Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Father Daughter Dance Alternative?

I was wondering if anybody has ideas on an alternative to the father/daughter dance? My father HATES dancing, even when he's not the only one on the dance floor. but my Fiance's mom definitely wants to do a Mother/Son dance. I'm not one for public speaking or singing either so poetry/singing/toasts are out too. Any ideas?! thanks.

Re: Father Daughter Dance Alternative?

• You could put together a slideshow tribute to the song you would have danced to with pictures of you two while you were growing up.
  • Let your groom dance with his mom if he wants, but there is no need to replace the father-daughter dance with anything else.  These spotlight dances are usually pretty boring for the guetss, so I'm sure no one will miss it.

• Skip the dance.
  • Since it wil be hard to dance with my dad (I'm in a wheelchair) we are inviting all the father/daughters in attaendance onto the dance floor and then we will stand together while the song is played.
  • I would say skip it if he doesn't want to do it but have you asked him...my brother hates to dance to but was very happy to dance with me.  My dad had to go home after ceremony due to health issues.
    Anniversary
  • my dad will not dance he may cut in durring the last bit of the bride and groom dance and at that point i'm going to just have the dj play the song i had picked out for the father daughter dance. He's my stepdad so I picked he didn't have to be by brad paisley. he has been there for me since i was 3 years old.

• If your dad really doesn't want to dance but you want a spotlight dance akin to the mother/son dance, could you ask your grandfather or an uncle or something?  Just make sure you talk to dad first and make sure he wont be sore about the change. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My sister did a father/daughter trivia game as their "dance" and it was a big hit. You can certainly skip it altogether, but if you want to have a special daddy/daughter moment on your big day, there are other options than dancing/toasting. You can even have the DJ dedicate a song to him even if you don't dance to it, or make a photo collage of the two of you as you grew up to display atthe reception. Get creative and do something personal to the two of you :-)

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_father-daughter-dance-alternative-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:5e7ccdb0-d106-4418-9aac-909969cbb42bPost:4d48183c-0981-434f-a5c9-c24bc304980f">Father Daughter Dance Alternative?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was wondering if anybody has ideas on an alternative to the father/daughter dance? My father HATES dancing, even when he's not the only one on the dance floor. but my Fiance's mom definitely wants to do a Mother/Son dance. I'm not one for public speaking or singing either so poetry/singing/toasts are out too. Any ideas?! thanks.
    Posted by tayloca1987[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards