August 2013 Weddings

Long-Cringe/Vent

Hi all, hope everyone is having a great week!  I just ran into my first major wedding "stress" and needed to get it off my chest...

We had dinner with my FMIL last night, and she announced that she was planning to throw me a shower with her side of the family (no BP or my family).  I immediately thanked her; it is a generous offer and I know that the cost and time of doing this are significant to her.  However, she said in the next breath that she wanted to invite many people (her coworkers and distant extended family) who will not be invited to the wedding to "show me off" to them.  Cringe! 

I very delicately told her I wasn't comfortable having a gift-giving event with those who we couldn't invite.  Her response to this was "well, nobody has to bring a gift.  They will though."  When I suggested writing "no gifts" or calling it a "bridal tea" she said "No, it's a shower and you're getting gifts.  I've gone to showers where I wasn't invited to the wedding."  Sigh.  To make things worse she wants to hold in the spring, when many people could reasonably think an invitation was still forthcoming. 

When I filled in FI, he said that he had ALREADY told her I wouldn't be comfortable with this.  Now I feel between a rock and a hard place; I know I need to talk her out of inviting these people or decline the shower.  I think though, and FI agrees, that declining the shower would permanently damage my (previously fine) relationship with her. 

FI is going to talk to her about it again once some time has passed; I just needed to vent to some people who could sympathize.  NOW I see why wedding planning is supposed to be stressful! 

Re: Long-Cringe/Vent

• It may be a custom in her circle of friends. Where I come from, people do it all the time (even though it's not PC, and even though I personally dislike the idea). Here it's almost expected for the MOB and sometimes MOG to have a shower for their friends, and their friends even expect it, even when they know that they are not invited to the wedding.

I don't agree with the custom, but it does happen in some places, and you've done the right things. You spoke to your FMIL and explained and your FI did the same. It sucks that she's totally disregarding your wishes, but it sounds like she's made up her mind.

Maybe you and your FI can sit down with her together and explain again. You still have some time. There's strength in numbers! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's a really good point, jennylee.  I'll have to check with my mom and see if she has heard of these types of showers.  I've found that a lot of what commonly is done in my area (ie cash bars) violates the etiquette rules I've learned from this site.  Even if that is the case, it makes me uneasy and we will definitely work on talking her out of it.  She's a sweet woman and very excited for the wedding, but can be a bit...sensitive...so I've always been very careful to be polite and respectful to her.  I wouldn't want to come off as calling her idea "rude" when it's coming from a good place. 
  • lol, I hear you. We also do cash bars here because it's expected. Different places, different customs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mom has never heard of this. Ugh. Oh well, plenty of time to figure it out. Thanks for commiserating jennylee!
  • Anytime - good luck with it! Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards