North Carolina-Outer Banks

2011 rates

As I am writing this I feel so sick to my stomach... we booked our house thinking the date would be under "off season" rates... because that's what the 2010 rental book showed-- Now we just found out it is considered to be in season ... so it's more than $1,000 more!   I'm sick to my stomach... has this happened to anyone else?  We were planning to get married 9/10/11... now I don't know what will happen.

Sad bride 

Re: 2011 rates

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm sorry to say, yes, this happened to me too. We are planning our wedding for 10/9/11. Beach Realty gave us a rate for a rental home we planned to use to host the reception which quickly doubled once they found out the house was for a 2011 wedding. We ended up scraping our rental house wedding plan and going with The Pearl Restaurant instead. What I've heard from vendors in OBX is that because this is becoming a more popular wedding destination, they are increasing their rates accordingly. I guess it's the price you pay for marrying at the beach! I hope you find another venue/vendors who will get you what you're looking for!

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing the pearl too.  Have you picked your menu or cake yet?
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thats a bummer!  I saw that the realty company we used changed the weeks for next year.  I do think thats something they should have let you know about when you booked.  We booked the same week for our wedding this past year I can't imagine that happening as it would have been almost 3k more.   I'm sure you've already got things planned so you can't even change weeks at this point though.   Is it possible to see if there are any other houses available that would also work?  Or like pp's said try and find a non rental house venue?  I'm sorry I'm not much help :(
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • alibavalibav member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

thanks for your comments... I think we've got it worked out and we will be able to stay in the same house... but UGGHHH what a morning/afternoon of stressing out!   

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    YESS!!! This happened to me just a month ago!  I had my home pre-reserved since April and when they sent the contract, the owner increased ALL of her homes by $1000!!!  I was sooo upset!  It really bothers me that these owners advertise for a wedding/event home KNOWING that brides plan well in advance and then turn around and jack the rate up!

I do feel your pain and Im so sorry this happened!

• dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

This happened to me twice already!!  We reserved a house based on the same week in 2010 - and both times when the leases came out, the rates were at least $1,000 more!!  It is terrible!  But - I think in the end it all worked out for the best... we ended up with Rendezvous in Corolla (which at the time we made the other reservations was unavailable for my wedding week), and it is amazing!! 

• alibavalibav member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It just seems like a bad policy... I expected a little bit of an increase.. but more than $1,000 when you're planning a wedding is too much!   I wish they could set their fees when the home is booked. 
  • HStaffordHStafford member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The exact same thing happened to me!  When you fill out the pre reservation form it says you can get your $100 deposit back if they increase the rates by more than 10% so I didn't think that it would be that bad.  However, they raised my rates by $2,500!!!  I was so mad when it happened, I'm shocked to hear that this is a common theme there... how disappointing
  • evenundomielevenundomiel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the thing is...they lowered rates a little in the past couple years because of the recession. now they're going back up to normal. the outer banks is also the number one destination wedding location on the east coast...so expect rates to continue to rise!!!

bad for brides...but people will pay it..and ultimately, it's good for the area. 
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
      I am owner of The Love Boat...prehaps one of the best known and most popular
    wedding/event homes on the Outer Banks...We have been the first in many catagories and are always trying to improve.  Ultimately...we care first about your event...and we know that if we deliver...we are likely to see you back on our island again at one of our businesses...and hopefull your friends and families too.
    I have been listening to a lot of brides and grooms...and most seem very frustrated with all the fees the property management companies are charging.....right/wrong...good or bad....so....starting in 2012...we are managing the property ourselves...and NO MORE FEES....understand...the owners get very little from the fees to begin with...so by managing the property ourselves...we can pass that savings onto the guest...
    if you need more information contact me at joe@spakoru.com
    and you guys keep it up...you can improve the way business is done...helping those that follow...and ultimately...that is good for the area
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards