Honeymoon Discussions

Cruise for a honeymoon

Has anyone ever been to a cruise for their honeymoon? My fiance and I are thinking of going on a cruise for our honeymoon in the caribbean yet we are looking for any advice from anyone. 
Thanks for your help. 

Re: Cruise for a honeymoon

• Check out cruisecritic.com and read the overviews of all the major lines that offer itineraries to the Caribbean (or a specific location there if you have an island on your must-see list).  Once you find a line or two that suits your style, you can then start looking at a specific itinerary.

When I booked my 2009 cruise, I sued cruisecompete.com which is an online engine that allows you to enter your specific cruise information (line, date, ship) and will then generate a variety of quotes from various agents.  The service is completely free and I would definitely use it again, as we ended up with onboard credit and a bottle of wine in our stateroom once we got there.
  • Thank you so much for the info. I am checking it out right now. Thanks again.
  • We're doing a cruise for our honeymoon and told them it was for a honeymoon and they are giving us a cake! :) Not like we need it! haha No matter what you end up doing, you should mention what it's for and maybe you'll get other perks like a room upgrade, honeymoon suite, bottle of champagne, etc.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We did a mediteranean cruise for our hm.  It was great to see a bunch of places that we otherwise wouldn't have done or done in one trip.  But, we discovered we weren't huge fans of cruising in general.  The days at sea were really boring and we felt there wasn't much to do on the ship for our age group.  We also didn't like how expensive the drinks were.  
  • I've been on 3 cruises and will be doing a 4th for our honeymoon in November.  I highly recommend it.  I've cruised with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean - both were fantastic.  The staff was very accommodating and friendly.  The food was plentiful and absolutely delicious.  The entertainment was fun, although cheesy at times, but we enjoyed it.  

I've done both an outside stateroom and inside.  I'm nervous to do a balcony, as I do get sea sick (although I've been fine on past cruises).  I personally don't think an outside stateroom is worth the price difference from an inside stateroom.  It's nice to have sunlight in your room, but for the amount of time we spent in our room during the day, we didn't find it worth it.

The value you get for your money on a cruise is incredible.  One of the cruises I was on ended up costing around $90 per night (per person) and that includes your room, all of your food, and drinks such as iced tea and juices (soda and alcohol costs extra, but I believe some cruise lines now have special drink packages).

Cruise Critic is a great resource to use for any information you may need.  You can research cruise lines, ships, destinations, excursions, etc.

Good luck planning your HM!
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Cruises are great. 

The problem with a cruise HM is that most cruises leave on a Sunday & most weddings are on a Saturday.  It's a terrible idea to fly to your port of departure the day of your cruise.  Too much can go wrong causing you to miss the ship. 

If you can otherwise work out the timing, they are fun.
  • I have been on 5 cruises, but would not reccommend a cruise for a honeymoon. Cruises are a blast, but is not a quiet, romantic couple trip for what most have in mind for a honeymoon. Your room is tiny, you are always on the go, you have to eat with others and be ready at specified times, lots of kids, lots of other honeymooners that takes away from the "special" feeling you should get, etc. I prefer a slower paced destination to just one place for my honeymoon. We did a cruise for fun in October that left out of Puerto Rico and was 7 nights and went to St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St, Maarten, Barbados and St Kitts. Was amazing to see so many places. We have chosen to go to Aruba for a week for our honeymoon so we can relax and be on our time schedule for a week and be as active or lazy as we wish :-)
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cruise-honeymoon-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:392045a1-4012-4cae-8bb9-2151a3f005c0Post:7d23abb7-52aa-459a-92de-2a4591717bac">Re: Cruise for a honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been on 5 cruises, but would not reccommend a cruise for a honeymoon. Cruises are a blast, but is not a quiet, romantic couple trip for what most have in mind for a honeymoon. Your room is tiny, you are always on the go, <strong>you have to eat with others</strong> and be ready at specified times, lots of kids, lots of other honeymooners that takes away from the "special" feeling you should get, etc. I prefer a slower paced destination to just one place for my honeymoon. We did a cruise for fun in October that left out of Puerto Rico and was 7 nights and went to St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St, Maarten, Barbados and St Kitts. Was amazing to see so many places. We have chosen to go to Aruba for a week for our honeymoon so we can relax and be on our time schedule for a week and be as active or lazy as we wish :-)
    Posted by lvissers[/QUOTE]

To each their own, but H and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon and LOVED it! I don't know about other cruise lines, but I can tell you from experience that Royal Caribbean now offers "My Time" Dining where you are able to request a two person table. Children were practically invisible and we chose a cruise that had a relaxed itinerary with several days of total downtime at sea.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

ETA: We also chose a cruise that left a week and a half after our wedding to avoid scheduling issues or rushing around the day after.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards