Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Making a Ring From Diamonds in Old Ring

My mom gave me a beautiful diamond ring that was her aunt's in the hopes I could use the diamonds in it (there are a lot, but they are small) for a wedding band. Has anyone had any experience in bringing a ring to a jeweler to make a new ring? Is it worth it financially)?

Re: Making a Ring From Diamonds in Old Ring

• Options
    Probably worthwhile at least taking it to a jeweler to see what they can do, see if you can find a local jeweler with craftsmen onsite that you can talk to about using those diamonds and different designs they could do to incorporate them.  With the price of gold these days if you can use the diamonds to save money it wouldn't be a bad thing at all!
    Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Options
    Talk to a jeweller. I wanted to melt down the gold from my mothers wedding ring and use it to make a new ring for myself but apparently the gold has to be repurified and it is a lenghthy process, I'd lose most of it and it woutl be really expensive. I didn't anticipate any of that.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I've heard that reusing the gold can be difficult, but a good jeweler should be able to give you several suggestions about how to reset the stones.

This box shipped toys? No this box is toy! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My engagement ring has a diamond in it that belonged to my fiance's grandmother - he had it custom made by a jeweler. I think if you do want to do this, you'd be better off actually speaking to whoever will be doing the work - try local jewelers before going to a Zales, or Kay jewelers or something like that. 
  • Options
    My parents' wedding rings have diamonds from my grandmother's jewelry. Mom designed her rings around the diamonds, to considerable cost savings.

Re-using gold may or may not be worth it, depending on the karat and style of rings you want.

We have a heavy heirloom pin and earring set, 14K with freshwater pearls and small diamonds. We want the gold for plain wedding bands, and we're investigating whether it's worth it to have it re-fashioned. I did some research, and thought not. Mom talked to a jeweler's wife, and thought so. My future mother in law thought not, but that the very strange jewelry was still worth more than its parts, and should be consigned. We're still investigating.
  • Options
    Thanks, all! Turned out it wasn't worth it - my engagement ring is a cushion cut pave setting with diamonds on both sides, so I really need a custom band anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards