Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Addressing STDs

I need some help with addressing my STDs. We are getting married on the beach, so I'm trying to steer away from making the STDs sound too formal. I want to address them to John & Jane Doe as opposed to Mr. and Mrs. John Doe. I am using "and Family" to include young children, but what about households with older children still living at home? I feel as though I should name them individually as opposed to saying "and Family", but I'm not sure how to set it up.

Before the etiquette police jump down my throat, I know you are technically supposed to send a separate invitation to anyone over 18, but please remember that we are in a recession. We are trying to be cost conscious and I just don't see the point in sending 2 separate STDs or invitations to one address for the same family...especially since we are trying to keep this somewhat less formal.

Thanks!

Re: Addressing STDs

• Options
    edited August 2010
    If you don't want to use titles, don't. As for kids, just list them as well on the 2nd line.

ETA:

John and Jane Doe
    Danny and Sally
    123 Bee Street
    etc...
  • Options
    STDs follow different etiquette in my book.  And they can be as formal or casual as you make them.  We only sent one STD to each house, but did invites for anyone over 18 on their own. 

Any that we sent out where the whole family was invited we just wrote "The Smith Family" on the STD.  Or you can do as Georgia said.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    For our STDs, if the "children" were 18 or older, we addressed them by name on the envelope to their parents.  It's hard to get 30+ cousins college addresses and friends' younger siblings that are also in college.  If the children were 17 or younger, we put Mr. and Mrs. John Doe and family.  I would use "The Doe Family" as dnbeach12 said instead of John and Jane Doe and Family.  But it's all personal preference :-)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_addressing-stds-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:2f592c5a-16e2-4809-9bf3-50ee74226da4Post:ccd589c3-9fe9-4b3f-be7e-835a63a34e2e">Re: Addressing STDs</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>STDs follow different etiquette in my book.  And they can be as formal or casual as you make them.  We only sent one STD to each house, but did invites for anyone over 18 on their own.</strong>  <strong>Any that we sent out where the whole family was invited we just wrote "The Smith Family" on the STD.</strong>  Or you can do as Georgia said.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

This is what I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards