to travel and for fairly cheap.</strong> Peeks: Are you and Noah moving in together?  Or is this just you? Haha no it is us.  I guess I should have said our apartment.                      
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]
    Very interesting, a once in a lifetime experience though.  I missed a lot of American food while living Italy.  I definitely agree about the cost and ease of traveling from one country to another was amazing.  There is so much history and older wonderful cities.  Thanks for answering my question!

Anniversary

• Options
    What is a good red wine? 

No problem Danser :)  It really was a great time and I am so glad we went!   Where did you live in Italy? 

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    I lived in Asolo, it was about an hour and a half outside of Venice. 

Anniversary

• Options
    Make your bed! Assemble and sort the bedding out. It is the worst to finish the day and realize you've got to make your bed before you can sleep in it.
    I do the basics in all rooms - make up the bed, find the cleaning stuff, then sort out toilet paper and towels in the bathroom, then cutlery/plates/paper towels in the kitchen, then sofa/dining table. Then do the bathroom & kitchen.
    Take-out from Dominos Pizza. Then we had pasta with ragu, something super easy.

We used boxes which were the same size with a table cloth thrown over.
    Wine spritzers :)

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_moving-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:1d4a5dd5-c3ee-49b3-adea-e86ec51228c4Post:cd626e97-3c16-40ad-8ae9-3a47069c0bba">Re: Moving</a>:
    [QUOTE]what do you miss most from America, food or culture wise? Food.  I miss good food, not to say that Germany doesn't have good food but I don't like about 80% of the things that are cooked here and I have to choke it down.  I miss Mexican food, In and Out burger (it's one of the first things I am doing when we arrive), Chinese food, and sushi.  Culture wise, I miss driving, screens, not having to pay for bathrooms and being able to text my friends.  What will you miss when you leave Germany, food and culture wise? I will miss a lot: Speaking German with people, bakeries, awesome open air markets, old cities with cool historical things, beautiful churches, trains, Schnitzel, the cool WWOOFer's we have met here, traveling to other countries without it being a big deal, and good beer .  I love German culture so I will miss most of it. What will stick out the most about living in Germany? Hmmm probably how easy it is to travel and for fairly cheap.     

What you've said about German food is what I said about American food. It takes a couple of years for tastes to acclimatize I think. Do you think you'll go out of your way back in America to find any German things? If I went back now I'd definitely hunt for pop-tarts, Entemanns donuts, and Bear Naked granola. And I love how easy it is to get chocolate milk and Mexican food here.
  • Options

Liv: I don't have any tables/table like things as of now.  We are looking for a table but I am not sure we will have one by the time we move.

Fizzy- I wrote that down wrong.  We are living with a family and I don't like her cooking.  I love German food just I am tired of eating her food.  lol sound terrible but it is true.  I plan on making schnitzel when I get back plus a couple of other dishes.  Where are you living/from? 

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    I don't know if you've tried it, but the Knorr Salat Kroenung makes a fantastic dressing.  Just toss as much of the herb mix packet as you want on your salad, add olive oil and water to make a vinagrette-esque thing.  If you like it, I recommend bringing back as much as you can.  They're like a quarter a packet over there, but you'll spend $6 on 5 packets here.
    I french with my man
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_moving-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:1d4a5dd5-c3ee-49b3-adea-e86ec51228c4Post:a27fa957-f467-4c1e-9e12-e6bd246bf05c">Re: Moving</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fizzy- I wrote that down wrong.  We are living with a family and I don't like her cooking.  I love German food just I am tired of eating her food.  lol sound terrible but it is true.  I plan on making schnitzel when I get back plus a couple of other dishes.  Where are you living/from? 

I live in NY now, I've been in the US about 4 years. I grew up in England. And unfortunately bad cooking can be found all over the world.
  • Options
    1. First things to unpack? Toilet paper and cleaning supplies. Also, a couple pairs of clothes and your basic toiletries.
    2. Which rooms are most important to get set up first? Kitchen and bedroom. You'll need to sleep there that first night, but you'll also need your basic kitchen supplies in order to eat. TP is really the only think you'll NEED in the bathroom for the first few days.
    3. What was the first meal you made in your new place? Uhh...I dunno. We ate a lot of take-out and casseroles that other people made us the first week.
    4. What would you use for a makeshift table? A box or better yet, your lap. 5. I thought of one more, best drink to drink while unpacking? Most would say beer. I say rum and coke, because it's my go-to drink. One suggestion: Pack and keep track of a couple of boxes to unpack first (with whatever you think you'll need ASAP...cleaning supplies, TP, basic kitchen wares, towels/bedding etc.) plus a suitcase with toiletries and clothes for a week to get you started the first couple of days. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    I am the least qualified to give advice about this. 4 months after moving and I still have loads of boxes unpacked. The only I have to offer is - YAY for moving back and finding a new place. Good luck with moving and unpacking!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards