Not Engaged Yet

Boys and Birthdays

So my boyfriend’s birthday is on Monday.  Still haven’t gotten him anything…because he buys everything he wants for himself.  Just in the past week he bought himself an ice-cream maker, a video game, and a dresser. So, I am getting him a cardigan, to teach him a lesson. :-P OK OK and a few other cooler more manly things. But I am a terrible boy shopper.  Terrible.  Any fresh ideas are welcome to help me on my journey…I should mention he doesn’t honestly need a darn t hing.  For my birthday he got me like $50 worth of Costco blended coffee mixes, and this swanky travel mug I had been drooling over at starbucks (seattle girl…) so it was cleaver and perfect and useful.  His cardigan will be useful I suppose…..
August Siggy Challenge- The cake image

Re: Boys and Birthdays

• CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    For my BF's recent birthday I got him 3 framed photos of pictures that we took last year on our vacation. They are photos of the mountains, which he misses a lot since he moved to Chicago. He loved this gift :) 

Would your boyfriend like something sentimental like this?
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Its hard to say without knowing his interests and hobbies. I got my BF the first 5 seasons of the Simpsons because he loves that show. I've also gotten him a hot chocolate maker (it also does coffee) and I usually take him out to dinner. I got him a coffee sampler from starbucks one time too.

So what type of things is your BF in to?

• Bec20Bec20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm no help, I rarely have good ideas on what to buy my BF for his birthday and for Christmas.  It doesn't help that school sucks up all of my money either.

The best idea I had was that one year I bought him his favourite hockey team's jersey.  I told him that if he cheered for the Leafs, I wouldn't have bought it for him (semi-jokingly).

This past year he saw a cocktail shaker and he decided he NEEDED it.  Since it was only a couple weeks before his birthday, I bought that and called it a day.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If he pretty much buys everything he wants, then I say take him out to do an activity that he loves.  My sister is like that she buys herself everything that she wants so I end up just taking her out to do things or offer up various favors that she can call upon when she needs them for her birthday. 
  • Roo726Roo726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes he would like something sentimental, I already made a photo collage.  so CHECK. 

Taking him out to do something is a good idea, but we have lots of adventures and dates already.... I mean we haven't done EVERYthing we also have vacation time together in about 2 weeks so I really can't afford to do something too over the top.

and i know im not giving you alot to work with lol. so i was just curious if anyone had any particular interesting ideas...he isn't into sports (an occasional football game) he plays video games, but thats not territory im willing to step into. 

I have even looked on etsy for clever things.  I am making him this quilt for christmas with like star wars patches...i love nerds.

he even owns a MAGIC BULLET. 
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    A new Halo (apparently the most awesome video game ever) just came out. . . maybe he'd like that (if he doesn't have it already)
  • Roo726Roo726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_boys-birthdays-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bb12c82a-2b94-4a43-b3f0-cdabda5cb2a0Post:a3642ff2-c84c-4ff8-be36-f6d99f434d16">Re: Boys and Birthdays</a>:
    [QUOTE]A new Halo (apparently the most awesome video game ever) just came out. . . maybe he'd like that (if he doesn't have it already)
    Posted by cschiano[/QUOTE]

it's a terrific thought, but unfortunately he doesn't like the newer HALO's.  At least I know him right? lol.

I should get something totally weird and tacky.  Like a chunky silver id bracelet.  Something SO OUT there but pretend I just adore it...see what he does.  That could be fun?
  • CSTK1910CSTK1910 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_boys-birthdays-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bb12c82a-2b94-4a43-b3f0-cdabda5cb2a0Post:1c305ca2-4e06-4bce-b7f0-864cf952d5a9">Re: Boys and Birthdays</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boys and Birthdays : it's a terrific thought, but unfortunately he doesn't like the newer HALO's.  At least I know him right? lol. <strong>I should get something totally weird and tacky.  Like a chunky silver id bracelet.  Something SO OUT there but pretend I just adore it...see what he does.  That could be fun?</strong>
    Posted by Roo726[/QUOTE]

<div>Hahaha, I love that idea. Ummm, does he like to cook? I got FI a crockpot and a set of knives last Christmas and he LOVES them. Plus, he cooks for me even more know. Win-win. I know how you feel with the video games...sometimes I get them for him, but only the ones he has been clearly hinting at wanting haha. Oh, also one time I got him a make your own hot sauce kit. That was cool. They have like brew your own beer kits, too.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    BF and I usually treat each other to tickets to a show, and gift cards to our favorite places. And dinner. Always dinner.
  • Roo726Roo726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_boys-birthdays-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bb12c82a-2b94-4a43-b3f0-cdabda5cb2a0Post:32d991f9-a1fd-4ef1-8387-33f19f7b06bb">Re: Boys and Birthdays</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boys and Birthdays : Hahaha, I love that idea. Ummm, does he like to cook? I got FI a crockpot and a set of knives last Christmas and he LOVES them. Plus, he cooks for me even more know. Win-win. I know how you feel with the video games...sometimes I get them for him, but only the ones he has been clearly hinting at wanting haha. Oh, also one time I got him a make your own hot sauce kit. That was cool. They have like brew your own beer kits, too.
    Posted by CSTK1910[/QUOTE]

I LOVE the hot sauce idea.  We don't drink so can't do the beer one- however he has an extensive collection of liquor for when people who do drink come over. its odd because we never crack into it. Knifes are a grande idea as well.  Thank you.
  • PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bake him his favorite dessert. My FI looks forward to Valentine's Day and his birthday because I always bake a ton of goodies (more than my usual) for him. He really like peanut butter cup cookies, peanut butter pie, and brownies with peanut butter chips. Can you tell he likes peanut butter? Wink
  • hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could you get him something that is an experience, rather than a thing? Sailing lessons? A really nice dinner in a five star restaurant maybe?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My boyfriend's bday is Sunday.  He got a new scroll-saw.  This probably only works for crazy woodworkers (he helped pick it out, but he's in love)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting my boyfriend a couples massage.  That way we both benefit:) Would he like that?
  • flyjawnflyjawn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i can only do sentimental gifts for my SO because there is such a huge gap in our incomes and i could never afford the things that he would buy for himself.  

he gets romantic home cooked dinners, love letters, and my kids will often make him gifts.

• edited December 2011
    I got my BF a sushi rolling kit for his birthday.  It's something you can do together, and it can be a little bit of an adventure!
  • deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_boys-birthdays-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:bb12c82a-2b94-4a43-b3f0-cdabda5cb2a0Post:1c305ca2-4e06-4bce-b7f0-864cf952d5a9">Re: Boys and Birthdays</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boys and Birthdays : <strong>it's a terrific thought, but unfortunately he doesn't like the newer HALO's. </strong> At least I know him right? lol. I should get something totally weird and tacky.  Like a chunky silver id bracelet.  Something SO OUT there but pretend I just adore it...see what he does.  That could be fun?
    Posted by Roo726[/QUOTE]

<div>The new Halo is far superior to Halo Wars and stupid ODST. ODST was a piece of garbage, IMHO. The campaign in Reach is a bit slow, but the online play is awesome and there are sooo many choices. Did he play the Beta? Or are you just assuming he won't like Reach because he didn't like ODST?</div><div>
    </div><div>Does he like to read? There are book series based on Halo and Gears of War that he might like.</div><div>
    </div><div>I usually keep a list of stuff that BF says he wants throughout the year so that I have go to stuff when special events roll around. He usually buys about half of the stuff before I can, but there's usually a few things he'll forget he wanted.</div>
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You could always put a ribbon on yourself and tell him you are his birthday gift or make a "coupon book." Example pick out 12 things you think he would like. Like 30 min massage or coupon for you to cook and serve his favorite meal. So on and so on. 
  • Starlight KelStarlight Kel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One year for my bf's birthday I got him Tickets to see Carlos Mencia live.  His bday was in Aug and the show wasn't till Nov so I made him a nice card and put the tickets in the card.  He was sooooo excited!  Maybe there is a comedy show or concert he would like to go to? 
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI always buys everything he wants too. It makes birthdays, holidays, etc and pain in my hind end.

What I usually do is buy him an accessory to whatever crazy thing he just bought. You could get BF some different flavors of ice cream mixes (is that how it comes?) What video games does he play? I bought FI some gamer headphones for COD2(3?) and that way I don't have to hear the game and he can hear people"sneaking up" on him. Win Win. I know for xbox 360 they have a charging doc and rechargable battery packs for the controllers. That's would be perfect if he goes through batteries a lot.
  • Roo726Roo726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_boys-birthdays-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:bb12c82a-2b94-4a43-b3f0-cdabda5cb2a0Post:55d743d2-6e82-4bb9-81dc-8eb3a1a125f2">Re: Boys and Birthdays</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got my BF a sushi rolling kit for his birthday.  It's something you can do together, and it can be a little bit of an adventure!
    Posted by teeniballerini[/QUOTE]

Normally I would say this gift is perfection considering we love sushi and he was born in japan and spent most of his childhood there (military brat) BUT he bought th is sushi kit last week while we were at the state fair lol.  I am not even kidding either he really did. 
  • Roo726Roo726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So here is what he got:

A striped blue and navy blue sweater (i know he will like it even though i was joking about the cardigan, he is in need of winter clothing)

A deck of "ladies of starwars" cards- pretty hilarious.

A robot toothbrush holder

A pair of socks with dinosaurs on them

A painted picture I did for him with photos of us and stuff

I think thats a pretty awesome present if I do say so for myself.  OH and of course dinner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards