Snarky Brides
Options

Appliance Help?

H and I are shopping for appliances and the more I shop around the more confused I get. Originally I was thinking of going with something on the higher end. I am leaning towards Electrolux but I am also considering Kitchen Aid. Both of those brands seem to have a fair share of bad reviews so I started looking at a lower end brand so that we aren't out so much $ if something were to happen but they get bad reviews too. I am starting to wonder if this is just because people tend to only post bad reviews? Does anyone have an opinion or advice on this? Are higher end appliances worth the money? Anyone want to rec their appliances? 

Oh and just some general info, we budgeted for the higher end appliances and these are going in what we are planning on being our forever home. Just in case that affects your answer. 

Re: Appliance Help?

• Options
    Do you want them to all be the same brand? I just asked for advice from some friends on fridges, and the 2 people that responded really like the LG stainless french door ones with the icemakers on the outside. I would have gotten them- but my current home is not my forever home and we couldn't rationalize the spending of extra monies for that reason. (We went with a Kenmore)

And for the most part I would ignore the random bad reviews and only worry about if there seem to be a lot of reviews with systemic issues- there will always be lemons and those people might write reviews, but it probably is just a lemon as opposed to all those appliances have that issue.

I don't know about Electrolux- but it sure is a pretty brand! :)
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    We would prefer if they are all the same brand but I am thinking about maybe just doing the electrolux range because fridges and dishwashers all look pretty similar. 

• Options
    We tend to buy LG products. But the fridge we bought about 6 years ago I would not buy again. It freezes everything on the left side which is close to the ice maker. I think they have fixed this.

We are looking at GE stove, but I love our LG W/D.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My mom calls Whirlpool the "cadillac" of appliances.  How true that is, I have no idea. 

Sorry I can't be of more help.  But I hope you find what you're looking for!
    panther
  • Options
    We bought all Whirpool Gold Series.  We have no issues with them.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    Our house has all Whirlpool Gold, and they're all original to the house and still trucking along 12 years later (knock on wood).

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    We just bought a suite, but were more towards the lower end.  We ended up with a full set from Samsung and are really pleased so far.

I know the GE Profile line is pretty decent.

Do you know what you want in terms of features?  I know for me, I want my forever-home range to be induction. 
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I dont remember exactly, because you are only allotted 1500 total for energy saver tax deductions and that includes everything from appliances to new windows/garage doors etc.   But I think we got to claim outs because they are energy efficient.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    I don't really care for induction either way. If I understand correctly your pots and pans need to be compatible and ours aren't and they are brand new (wedding gift). I've also never used induction so I probably just don't know what I am missing out on. I care more about the oven and having even and consistent baking temperatures. 

I have done more research on Electrolux than anything and they have some features that I really like but they aren't things that I have to have. I am just starting to second guess myself because of the price. 

• Options
    raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I'd suggest going into an appliance store (only appliances, not a furniture/beds/applicances annoying place) and talking with someone.  Describe your wants, budget, etc.  They'll know best about what would fit.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Oh, that's a good point Blue. We were going to apply for an energy efficient grant because we are using spray foam insulation, and geothermal, etc. The government stopped offering it but there has been some talk of them bringing it back. We'll have to see if there is anything that applies to appliances, either with that grant or somewhere else. 
  • Options
    CHEWY DON'T YOU HAVE SOME LABOR YOU SHOULD BE DOING.
    panther
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Raynes, we live 2 hours from the closest appliance only store so I am trying to do the bulk of my research online. That would be a lot easier though :)
  • Options
    reilsreils member
    First Comment
    Koda, we don't have a gas line run to the house so a gas range isn't an option for us. I like knowing that your Bosch DW works good though. That's good to know. Thanks! 

Thanks for all the info, ladies! 
  • Options
    We rent and I've rented a LOT of places since I graduated high school and where we are now has the worst dishwaser I've ever come across. It's the GE quietpower 1. Don't even look at it. It's terrible!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards