Texas-Austin
Options

Using Early Wedding Gifts

I'm curious whether other brides who registered early and received gifts well in advance of the wedding are using those gifts or saving them for later?  The tradition of FI's family and friends is to send engagement gifts, so we are in the very fortunate position of already having received quite a few of the things from our registries.  At first I felt like we should wait to start using the gifts but they seem so lonely sitting in a corner in the closet!  I was just wondering what other people would do in this situation.  It's a very good problem to have :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Using Early Wedding Gifts

• Options
    SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The reason people don't use wedding related gifts before the wedding is because if the wedding doesn't happen (god forbid something happens to one of you or you break up), it is proper etiquette to return the gifts. You wouldn't want to box up and return used gifts, right? 

I wouldn't use them. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have no room in our house to store a bunch of unopened gifts. We got a ton of gifts at my shower this past weekend. Yes, the reason that you aren't supposed to use them is that if something happens you need to return them. We don't anticipate anything happening (but really who would??) but we are aware that if something did happen we would have to buy these things and return to people. I think it's really your decision. I know my friends/family want us to get use out of this stuff now rather than have it sit (i don't know where!) for months collecting dust. But is really just personal preference.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would use it. Especially if your wedding is pretty close. My shower is Aug 11th (wedding is Sep. 25th) and the gifts I get from there I am going to use right away. If something ever did happen I understand I would have to buy and return those gifts to the giver.
    Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • Options
    mistyleonmistyleon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The what if you have to return the gifts situation was one of my biggest concerns.  FI isn't worried about it, but since he knows I am a worrier, he didn't seem to be offended that I was planning for the worst.  :)  I was thinking that we might just use the items from his closer family members, since in the unlikely and unfortunate event we had to return the gifts, I think their last concern would be inheriting a used crockpot.  This is all foreign to me since my family is so into wedding gifts and registries that they thought I was registered at "Cracker Barrel" (rather than Crate & Barrel).

Thanks for your help, ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    love the "cracker barrel"  =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It is customary to return gifts if you break up before the wedding, but we were both confident that wouldn't happen. Seriously as soon as we got a package on our doorstep we'd open it and use it. If it was a waffle iron, it was waffles for dinner that night! haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards