Registry and Gift Forum

Co-worker stalking my registry...

I ran into one of my co-workers over the weekend. I don't know her very well (we work in different departments.) We made small talk for a minute, then she says this out of nowhere:

"I looked up your wedding registries. You have a lot of stuff on there. You don't really think people will buy all those things for you, do you?"

Weird! This woman knows I'm engaged, but like I said, I barely know her--I certainly haven't shared my wedding registry info with her LOL! I have never spoken with her about my wedding, other than when she heard I was engaged and told me congrats when she ran into me in the hallway.

I guess her comment was a bit snooty, but I just find it funny. I mean, I've stalked registries before for weddings where I knew the couple but wasn't invited (just out of curiosity!) but I would never admit it to them!

Haha. Just thought I would share...

Re: Co-worker stalking my registry...

• Her comment was obnoxious. I hope you continue to ignore her... or at least use a snappy comeback.
  • I totally stalk registries of everyone I know even if I'm not invited to their wedding.  I may make comments to myself about them but I would never ever ever say anything to anybody about their registry or wedding for that matter.  This sounds to me to be a bit of jealously on her part.  Just laugh it off!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That woman is so rude!  Just ignore her.  You are doing all the right things here by not discussing the wedding with your coworkers.

FI's grooman's wife (who is a friend of mine) said something similar to me.  We are having a very large and formal wedding, so our register is significantly larger than hers was.  She told me I must feel awfully entitled to feel like I deserved all those gifts.  I was so taken aback!  I don't expect anything.  Since then I've completely stopped talking about the wedding with her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_co-worker-stalking-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:24ae2e1a-57b4-48a1-8f81-95d55a2efc04Post:63c2350a-43f7-4fd6-90b6-ce7a921dbcee">Re: Co-worker stalking my registry...</a>:
    [QUOTE]That woman is so rude!  Just ignore her.  You are doing all the right things here by not discussing the wedding with your coworkers. FI's grooman's wife (who is a friend of mine) said something similar to me.  We are having a very large and formal wedding, so our register is significantly larger than hers was.  <strong>She told me I must feel awfully entitled to feel like I deserved all those gifts.</strong>  I was so taken aback!  I don't expect anything.  Since then I've completely stopped talking about the wedding with her.
    Posted by SCogs18[/QUOTE]

What a biatch!

I also look up the registries of people I know, whether or not I'm invited to the wedding. I just think it's fun. But I would never admit that to the person, and I would never comment about their registries! So rude!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Wow, that chick is a total jealous b****. Considering you don't see or talk to her often anyway, it won't be hard to ignore further convos. 
  • You're damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to registries. Too small, and you're not giving guests enough suggestions. Too large, and you're accused of greed. I think it's best we all just develop thick skins when it comes to registries and register for what we need and want (within the usual limits).

I "stalk" even strangers' registries, because my legal work has me googling parties and witnesses, and wedding registries come up. They're not usually relevant or helpful, though.
  • Wow, that is rude AND creepy.  If someone had asked me the same question, I'd probably say something "Why yes, I do think that people will buy all those things" and walk away, haha.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • OK that just makes her look weird for looking at your registry. She's dumb. We've all looked up weird random things on the internet we would never tell anyone about (G-rated duh).
  • I also just recently found out the other day that I had a co worker stalking my registry.  She commented to me that since she had a shotgun wedding she never had a registry and all the things that I am having and is living through me vicariously. At first I though she was sweet but then she went and commented regarding the amount of things on the registry and how much certain things cost and couldn't believe that people were actually buying them for us. I have since found out that she has been telling other coworkers that she is appalled that I am having the type of wedding(eparty/bridal showers etc...) I am having since I am "pushing 40".
    Oh well....I have a long time for all of this and I am going to enjoy every minute of it.

Some people are just mean spirited and jealous. Don't let her get to you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_co-worker-stalking-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:24ae2e1a-57b4-48a1-8f81-95d55a2efc04Post:f6d22526-33b9-48c1-86a9-fc0eb2e81021">Re: Co-worker stalking my registry...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>You're damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to registries. Too small, and you're not giving guests enough suggestions. Too large, and you're accused of greed.</strong> I think it's best we all just develop thick skins when it comes to registries and register for what we need and want (within the usual limits). I "stalk" even strangers' registries, because my legal work has me googling parties and witnesses, and wedding registries come up. They're not usually relevant or helpful, though.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]

this is so true - and so unfair! weddings with too small of registries where there are no options left even a month in advance of the wedding makes it very difficult to buy a gift that you know the couple will like. we are trying to make a large registry with a huge variety of gifts at different pricepoints, and have been accused of being greedy for putting larger items like a kitchenaid on our registry.  we really just want to give people tons of options!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards