Flowers

Blue Bouquet Help, Please-PIP

My FI and I have decided to go with all different shades of blue for our wedding in May. I found several pictures of flowers I liked and took them to the florist he is most familiar with (we are getting married in his hometown) to discuss options and pricing.  These are the pictures I took with me. The first is my favorite, but I'd like more blue and less white.

She told me only delphiniums and hydrangeas are naturally blue. I get that some of the flowers are borderline purple, but there are also several in each bouquet pic that are definitely blue and definitely not a hydrangea or delphinium. My grandma grew Bachelor's buttons and hyacinth, and they were blue, and she may have had some blue cosmos as well. Do I need to find another florist altogether, ask for the owner of the shop, or just take her a list of specific flowers I'd like?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Blue Bouquet Help, Please-PIP

• If you want true blue flowers then yes, delphinium and hydrangeas are your only choice, but if you don't mind a few variations of blue/purple you can definitely use irises or cornflower.  However, hyacinth will not hold up very well at all in a bouquet and also many other garden flowers that have a blue/purple hew will not work well or hold up in a bouquet, so yes you are very limited.

Also, depeding on the time of year it may be very difficult if not impossible to get in some varieties of flowers.  Also, you need to think about your costs because if flowers are out of season or are just difficult to get because of their rarety, you may end up spending  a lot of money.

To add in more blue but without flowers you can always integrate a very pretty ribbon and have it looped throughout and in with the flowers.

• TaraW1979TaraW1979 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I had blue roses because my florist was able to order them from Holland (I believe). She said they were dyed on a farm. They were a deep royal blue. They were pretty pricy. My bouquet was mixed with cala lilies and carnations. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks, ladies! I don't know much about garden flowers vs. bouquet flowers, so your responses were exactly what I needed.
    If we did a loose mix of hydrangea, delphinium, blue carnations (she spray paints them, essentially, and it kind of makes me feel like alice in wonderland), and some kind of white thing, like baby's breath or queen anne's lace, do you think that would be pretty?

• The florist is correct in their statement, however what he left out is that they can dye flowers blue, which is most likely what happened to the other flowers in those pictures.  It usually costs more, but it can be done.

I think the blue/white combo is very pretty, but I'm not a big fan of the painting method of coloring flowers...that's just personal choice though.
  • Obviously people have different opinions on blue, but the first bouquet you pictured is a true blue and while I can't think of the flower name off the top of my head, they can be ordered in the dark and light blue hues.  Several flowers ARE in fact dyed, but it would be a good idea to bring specific choices to your florist.
  • Thanks! you have all been really helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards