Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

HELP! My ring fell off!!!

I got engaged in August when DC is super muggy and humid. I've heard that your fingers swell in the heat and shrink in the cold. As the temperature has been dropping, my ring has been much looser and today it actually fell off while I was folding laundry.  Now I don't feel safe wearing it outside of the house for fear it will fall off in the Metro or something and I'll never see it again!

It was a tiny bit loose when I first got it, but I didn't think it needed resizing. It is a platinum band with a pave setting, and my fiance read that altering is difficult. I've seen the silicon cushion solution on amazon, but wonder if it is safe to use? The plastic ring snuggies look big and bulky.

What did you do to temporarily resize your ring??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: HELP! My ring fell off!!!

• Options
    I used the ring snuggies until I got it resized. It wasn't too bulky and I got used to it pretty quickly.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    I had a jewelry store put a metal resizer, and it left marks in the platinum of my ring (platinum scratches easily). I was very upset. I use tape now, but is definitely not the most attractive solution.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies. I'm going to call the jeweler today and see what is possible with this setting.

@lalap69 - it didn't fit tightly in August, but I figured it was good to have a little wiggle room since I'll be wearing it my whole life, and my fingers could get fatter in the future. I didn't know I'd have so much wiggle room in just a few months!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had beads (are these the same as the resizers?) added to my ring before I had it resized.  They helped immensely and I no longer feared that my ring would fall off.  Since I was engaged in late fall, I wanted to wait until summer to see how much my hand would swell (opposite of your problem).  Once I knew, I had the beads removed and made the ring a size smaller.
  • Options
    I got the little beads too.  I've just left them on.  It makes it still fit in the summer and winter. Took a little bit of time to get used to them though.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_ring-fell-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:65ae71b1-9906-48f1-9623-17267d45f65dPost:e6faf498-54cb-4dea-872d-9b769b4c70f0">Re: HELP! My ring fell off!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]@lalap69 - it didn't fit tightly in August, but I figured it was good to have a little wiggle room since I'll be wearing it my whole life, and my fingers could get fatter in the future. I didn't know I'd have so much wiggle room in just a few months!
    Posted by ambermorley[/QUOTE]
    It'll definitely be worthwhile to get it sized then.  If your fingers are fluctuating that much, you're going to want it to be tight when your finger is at its largest so that you don't lose it when your fingers shrink!

I have a similar issue with my ring.  When my fingers swell, it actually hurts a little because it's tight.  But when my hands are cold, the ring spins around my finger like it's a pencil!  Thankfully it doesn't slip over my knuckles.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Amber, I also live in DC and got my heirloom engagement ring sized in July when it was really hot. They suggested I get it sized a little smaller than what seems right and that has really worked out. It gets a little loose when it I am super cold in the office, but it has never come close to going over my knuckle.

Since you are sizing down it shouldn't be TOO expensive because you shouldn't have to buy any platinum. I would talk to the jeweler you bought the ring from about having it sized. I had mine done at Tiny Jewel Box on Conneticut in the Dupont area and they did a really good job and it was only about $120.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I thought I had mutant hands, so I'm glad to hear it isn't just me! My ring is from Blue Nile, who does free resizing the first year. I sent it off today with all kinds of insurance. I really hope I can get it back to show off back home at Christmas! Our families haven't seen it yet.

Anna - thanks for the tip!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards