Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

walking down the aisle...what do you think?

We are having a small wedding (50 guests) and the ceremony will be held in a courtyard at the same venue as the reception. I am marrying a Swede and traditionally in Swedish weddings the bride and groom walk down the aisle together but my parents would also like to be involved. I also have a son who I want to include somehow...

I came up with this idea this morning and wanted to share it and get feedback...

First, my Matron of honor/bridesmaid (only having one) and my son (best man...sort of) walk across the courtyard together and down the aisle and wait at the alter. Next, Groom walks across the courtyard with his parents to the top of the aisle. They leave him there and walk down the aisle together to their seats.  Finally I walk across the courtyard with my parents to my waiting groom. My parents then proceed down the aisle to their seats. Finally Groom and I walk down the aisle together.

Thoughts?

Re: walking down the aisle...what do you think?

• Options
    At the end when you say you and your FI walk down the aisle together, I assume you mean at the end after you're married? It kind of sounded like you meant you'd both walk down AGAIN at the beginning, and if that's the case, I would say no to that b/c that wouldn't make sense, but if it's the former, I think your plan sounds fine. This way you can incorporate your tradition with what you really want to do.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I think it sounds fine.  I saw an episode of 4 weddings not too long ago & the groom-to-be met the bride halfway down the aisle, I thought that was cool!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hkgkatehkgkate member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    No, I did mean that we meet at the top of the aisle before the ceremony and walk down together (as per Swedish custom)...by having my parents accompany me TO the top of the aisle though and "hand" me over to my groom there means that they are also included in the ceremony. The traditional Swedish way is for the Bride and Groom to arrive together and walk down the aisle together with no handing over at all....this was the best way I could think of to include both traditions...but am open to other suggestions :))))
  • Options

I have also seen the groom meet the bride half way down the aisle.  I think you being handed off then walking the other half is a good compromise.

I also like your idea as well.

• Options
    I think your idea works well.  It makes sense to me! 

It's a lot of people to deal with but sounds like a good way to get everyone involved and satisfy all traditions.
  • Options
    I think it would be nice. Maybe your parents walk you halfway and your FH meets you there and walks you the rest of the way?
  • Options
    I agree. I think you found a agreat way to include everyone and combine both yours abd your FI's traditions.  Sounds beautiful!
  • Options
    Thank you all :)))))
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_walking-down-islewhat-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:47269ad8-4c97-40e8-8333-9f61c2f4dab1Post:292e5827-4714-4d78-adac-a801dabf9fb9">Re: walking down the isle...what do you think?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it sounds fine.  I saw an episode of 4 weddings not too long ago & the groom-to-be met the bride halfway down the aisle, I thought that was cool!
    Posted by kimp67[/QUOTE]

I watched this episode as well and it was cute.  I think your idea sounds nice, a good compromise.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    It sounds really lovely to me.  I think it's a great way to incorporate your parents, while still walking down the aisle together. :)
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards